Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 11-17-2003, 06:43 PM

What do you think contributed most to the poor (or relatively so) fishing? I've had more success there with plugs than I have with bait... very odd...

Shortest with the mostest... is mostest actually a word?
Old 11-17-2003, 06:43 PM

What do you think contributed most to the poor (or relatively so) fishing? I've had more success there with plugs than I have with bait... very odd...

Old 11-17-2003, 09:00 PM
SS/Veteran

well seeing that i'm the first one that voted,you know what i picked,but i really think that it was due to all the storms,in the fall any ways,i didn't start fishing the refuge until the end of sept. i was in my boat in the river and it slowed down in there as well after the second week of aug.so i really think that the water temp.must have drove them all up north and then the storms in the fall made them skip the pi refuge seeing that it's kinda a inlet with a jetty on one end and land on the other end they just didn't stop by,but i did see some nice keepers caught,just none by me

tattoobob

family,fishing life is good oh ya tattoos

Keeper of the light
Old 11-17-2003, 11:09 PM

I really think there were fewer quality fish there this year. lots of schoolies, but the schoolies were everywhere this year.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 AM

I moved here to the Cape in the Fall but through August, I had one of my best years for big bass in the Plum Island area.

I did not answer the poll.

Bill H.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:21 PM

I had only one trip in late May, resulting in half a dozen 25-28 inch fish. After that, I managed just a few more trips for the year and got skunked on all but one of those. Last year, although I did fish more, there just seemed to me more critters around... I saw more bait in the river, and more signs of life out front...

Old 11-29-2003, 07:28 PM

Just dropped in and saw your poll...

I wrote a six paragraph article in response to your question but got timed out and was dumped out of the forum. I'll quickly recap.

It's a good question and your premises are valid. Re: Why the bass fishing at PI seemed "Off" this year, IMHO, it's a combination of many factors. There were and always will be guys who do consistently well at PI. Some years more people will do well than other years. Some times of the year are better than others.

But the water was too cold a good part of the year and there was less bait around then previous years because of this colder water. With less bait around, the larger bass will be less prevalent because larger bass tend to stick with the larger bait pods or stick to structure in areas where these bait pods will be easily and frequently intercepted.

Next season we may find the water warmed up earlier and closer to shore and see more shore anglers faring better. Who knows. I'm not the expert. But I have fished this piece of coast since 1975 and have seen it change from season to season. It has its good years and its lean years. The lean years I head south to RI. This was a very good second half season in RI for me after a first half season of so-so trips to PI/Salisbury/Seabrook/Hampton catching mostly schoolies and bass to 32". The water in RI was warmer. The fish were more cooperative. There was a lot more bait in the water and we caught a lot more species of fish, too.

So, in your poll, I checked "BAIT" but don't feel that the answer is really all that simple.

JimiDaBeachBumm
"Life's a beach!"
Old 01-16-2004, 01:53 PM

I saw a great many big fish taken this year. By friends and my husband. Our freezer is full. Not to say we didn't have a lot of skunk days but we had a lot of great days too. There were a lot of schoolies and of course I still didn't catch my big one. I thought it was a good year, but could have been better. I think ya have to try harder.RE:spend more time at it. Everything was late though and it did seem like they skipped by us in the fall.

HAPPY FISHING & TIGHT LINES
NANCE <@>>>>>>><
Old 01-16-2004, 05:23 PM

I was up there at least twice a week some times more and I got screwed from early September till I put my gear away in late October. I fished all over and with several experts who knew the area well. I got skunked so many times at the refuge I cant count, using everything in the book and all techniques.

Me, I dont keep bass or any fish for that matter but if I did I would have a freezer full of Skate, besides bass fillets only last a maximum of 3 months in the deep freeze anyhow.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:50 AM

That depends on how you freeze it, of course it's not as good as the day you caught it but I've managed to have some excellent meals of frozen striper up to 6 months. Usually the frozen stuff gets used by then Maybe sometimes the experts are wrong and the books should be tossed in the drink! Just go fishing. Sometimes when you least expect it the fish will surprize you. And they always seem to bite when you're doing something else. The minute you look away.....well you know.

NANCE <@>>>>>>><
Old 01-31-2004, 04:12 PM

I think this year I'm just going to throw the tide charts out the window and experiment, top to bottom. Never really tried bucktails off of the beach, but I've always wondered how one of those crawled along the bottom would fair against a swimming plug sloshing away up top...

I need to take a good look at the backwater areas too, around some of the smaller rivers with either eels or some smallish plugs. I think the thing that killed me last season, now that I think about it, was that I was way too one dimentional in each trip. One outing would be swimming plugs, never really mixing things up in the water column. The next outing it would be just bait on the bottom, not moving nearly enough once 15-20 minutes passed without a strike. But Jimmy brought up a good point... I never once saw any large pods of bait. Oh well, back to the drawing board

Mmmmm... turkey
Old 02-22-2004, 04:22 PM

There is a definate lack of structure on the refuge. The only thing I can think of is that it has trmendous rips. That must be what bring the fish in. My husband and I mostly baitfish so it's a cast and wait thing. With 5-6 rods in the water we always get something. We did have shut out days last year but before that we never ever got shut out. I think we (my husband) got 12 keepers last year.

NANCE <@>>>>>>><
Old 02-23-2004, 01:08 AM

Hmmm... I think I need to start getting back to basics, and just use a few lures each time out... I don't think I'll ever use half the lures I have now (and it's not that many) but now I have this lathe that needs breaking in

Mmmmm... turkey