Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 04-15-2000, 07:30 PM

I was wondering,What are the best tides to fish the canal? Also does fresh dead herring work as well as live herring?

Thanks in advance and tight lines
Old 04-15-2000, 07:30 PM

I was wondering,What are the best tides to fish the canal? Also does fresh dead herring work as well as live herring?

Thanks in advance and tight lines
Old 04-15-2000, 09:00 PM

stupid question by a stupid kid

Just kiddin' i don't have much experience dealing with fishing the canal. Hope others do.

Tight Lines
Gumby
Old 04-16-2000, 02:35 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

The east end of the canal is pretty good, especially at low tide. I think you would do better with a dead herring if you chunked it.

------------------
Bob
bob@stripersurf.com

Old 04-16-2000, 05:11 AM

i dont know much about tide but if you can get live herring fish the run- stripers cant resist slamming the sh*t out of live herring

------------------
Old 04-18-2000, 10:48 PM

The best time to fish the canal is when the fish are hitting. The early season from May to June is best on the Last part of the west run and the beginning of the east change. The primary area is from poles 200 to pole 230 on the main land side where the run is located. Live herring work the best,but whole dead ones driffted in the current will be deadly at times. When the current is running toward the east end spent more time on the left side of the run . When the current is running toward the west end fish on the right side of the run. White swimming plugs work well during this time frame. I prefer the split back pearl bomber. Shad body jigs also work well,white, green, 4to 6 inch bodies. AS the mackeral go so go the bass. The east end will liven up with mackeral at some time during june and once this happens the bass will start to lose interest in the herring and will start to feed on the mackeral. The herring will also start to dry up at this period. The large concintration of bass will distribute itself along the whole water way at this time also. The first run of bass may have fish in the high teens so make sure you have at least 30 pound test on the reel. If the wieght of the herring flexes the rod to much than I recommend you try another with more backbone. Use a reel that has a large capacity and a good working drag system. 704z,750 spinning examples or penn 980 or abu 7000 on the conventional. It is also reccomended that you have rubber core sinkers from 1/4 3/8 1/2 3/4 ounces on hand if fishing the whole herring dead. Any more questions on the mid summer and late run would be better answered at that time. The rod length should not be more than 9 feet when live lining or floating dead herring. Do not forget to take out what you bring in and leave the place looking like your home. ANGLER