Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 04-04-2005, 01:24 PM

Hey my fellow Mass-holes. It's pretty quiet in this side of the forums. Anybody trying for any holdovers? There have been reports of holdovers in the charles river and the mystic river over the past few weeks, I've tried with no sucess, but I'm not giving up, especially with the nice weather we are going to get this week.

I assume this forum will perk up around the second week of may when the schoolies arrive?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:24 PM

Hey my fellow Mass-holes. It's pretty quiet in this side of the forums. Anybody trying for any holdovers? There have been reports of holdovers in the charles river and the mystic river over the past few weeks, I've tried with no sucess, but I'm not giving up, especially with the nice weather we are going to get this week.

I assume this forum will perk up around the second week of may when the schoolies arrive?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:25 PM

Yah I have been checking out some area's of water myself. I just want to cast my arm off to get the rust off. Waiting sucks. I know that the lawernece dam may be picking up soon!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:39 PM

Not a whole lot to talk about now.Yes,holdovers are being taken in said rivers.Around Mother's Day,there should be stripers up on the North Shore.South facing Cape Beaches will get them sooner..
Old 04-05-2005, 10:19 AM

im going to try to get to the locks this weekend. any reports of hering?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:39 PM

The charles locks?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:09 PM

I would bet herring are schooling up at the charles locks, and started up the mystic by now.

Still too cold for bass to be feeding, even in the river. A few more days like this, and the river will crack 48 degrees and the bite will be on.

A friend said Herring are running in RI, Some scouts should be starting here anyday.

My herring diary usually has my first siting of herring at watertown dam at 4/15. The holdovers appear then too it seems. I check every couple days.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:29 AM

people are fishing for bass already, I see them along storrow when I drive in. I know they are not carp fishermen because they are using lures and big tackle, not doughballs.

Also have seen some boats in the lower basin. I also doubt anyone is catching anything yet. a couple weeks and it will start up.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:42 AM

Hey guys, caught a holdover in the charles yesterday on the cambridge side. About 14" and very healthy looking. I was pretty damn excited, first striper of the year for me!

Also got a big hit by a largemouth, but my drag was set too loose and I lost it!! Stupid newbie mistake I guess.

anyways, they are there, give it a shot.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:26 AM

What were you using Rockport? Starting to see herring in all the vineyard runs now.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:49 AM

used a 4" chartuese tsunami swimming shad. I knew those would work! The charles water is kind of dark, so maybe the fish can see it better.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:02 PM

if the fish are in the charles locks im there!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:41 PM

I guess you must be getting the fish near the surface? I went catfishing in the charles today and the surface temp was 47 and the bottom temp 44. Too cold for stripers as far as I know. But I suppose the dark water might get warm enough on 60 degree days like today?

How dark was the bass? For some reason I get holdovers that are really dark - maybe the tannin from leaves on the river bottom.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:36 AM

yeah, I wasn't running the shad too deep, mostly because the bottom of the charles in a junkyard and if you let it run too deep, you WILL get snagged. The fish I got was bright white, looked like it could have come from Plum Island!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:08 AM

what does it have gps on it how would u know it came from plum Island? it's just a hold over!