Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 07-22-2005, 07:35 AM

I don't ! Fished three hours off the mouth of Bass River yesterday. Released six fluke under 15"; but nothing to bring home.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:05 AM
SS/Veteran

Me either, Bill..A trip to Lucas got cancelled last weekend due to the fog. I did manage to do some flounder fishing in the bay though and got enough to have a few good meals..Lots of skates and sea robins but some nice flatties too.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:14 AM

i fished that neck of the woods all last week. the tire dump didn't have alot of action but all that came up were healthy keepers. kill pond had alot of action but not alot of keepers. b/c had a little bit of everything. took a ride up to race pt on friday evening to fish the surf lots of rat blues and a big girl came home w/ me. a fun week of cape fishing
Old 07-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Fluke! Bah!Silly flat fish that taste good,but fight like a sea robin!
OK Endorfin,start throwing the thunderbolts!
BTW,havent even gotten an accidental one from the surf yet this year...
Old 07-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Before you start stoning me,a question.Do you ever get them from the beach up there? I never really target them,but last year got a few decent sized ones(4 1/2 and 2 1/2 lbs) From the beach,all by accident.There are a lot of people that get them in the surf here in Jersey.How about up there?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:14 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm gonna hurt you Bob!! When will you appreciate those delicious fiesty fighting fluke!!!!! Ya, sometimes get them off the beach and definately in the canal, but last year was a bust and so far in the canal I get the doggies when I try for fluke.Gottog could list the finer points of flattie fishing better than me.. but at least they taste great!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:16 PM

Rag,
We occasionally get one bait fishing in the surf. The wire line guys often get them around Monomoy on their jig.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:35 PM
SS/Veteran

As you know if you put food out anything will eat it. Biggest one I caught was about 6 pounds on chunk herring

those dog fish are getting worse and worse every year

Keeper of the light
Old 07-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Endorfin,
Fiesty fighting fluke? Sounds like a high school football team...
I know you NE guys(and gals) dont use clam much,so what is the prefered bait up there? Here it is squid strips and live killies,but the ones I have gotten from the surf have been on clam while trying for stripers.When I tried targeting them with the usual methods and rigs,got nothing...
Old 07-25-2005, 06:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Well Bobby Not that I've been getting any lately, but I've always done best with sand eels, although I've tipped jigs with squid too. "Gimme an F, Gimme an L, gimme a UKE!!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Bobby? Rah rah rah,sis boom bah,fluke,fluke,bah fluke! Give me a fightin sea robin any day!
Back to the topic,do you use live sand eels,or frozen? Down here killies are the live bait to use,(my kid used to trap them and sell them to B&T's and head boats when he was 10 years old).And of course,there are the small snapper blues...
Old 07-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

TattooBob,
Believe it or not,I havent gotten a doggie or sea robin yet this year.Last year at this time,thats all I was getting.Not that I'm complaining mind you...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Oh God. That's right. You've trained them to take poppers!!! OK. I give up, but you still dont know what you're missing!...hey, I'm going to bed, but I'll leave you with one thought......Muskrat Love, by Captain and Tenille..may that tune get stuck in your head for awhile
Old 07-27-2005, 08:17 AM

I can't top "Muscrat Love" but often end up whistling "Maggie May". So often, I named my boat same.

Anyway, I thought the question was about bait "up here".

I've worked in two B&Ts on the Cape and the top bait in each has been Sandeels cause there's more of them here than anything else - especially since Cod went scarce. We do carry frozen clams for you Joisey guys though...
Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Thanks ONSHORE,
Was more curious than anything on what works there.Killies and squid strips are the thing here,but snapper blues also attract the large.This should make Endorfin happy,supposed to go out in my sons BOAT off the beach for FLUKE... However,he is also bringing the heavy gear in case those silly flat fish dont cooperate.Then we are going further off for shark or tuna...