Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 09-20-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Bluefish Saved The Day

I had Mike Bartlett from NH out with me this morning out of Blish Point to fish Barnstable Harbor. The predicted 5-10 SW wind turned out to be 25-35 before 8 AM. A very low tide. We fished all over but only found a few small Stripers on Peanut Bunker on the East Bar. Fished for three hours with little luck, then headed in.

Just off Blish Point and all of a sudden, there were terns and gulls diving over breaking fish covering a couple acres. We headed around them and up wind and drifted down to them. Barely 30-40 ft. casts brough a Bluefish nearly every cast and the action lasted non-stop for well over an hour. Only one other boat was in on the blitzing action before it ended. Small Surf Candies
in Blue over Silver over White were just the ticket. These fish were feeding on Silver Sides.

Turned out to be a nice day on the water with an old friend and a great, if late breakfast at Grumpy's on the way home.

Mike is down here to run a couple meetings in Falmouth tomorrow and Thursday to make sure the Cape Wind project to place 120 Windmills in Nantucket Sound doesen't fly. He is Northeast Field Manager for the US Fish & Wildlife Service.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Bluefish Saved The Day

Good for him. I would hate to see those windmills ever happen.
Glad you had a good time Bill. Out front must have been kicked up pretty good by the afternoon?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Endorfin how did you do last night? we guts to know

Bill great report thanks for sharing
Old 09-20-2005, 09:10 PM
SS/Veteran

Well, I was up all night, but spent it sitting with the dog on top of me;he's been a little off the last day or so,and he gave me that look, when I was packing up my gear--I couldn't leave!! I ended up taking him to the vet and turns out he has an infection in his mouth. . Glad I made the right decision, but it hurts!..time off and no fishing just isn't right! ..I've been hearing great fish stories the past couple nights in the canal too. Ain't that always the way. . Glad to hear somebody's catching anyway.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Sorry about that I knew he was ill but didn't think it was that bad.
I am glad he will be ok though.

I have also seen pics of some good fish coming out of the canal
(sorry) last night to
Old 09-24-2005, 07:55 AM

His work done running a couple seminars in Falmouth, Mike Bartlett came back to mid-cape Thursday evening and we spent most of yesterday chasing around Cape Cod Bay looking for more fish.

After launching in Sesuit, we spent some time off the Brewster Flats with several other small boats. We only saw one small Striper taken and hooked nothing ourselves.

We did see two Mola Mola's (Ocean Sunfish). One was in about 13 feet of water of Saint's Landing and the other in 10' off Sesuit jetties. We had both seen a number of Molas over the years, but this was the first time we saw two in the same day. The second one swam right alongside the boat and, I'm hoping I got a good picture or two. That fish appeared to be about 4 ft. deep by 5 ft. long.

We ran across the bay to Wellfleet but failed to find anything there and returned to Sesuit mid afternoon. On the way back we saw a third Mola that was dead and appeared to have been run down by a boat.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2005, 01:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Great pic Bill. Those are really cool fish. Too bad about the dead one.