Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 01-19-2004, 03:04 PM

Looking through some catalogs for this coming summer's vacation and stumbled upon a campground in Provincetown.

A few questions,

Is this a goos place to take kids, stuff for them to do

Any partyboats sailing from there for me to do

I'm looking at the 2nd or 3rd week of July... what kind of fishing is there?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:04 PM

Looking through some catalogs for this coming summer's vacation and stumbled upon a campground in Provincetown.

A few questions,

Is this a goos place to take kids, stuff for them to do

Any partyboats sailing from there for me to do

I'm looking at the 2nd or 3rd week of July... what kind of fishing is there?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:50 PM
SS/Platinum

Which campground ? If it is "Dune's Edge",the last time I was there a couple of years ago, they seperated out user groups to keep everyone happy: families with families, single hetro couples with same, etc.. The ideas was to allow families to have there quite time, and singles to raise some cane if they wanted to, etc.. Had no problems when I was there with my young daughters.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:48 AM

Have same opinion but two things come to mind. 1)- July 4th area will be one heck of hard time to get a reservation.
2)- Thought it was pricey @ $38.00 per night.

Size matters!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:23 AM

Yep, that's the place... didn't even check the prices, was trying to do a search for some fishing boats up there first.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
spence

I think the strip in Provincetown isn't what it used to be from an entertainment/shopping standpoint, though the area still is really neat.

Are you prepared to explain to the kids why that strange lady in the corner drinking coffee has a 5 'o clock shadow?

I don't mind cross-dressers, but at least take the time to look nice.

-spence
Old 01-20-2004, 08:05 PM
SS/Platinum

You had to be there around 1969 or so. Wierd

The whole country was in an uproar about several issues. P-Town was Freak Town.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:11 PM
SS/Platinum

But no where near Yuppie Town.Those were the days of ole Cape Cod. Reasonable summer long rentals for college kids. Reasonable cost to purchase a cottage- I mean a real cottage, not a summer castle.Too bad I spent the time trying to chase woman.Never thought of surf-fishing.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 PM

Check out the Cee Jay at McMillian Wharf for some outstanding Fluke and Blackback fishing. They do trips for blues too, but the carnage is too much for me. Call ahead and see what they have been focusing on.

Top spots are the Breakwater during the first of the outgoing, Wood end and long point for bass, even the wharf gets some action if you can get a school of squid in under the lights.

Race point and Herring Cove are some of the most productive beaches on the cape. Race city through high head is good stuff too.

The bayside beaches offer less action until the pamet mouth in truro, but boat action on the harbor and bay is great, and you can always swing around the race by mission bell and off highland light.

There are plenty of fish, and a good ORV will make it easier. Dunes edge is good, plus the truro campgrounds offer a good deal. and there are alot of good people out there who rent cottages if you arent into roughing it.

I stick to truro to avoid the spectacle and high prices of PTOWN. Its relaxed, and you can always go to PTOWN if you need a change of pace. But PTOWN is SOLID bass fishing, and nelson's make their money by putting anglers out where the fish are, so spend some money and have a good time.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:44 PM

let me add this,

Bass tend to move offshore and so its tough in july to hookup. Night, knowing the holes, and good habits like live fresh bait make a bigger difference in july and august. Boats are killing fish during this commercial time, and the shore fishing is a bit slower...

but, there are plenty of fish, and if approached correctly, the july fishing can be very memorable.

Frank covers all this very well in his books. Knowing this, use this time to get in some EXCELLENT fluking.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:36 PM

I don't know that P'Town has changed much for better or worse over the years. I remember we used to take the Sea Scouts to P'town every year from Gloucester on an annual cruise back in the 50's and 60's.

Seems to me I just read that a new musical just opened in Boston, by a P'town writer called Urinville or some such thing. To each his, or her own............

BillH
Old 01-23-2004, 03:16 PM

My family has been vacationing in P-town (camping) for over 30 years now. My mom has spent the past 5 summers and my siblings have also for a while working down there coincidenatally at Dune's Edge Campground. It is a clean, quiet, family oriented campground. Not sure how the prices are in comparison to the others in the area (North Truro Camping Area and the place down in the swamp off Bradford street). Spacious wooded campsites and clean bathroom facilities. Aslo have electricity and water hook ups available. They are very strict about their rules, which is good. Only problem is it fills up quick. Reservations are an absolute necessity. Too many times I have sat in the office and people have come in looking for sights and saying all the other campgrounds are also full.
Great thing about Dune's Edge is it is an easy bike ride or walk into town. Also right next to the bike trails that lead through the National Seashore and it is right next door to Nelson's Bait and Tackle.
If looking for a hotel, check Pilgrim Springs in Truro (next to the police station). Not the greatest or most up to date accomodations, but in the heart of great fishing and is pretty darn cheap.
For partyboats, I also recommend the CeeJay. If looking for a private charter, I recommend the ReelDeal. Guy who runs it is one of the commercial fishermen in the state and really knows his stuff.
If looking for more info, feel free to drop a line.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:32 PM

There is a lot for kids as well. Obviously much centers on the beaches, but the bike trails through the seashore, whaling museam and monument, lighthouses etc. Also you are in striking distance of Wellfleet/Eastham area for more options.

There all also some very very good restaurants (Some are very pricey) and interesting shopping.

We stay in N.Truro and kids are always busy.

JP
Old 01-25-2004, 04:13 PM
SS/Veteran

i'd also like to try this camp ground.does any one know how far to the beach for fishing,like race point and others

thanxs bob

family,fishing life is good oh ya tattoos

Keeper of the light
Old 01-27-2004, 08:16 PM

depends which campground.

Dunes edge puts you a couple miles to race point, a couple to Herring cove, and a half mile to Macmillan wharf where (Trust ME) it is worth taking the flyers shuttle to long point if you plan on fishing during the day (8 bucks each way - scaplers!!)

However, the campground at head of the meadow in north truro puts you right on the backside beach, a short walk sand you can cover between high head and highland light easily. And plenty of bonfires and social gatherings at the town beach.

If you have a car there, you can always drive to ptown and race point. Just my two cents.