Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 05-02-2000, 01:12 PM

Sight Fishing the Flats - Chatham, MA. Monomoy Island
Through these Guides Eyes

The following fishing reports will consist of Inshore Saltwater (Fly) Fishing. It will include Tips, techniques, Habitat, Presentation, Baitology, Flies-Hooks, Moon Fazes, Flats, and even some highlights from last year's fishing reports. Some of which are pretty exciting.

May 1 Ill be on the Cape for the summer, so Ill also keep all of you posted on the latest. Some of the material will come straight from my past experience as chief instructor of the Orvis 2 ½ day saltwater fly fishing schools. Additional material will come from first hand knowledge, gained from my many years of eating, breathing, living and loving the, New England - Cape Cod Inshore Saltwater environment.

All of this material would not be possible if it was not for several mentors who have shared " some of " their lifetime of saltwater experiences with me. Thanks, Bob Benson (www.fishingthecape.com) Rich Benson rpbenson@capecod.net (The 2 brothers who exposed the incredible world class flats fishery-Monomoy Island, to all of us and are the Capes top- flats boat guides), Peter Alves, George Ryan (The Mayor of Monomoy) and of course the great folks at Orvis! So, sit back, relax and enjoy this Truly World Class Destination Fishery!

How to Catch Big Bass on the Flats' in July and August
Part 2
Baitology:

Matching the Hatch: is just as important in the saltwater as in the freshwater. Look into the water. Size, shape, silhouette, profile, action, density, color are all important features of bait and the flies we use to imitate. Natural colors are the best during July and August.

When I used to guide for trout, the first thing I would do before wetting my line would be to study the shoreline. Id let mother nature tell me what fly I should be using. Id look at spider webs, underside of leaves, tops of rocks and sometimes underneath them. Fishing the flats is no different.
Next time your out; look on the shallow edges of the water. The bait you see is the fly you should try.

Ever thrown a fly that was so thin, small and sparsely dressed that it almost resembled a bare hook? If you're on the flats in July and Aug. you should be.

You'll notice small sand colored shrimp ½ in., muma chugs 1-2 in., 1-3 in. sand lances silversides 1 ½ - 3 in. and crabs - dime to silver dollar size. Try to duplicate coloration and profile w/ your fly selection.

Keep your eyes open and you will see 10-20 lb. bass feeding on all the above. Study of bait fish and there imitations is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle when casting to educated resident bass on the flats in July and Aug. in 1-3 feet of water at high noon. A great book to help you is called, Saltwater Imitations and there Naturals. "Fishing the Cape" has a large inventory of this book as well as others to help open up the incredible world of Inshore Saltwater Flats Fly-Fishing.

Stay tuned for 2 more Flats articles

Happiest of Hooking;

Randy Jones

------------------
http://www.yankeeangler.com
Old 05-02-2000, 01:12 PM

Sight Fishing the Flats - Chatham, MA. Monomoy Island
Through these Guides Eyes

The following fishing reports will consist of Inshore Saltwater (Fly) Fishing. It will include Tips, techniques, Habitat, Presentation, Baitology, Flies-Hooks, Moon Fazes, Flats, and even some highlights from last year's fishing reports. Some of which are pretty exciting.

May 1 Ill be on the Cape for the summer, so Ill also keep all of you posted on the latest. Some of the material will come straight from my past experience as chief instructor of the Orvis 2 ½ day saltwater fly fishing schools. Additional material will come from first hand knowledge, gained from my many years of eating, breathing, living and loving the, New England - Cape Cod Inshore Saltwater environment.

All of this material would not be possible if it was not for several mentors who have shared " some of " their lifetime of saltwater experiences with me. Thanks, Bob Benson (www.fishingthecape.com) Rich Benson rpbenson@capecod.net (The 2 brothers who exposed the incredible world class flats fishery-Monomoy Island, to all of us and are the Capes top- flats boat guides), Peter Alves, George Ryan (The Mayor of Monomoy) and of course the great folks at Orvis! So, sit back, relax and enjoy this Truly World Class Destination Fishery!

How to Catch Big Bass on the Flats' in July and August
Part 2
Baitology:

Matching the Hatch: is just as important in the saltwater as in the freshwater. Look into the water. Size, shape, silhouette, profile, action, density, color are all important features of bait and the flies we use to imitate. Natural colors are the best during July and August.

When I used to guide for trout, the first thing I would do before wetting my line would be to study the shoreline. Id let mother nature tell me what fly I should be using. Id look at spider webs, underside of leaves, tops of rocks and sometimes underneath them. Fishing the flats is no different.
Next time your out; look on the shallow edges of the water. The bait you see is the fly you should try.

Ever thrown a fly that was so thin, small and sparsely dressed that it almost resembled a bare hook? If you're on the flats in July and Aug. you should be.

You'll notice small sand colored shrimp ½ in., muma chugs 1-2 in., 1-3 in. sand lances silversides 1 ½ - 3 in. and crabs - dime to silver dollar size. Try to duplicate coloration and profile w/ your fly selection.

Keep your eyes open and you will see 10-20 lb. bass feeding on all the above. Study of bait fish and there imitations is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle when casting to educated resident bass on the flats in July and Aug. in 1-3 feet of water at high noon. A great book to help you is called, Saltwater Imitations and there Naturals. "Fishing the Cape" has a large inventory of this book as well as others to help open up the incredible world of Inshore Saltwater Flats Fly-Fishing.

Stay tuned for 2 more Flats articles

Happiest of Hooking;

Randy Jones

------------------
http://www.yankeeangler.com
Old 05-04-2000, 01:02 AM

I'll be heading down to Monomoy from Newburyport to get the first catch of the season. Can anyone recommend a campground? I'll have a boat on trailer.
-any good fishing stories so far?
-SJB
Old 05-04-2000, 10:18 AM

Im not sure. Try doing a search for Brewster, Chatham, Orleans, Dennisport, Harwich. Or call the chamber of commerce.
Everything is a little slow presently, due to the weather but will only get better with the upcoming good warmer weather.
Some keepers being caught(small) . Few fish in the mid 20's and smaller around presently. Monomoy Isalnd flats wont start to produce until early June.

Good Luck,

Randy Jones
Old 05-05-2000, 01:18 AM

het RANDY is it possible to fish these flats from a canoe and where would be a good place to put it in?
Old 05-05-2000, 08:20 AM

Hi Milo,

Yup, You can fish it from a canoe. Must be very careful with weather.Strong tides in places, Wind and Fog could spell " your dead" if you are not prepared. Compass, Fog horn, Life jackets, and an understanding of boating lanes and tidal movement should be fully understood to prepare you for a worse case situation. Dont mean to scare you but people die out here every year! I see boats and wade anglers going into areas out here that I would never go ,due to stage of tide. They either get stuck , and sit out the tide or swim back.

You can launch anywhere from stage Harbor area to Morris Island area. If you get a map you will see Town Landings or easy access to water in that area.

Have Fun BUT be safe!

Randy Jones
Old 05-06-2000, 11:55 AM

thanx Randy