Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Default December Fishing Reports 2012

Post them up!

As much or little info as you like to share.
Pictures are always welcome.

More info on the NJ regulations can be found here - - > http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2012/maregsum12.pdf

New Jersey State Record Saltwater Fish - -> http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/recfish-salt.htm

Operation Game Thief 800-222-0456 - - > http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ogt.htm

2012 NJ Saltwater Recreational Registration. - - > http://www.nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry/index.html

Need some excellent bait rigs? - -> http://trophyrigs.com/

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Default Re: December Fishing Reports 2012

Couple of shorts on teaser. NW wind was crazy today. wheh!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 AM

I posted this in November, but am putting it here as well:

I got to the beach at LBI, Harvey Cedars, yesterday morning, Friday, 11/30. I feel so lucky just to have gotten out. Access was pretty easy, no trouble on the roads or getting up the steps over the dune to the beach.

I was fairly shocked to see the beach, though. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but there used to be rock jetties every couple hundred yards along that whole stretch. Now the beach looks like IBSP with just sand and more sand. And I had to walk 75 yards to get to the high tide line, where it used to be only 30 yards or less.

I was fortunate to find a nice gap in the sand bars right in front of me as I walked on, with what looked to me to be very fishy water. Fishing from about 7:30 to 1:30 I caught 5 shorts up to 24". One was the size of a bunker - tiny! Two were on a teaser behind an AVA, two were on clam and one on a bunker chunk. I got the first two on consecutive casts right away. The rest started hitting bait at about noon. I don't know for sure, but I think high tide was righ about 8:00. I also caught more than a dozen skate, a few of which were big mothers, which came home with me for dinner. I noticed when I cleaned them that their bellies were full of sand crabs (mole crabs), though one had a few sand eels in there as well. Do sand crabs in their stomachs mean that they were hanging in the wash or are sand crabs all over?

That's all I have to report. It was a beautiful day!

Last edited by Joseph C. : 12-02-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Add on.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Nothing today but Fog and dirty surf.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Fished this morning 5-11am..It was foggy and damp no wind at all water was ruff when i first got there but settled down as the morning went on..A bit stained but fishable and some nice white water around...Managed 4 shorts all 18-20in 1 on the teaser,1 on the BT/pork and 2 on the vision sandeel..Missed a bunch of hits..Fish were sitting on the bars not so much in the holes and cuts..I fished 1 hole way too long cause it just looked so damn fishy!! Moved down to the bar with the white water next to it and bam thats where they were..Fished the whole incoming tide basically and didnt get a hit till about 9 when the tide had started to move out..Heres your pics Bayyaker!!
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Brought a gun to a knife fight. Overkill with the 10' airwave for sure.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Fished in Point Pleasant from 7.30 to 12.00 pm...tried first to get to the ocean in Belmar, then Spring Lake and Manasquan but could not get to the shore due to closures and checkpoints... Nice surf with a lot of foam, muggy but very fishable... Caught 3 shorts less than 16 "... They were scattered around and hitting teaser only ( vision eel)... Bait fishermen were catching them too ...i was hoping to see their parents but not this time ....first outing after missing entire November...felt good to be fishing
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Fished in Point Pleasant from 7.30 to 12.00 pm...tried first to get to the ocean in Belmar, then Spring Lake and Manasquan but could not get to the shore due to closures and checkpoints... Nice surf with a lot of foam, muggy but very fishable... Caught 3 shorts less than 16 "... They were scattered around and hitting teaser only ( vision eel)... Bait fishermen were catching them too ...i was hoping to see their parents but not this time ....first outing after missing entire November...felt good to be fishing
I thought there was access in Spring Lake and Belmar. Is this a new development? Was thinking of fishing somewhere in MoCo Tuesday or Wednesday. If someone could pm me accesible fishing towns I would appreciate it. Don't want to spend a ton of time driving around for nothing.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Brought a gun to a knife fight. Overkill with the 10' airwave for sure.
Haha i felt the same way last week was using 10ft MoJo way tooo much stick for these lil guys..So i switched to my 8ft Airwave made it a lot more fun
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Spring Lake is open to fish. Some streets might be closed and you have to look for an open one....
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelbasher View Post
Spring Lake is open to fish. Some streets might be closed and you have to look for an open one....
Thanks. I just want to go somewhere where I'm not going to get a tresspassing ticket. At this point catching is secondary. The weather is supposed to be mild the next few days and December is a month I don't have much free time, so this is probably my last chance to get out there.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM

The fact is that he Ocean Ave south of the Shark Inlet ( I do not know the status of the avenue on the north side) is all dug up ...each street in east west direction has a barrier closing it with sign no vehicle and pedestrian allowed...even if you cross the ocean ave there is a huge pile of sand with the fence you need to cross to access the ocean ( that was around 16th ave where I tried)maybe there is a path thru but it would take me huge amount of time to check all the streets...so I walked back to the car and then tried another random spot in Spring lake...had to turn back when encountering pile of sand and steel pipes closing the street...the fact is that I am not familiar with the area and I was using GPS to try to get to certain spots I would select from the map on my smartphone...the last one I tried was a Manasquan next to the north jetty of the marina canal...there I run into police check point and was turned back since I did not have a permit...the nice police woman noticing the fishing rod in the car suggested Point Pleasant side where the access was less restricted...that is how I ended up in Point Pleasant which was not bad at all ...I just wasted time driving around...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
The fact is that he Ocean Ave south of the Shark Inlet ( I do not know the status of the avenue on the north side) is all dug up ...each street in east west direction has a barrier closing it with sign no vehicle and pedestrian allowed...even if you cross the ocean ave there is a huge pile of sand with the fence you need to cross to access the ocean ( that was around 16th ave where I tried)maybe there is a path thru but it would take me huge amount of time to check all the streets...so I walked back to the car and then tried another random spot in Spring lake...had to turn back when encountering pile of sand and steel pipes closing the street...the fact is that I am not familiar with the area and I was using GPS to try to get to certain spots I would select from the map on my smartphone...the last one I tried was a Manasquan next to the north jetty of the marina canal...there I run into police check point and was turned back since I did not have a permit...the nice police woman noticing the fishing rod in the car suggested Point Pleasant side where the access was less restricted...that is how I ended up in Point Pleasant which was not bad at all ...I just wasted time driving around...
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm definetly not looking for any major hassels, I might just trek down to LBI instead.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin420 View Post
Fished this morning 5-11am..It was foggy and damp no wind at all water was ruff when i first got there but settled down as the morning went on..A bit stained but fishable and some nice white water around...Managed 4 shorts all 18-20in 1 on the teaser,1 on the BT/pork and 2 on the vision sandeel..Missed a bunch of hits..Fish were sitting on the bars not so much in the holes and cuts..I fished 1 hole way too long cause it just looked so damn fishy!! Moved down to the bar with the white water next to it and bam thats where they were..Fished the whole incoming tide basically and didnt get a hit till about 9 when the tide had started to move out..Heres your pics Bayyaker!!

These fish become active at the end of the tide.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
...I might just trek down to LBI instead.
I was on LBI last Friday at Harvey Cedars. The access was fine. The only trouble you might find is that in some places the drop from the stairs over the dune to the beach is high enough to be dangerous. Watch you step.

Fisherman's HQ, right there as you drive onto the island was open and had plenty of good looking bait.

I'd love to be going myself. If I were, I'd consider bringing my shad rod, 9 feet and very flexy. A 24" striper on that would be a treat!