Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Boating Forum

Boating Forum Forum covering the Bays to serious Inshore Fishing! Share your opinion on various techniques, sport fishing boats, motors, tackle etc. GPS Coordinates always welcome ;)

Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 PM

Default New to Area need a little help!

Hello and Happy New Year to all...I just moved to this area from the NY area and have done ALL my fishing from a 22' Grady white (which I have sold a few years ago) in the Long Island sound from the Whitestone bridge to Norwalk Ct. I want to purchase another boat again, I was looking at a 17 center console skiff with 4 stroke because as I look at the charts the water is very shallow in the bay. My question is (in your experience and opinion) am I limiting myself by purchasing a skiff, is there really good fishing in the bay, or should I be looking at a boat that can get out the inlet to deeper waters. The back bay areas I would be fishing would be from seaside park to barnegate inlet.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: New to Area need a little help!

Welcome!!
There is decent fishing in the bay but being able to get outside is also a plus. I did my best bass fishing this year in the bay on a buddys 19ft walk around with a 150 ob in 4ft of water without a problem. Then like most days it was open ocean fishing within a few miles for better fishing for me at least. I think the 17ft skiff would limit you, but it depends on how much, type of fish, length of your season, and yes the old cash!!
I also own a 23ft cuddy pina colata cruiser that I fish in the bay and ocean without many restrictions with the exception of some of the flats near the inlet. Hopes this helps...good luck.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwrench68
Welcome!!
There is decent fishing in the bay but being able to get outside is also a plus. I did my best bass fishing this year in the bay on a buddys 19ft walk around with a 150 ob in 4ft of water without a problem. Then like most days it was open ocean fishing within a few miles for better fishing for me at least. I think the 17ft skiff would limit you, but it depends on how much, type of fish, length of your season, and yes the old cash!!
I also own a 23ft cuddy pina colata cruiser that I fish in the bay and ocean without many restrictions with the exception of some of the flats near the inlet. Hopes this helps...good luck.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:50 PM

Thanks Jetwrench68 for your input, fishing new areas is somtimes very difficult, especially when trying to figure out what works best for the new area you are going to fish/boat. I'm off to the NYC boat show this weekend and I'll see what they have to offer. Once again thanks for taking the time to reply...marfar