Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - CT and RI

Fishing - CT and RI Connecticut and Rhode Island Fishing Reports and Information

Old 03-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Squid fishing

In a few weeks I will start squid fishing for bait, or for calamari, or both. In the past there is a fishing warf that I go to to get some squid, I have used just a normal squid jig berfore. IT hasn't worked that well, (Yes, I do know that there ARE squid around) does anyone have any suggestions for bait or another way to get them?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Squid fishing

I start going once late april/ beginning of May rolls around. You can get them earlier but I find a couple good nights and I have enough bait for the season and then some. I go for just a short period late at night a few times a week, maybe 20 min of fishing...until they move in big then I stick it out and squid hard, its a pain getting down there for a few minutes but it pays off when they really show. Get a handful of different jigs, get some small, tiny, med and big several different styles and find the one they like that night. Once you key in that they are in thick and you have the primo jig it is a blast. Also when it slows down sometimes I let my jig rest on the bottom and just move it slightly off the bottom. If you go regularly and hit it hard during the big nights you will catch your bait...and some fine grub too.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Uh, I have a very lame question, I belive, do they stay around all summer or do they just stay for the spring (RI coast)
Old 04-01-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
Uh, I have a very lame question, I belive, do they stay around all summer or do they just stay for the spring (RI coast)
Actually I believe many die. The kind of Squid we have aroudn here only live a bit longer then a year or so. They spawn then they slowy die within a few months. I believe this is why fish like squid, they are use to seeing fresh dead squid all the time.

The schools of them must have staggard lives becuase you can get them all year but there seems to be a spring and fall body of them that move into the harbors. BI use to have a great squid bite in Old harbor in the fall. If the bass fishing was slow I would jig up a small cooler-full right in the harbor by ballards.

It generally slows down alot in the summer but IMO the spring has been best the last few years and some make a repeat showing in the fall. To be honest, you only need to go a couple good nights and you have all the squid you need.

If you don't feel like fishing for them...go to a squid boat and buy a tote full of fresh ones right off the boat, you'll be set for the season. If you vacume pack them you will be surprised how fresh they stay.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:55 PM

Ok thanks, where in Mass are you? (about) I an in RI near westport.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
Ok thanks, where in Mass are you? (about) I an in RI near westport.
Martha's Vineyard
Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Oh, I see. Thanks.