Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-10-2003, 10:00 PM

hello guys, i'm a long time lurker who usually hits the head boats for stripers,blues, and fluke. I've been jonesing to to wet a line the past few weeks and have been reading about places like the spy house, peeble beach, union beach and cliffwood beach. Only problem is, i have no clue where these places are...I know they're along the raritan Bayshore, but don't know how to get to them...i realize that no-one in their right mind will divulge directions in a post, but would be eternally grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, either through e-mail or a PM or just hints...thanks to anyone who offers some tips!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:00 PM

hello guys, i'm a long time lurker who usually hits the head boats for stripers,blues, and fluke. I've been jonesing to to wet a line the past few weeks and have been reading about places like the spy house, peeble beach, union beach and cliffwood beach. Only problem is, i have no clue where these places are...I know they're along the raritan Bayshore, but don't know how to get to them...i realize that no-one in their right mind will divulge directions in a post, but would be eternally grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, either through e-mail or a PM or just hints...thanks to anyone who offers some tips!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:05 PM

Exit the parkway at # 117. This puts you on Rt. 36. Any of the beach roads off there put you in the back bays along the Raritan.
Union beach is a good stop, cliffwood, and pebble is around that area also.
This is that same road that takes you to the Highlands marina where the party boats run out of and all the way to the hook.
A few tackle shops are on this road. (Taclke box, T & A's which realls ****s and Julians) People have been talking about a shop called Freds whic sounds good. It is on a post on this page. I am going to try fo locate it this weekend.
Good Luck !
<'(///////////)><
Old 04-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Kings over Queens

Any road on the left side of Rt. 36 as you head south will bring you to the beach. I think the Union Beach fishing spot is on Union Avenue, but I'd check a map first.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:38 PM

If you use a map site(Iused map quest) you can get a fairly detailed street map of the areas you are looking for with street names so you know where to go while driving. The rest as they say is pure research

tight lines and big bass,
Brian F.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 PM
sun tzu

drive around and find them by making a left off 36 south. They aren't hard to find.

Even though these are popular and oft-cited spots people are gonna get upset if you start posting specific street names with access. Union Beach might be a town, but there are spots within union beach that might not be public knowledge.

For situatuions such as this I always found the best course of action to be to hook up with a fellow board member with some local knowledge and fish with him for a night. Knowing a spot is never, ever enough. There is great value in learning tides, holes, etc. Stuff like that should not be posted on these boards where thousands lurk and dozens actively participate. Its just not fair, nor is it productive. There is a long and storied history here at stripersurf of guys just posting "I am going out tonight on the bayshore, anyone want to join me?" Folks get together, learn from each other, and bring that commraderie back to the boards. That would be my suggestion for learning about spots, etc.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:17 PM

A good on-line site to check would be www.fishboxtv.com. Click on the Monmouth County section or any of the Commercial Sponsors and there should be pictures and directions to some of the places that you mentioned.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:47 PM

For what it's worth ... if you look on a map of the the Barnegat Bay inlets to the ocean, you can find some great spots for stripers, weakies and blues. Look for points of land that jutt out into the intlet and mouths of rivers. You need waders. I've been cut off from getting back to the car a couple of times by the tide which you have to watch. Also -- get to your spot right before sunrise. I'm not convinced the tide matters but that pre-dawn start seems to make a difference. Also -- I am a plug and Fin-s guy, but bait at this time of year seems the only thing that works. Anyone agreee? Diagree?