Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Default April Fishing Reports 2012

Post them up!

As much or little info as you like to share.
Pictures are always welcome.

More info on the NJ regulations can be found here - - > http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2012/maregsum12.pdf

New Jersey State Record Saltwater Fish - -> http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/recfish-salt.htm

Operation Game Thief 800-222-0456 - - > http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ogt.htm

2012 NJ Saltwater Recreational Registration. - - > http://www.nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry/index.html

Need some excellent bait rigs? - -> http://trophyrigs.com/

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Thumbs down Re: April Fishing Reports 2012

Was out from 6:30 to 9:30 AM.
3 different areas in the park.
Didn't see or hear of any fish.
Still some weed in the water.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: April Fishing Reports 2012

Fished the RB from 1-5:30. Got the same skunk i got yesterday.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Fished the RB from 1-5:30. Got the same skunk i got yesterday.
Same here RB 4 till 7pm not a tap...Plan was to plug outfront but once i got to the beach the wind was stiff S and water was rippin i HATE the S wind made it unfishable so i picked up some clams on the way home and soaked them with nothin to show for it....Even worse i was out Friday night knowing the fish would hit in that pouring rain fished RB (u no where Bay) from 1130pm till 3am i had a hit on every clam just couldnt hook them dont no what the deal was they were hitting SUPER lite held the rod the whole time just couldnt connect i hooked 1 for about 30sec and he came lose felt like a good fish saw 1 other guy and he hooked 3 all 30in and better i was SOOOOOO fustrated soaked tired and skunked!!! I think the RB have run up the rivers to spawn hopefully they will be headed back out in the next week or so!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Got a call a little while ago, a few blues caught in my neck of the woods at about 6:00. a good reliable source. I guess i will try it tomorrow with plugs. I wish the rip would open up
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 AM
SS/Veteran

Heard the samething Friday night.. guy on the beach said also had a decent size blue!!! It does suck that the hook is still closed went there yesterday and the sign confirmed it!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Hit RB tonight a bit more S of where i usally fish with my buddy and his dad fished from4 till 9pm beach was filled up with a good amount of guys prob 20 or more...Fished clams and bunker water was fairly calm and a little off color only fish came about 6pm for my buds dad a 23in shorty that hit a clam didnt see any other fish or hits very slow night did see some splashes about 100 yards or so off the beach... a Kayaker that was out there said it was short bass splashing here and there i thought maybe bunker...Hope these fish turn on soon! Water tempwhen i checked was about 51deg everything seemed right just no fish! try again tomorrow
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin420 View Post
Hit RB tonight a bit more S of where i usally fish with my buddy and his dad fished from4 till 9pm beach was filled up with a good amount of guys prob 20 or more...Fished clams and bunker water was fairly calm and a little off color only fish came about 6pm for my buds dad a 23in shorty that hit a clam didnt see any other fish or hits very slow night did see some splashes about 100 yards or so off the beach... a Kayaker that was out there said it was short bass splashing here and there i thought maybe bunker...Hope these fish turn on soon! Water tempwhen i checked was about 51deg everything seemed right just no fish! try again tomorrow
Same story out front in OC. Water temps are at the high end of what you would expect on this date. You would think there would at least be a pick of short bass on clams, but for me no such luck. I can't believe reports were more positive in January than in April. I've almost given up trying to figure out this game, I'll just fish when I can and hope for the best.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM
SS/Veteran

I hear ya Kroc! Since I haven't been catching last month I wait out a bought a new 9' plugging rod. Had to try that so a couple nights later went out and bought a new SP Minnow. Few nights later stopped by a local bait shop and he had eels so a bought some. Then of course I had to go buy big Siwash hooks, heavy braid and floss to rig 'em. Then you guys started talking about how hard it was to find SP's and I went out a bought another and a Bomber just to be safe. Yesterday found a great deal on a conventional reel so I bought that. If the fish don't start biting soon I won't have any money left to buy bait!!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Back to the report thread....got on the beach Sunday evening. Had to actually change my clam every 30 minutes or so--the crabs didn't even want it.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Fished the hook today from 5-8. Fished south of north beach and north of sausage beach. I got a chance to brake in my new setup. Picked up one fat 30 incher on a white bull frog bucktail with the red/white pork. still swimming
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 AM
SS/Veteran

Very Nice bayyyaker fish and set up!! fished the back again tonight and you guessed it SKUNKED!!! Done with the bay im back to pluggin the ocean front less people and more fun!!!
Kroc: Ive learned that there is NO figuring this game...like u said fish when u can and enjoy your time fishing!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Very nice Bayyaker

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
I hear ya Kroc! Since I haven't been catching last month I wait out a bought a new 9' plugging rod. Had to try that so a couple nights later went out and bought a new SP Minnow. Few nights later stopped by a local bait shop and he had eels so a bought some. Then of course I had to go buy big Siwash hooks, heavy braid and floss to rig 'em. Then you guys started talking about how hard it was to find SP's and I went out a bought another and a Bomber just to be safe. Yesterday found a great deal on a conventional reel so I bought that. If the fish don't start biting soon I won't have any money left to buy bait!!
Very funny. Its scary when you start analyzing your gear and realize you have lures, rods, ect.. that haven't been used in years. We probably utilize only 20% of the crap we purchase.

By the way, are they doing beach replenishment in LBI this year? Thought I might try to expand my fishing radius this season.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post

By the way, are they doing beach replenishment in LBI this year? Thought I might try to expand my fishing radius this season.
Yes,in Brant Beach. They are using the same hole off Ship Bottom/Surf City for the sand and have a pump set up there, about 1/2 mile off the beach. The tubing then comes inshore a bit, out past the bars, and runs south along the beach to BB. At first I thought it could hamper the fishing but I saw a guy Saturday afternoon catch a 30" (released) on bloods. He said had several others but short. So I don't know what to think.