Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 PM
take a kid fishing

Default Re: Boat fisherman

Quote:
But I also learned that if a person is granted control of the vessel, they are either distracted enought to forget what is happening or feel a call to duty.
You are certainly on to something there, and it's not just psychological. As the operator of the vessel you are forced to focus on the horizon - a concrete geographical reference point that helps your brain sort out the conflicting messages sent by the fluid sloshing around in your eardrums.

Mal de Mer will keep the toughest guys away from boats - I thank God it doesn't affect me.

No doubt that boaters have a huge advantage when it comes to quality bass. That does not mean they know how to avail themselves of that advantage.

In fact, most have no idea.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 AM

For many years, I avoided going on boats to fish, knowing that I would get sea sick.
Well, now I have my own boat, and being at the helm and in control of the situation has made a huge difference. Haven't got sick once.

I still fish the surf at night. Actually catching more quality fish there than from the boat so far. Not as easy from the boat as some here seem to think it is.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM
SS/Veteran

I love boat fishin' so much, I drag a small flat-bottom down to the surf on the sand, and stand in it when I'm surf-fishing.

MULE.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

If you really want to kick butt, you fish from a boat at night. The list of true high-liners I have known -- like Ray Jobin, Jack Townsend -- to name only two, only rarely fished from their boats in the daytime. Oh, let's add the Cuttyhunk charter skippers of back in the day.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:30 PM
take a kid fishing

Greg Meyerson is in a class all his own. It would be great if the world record striper was still a surf fish, but bass hounds can take comfort knowing that the record holder is an all-out, balls to the wall, out of his mind, striper maniac.

Greg does all his bass fishing at night.

The record may have been taken from a boat, but not by some first-timer.

Hey Mule - now THAT is funny.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 PM
SS/Veteran

MR. BROKENROD----Even though nothing would ever take the place, with me, of surfcasting, I would have given a toe or two to have been able to fish with Mr. SHERWOOD LINCOLN, if he would have taken me, had I known him years and years ago, and, if I lived closer North, I'd dope up with that anti-seasick stuff, an' fish with Cap'n COLBY 'till I ran out'a money, but, I get so darned seasick in a boat in the ocean, that I feel like death would be a better option. Back in the real early '60's, for about 12 or so years, we'd take an old ski boat, twice a year, to Hatteras Inlet, and drift for flounder, catching hundreds of'em over the years. Being the youngest, I was of course the designated bait-cutter (admitting that I never liked the way the others haggled up the bait), and therefore looking down to do this about a quarter or a third of the time (always four in the boat), I'd get so sick that many, many times they'd have to pull close to a bar, and I'd wade over and stay there for about an hour until I felt like I might live. Were it not for that, I'd still like to take my Whaler, in decent weather, behind the bars and cuts that you can't reach from the surf and Drum fish.

MULE.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. Sink View Post
MR. BROKENROD----Even though nothing would ever take the place, with me, of surfcasting, I would have given a toe or two to have been able to fish with Mr. SHERWOOD LINCOLN, if he would have taken me, had I known him years and years ago, and, if I lived closer North, I'd dope up with that anti-seasick stuff, an' fish with Cap'n COLBY 'till I ran out'a money, but, I get so darned seasick in a boat in the ocean, that I feel like death would be a better option. Back in the real early '60's, for about 12 or so years, we'd take an old ski boat, twice a year, to Hatteras Inlet, and drift for flounder, catching hundreds of'em over the years. Being the youngest, I was of course the designated bait-cutter (admitting that I never liked the way the others haggled up the bait), and therefore looking down to do this about a quarter or a third of the time (always four in the boat), I'd get so sick that many, many times they'd have to pull close to a bar, and I'd wade over and stay there for about an hour until I felt like I might live. Were it not for that, I'd still like to take my Whaler, in decent weather, behind the bars and cuts that you can't reach from the surf and Drum fish.

MULE.
Same here Mule, I can get sick as a dog, I still go once in a while.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
If you really want to kick butt, you fish from a boat at night.
I suck at boat fishing for Stripers ... Day or night

That's why I fish from the sand more often, sucking there costs less
Old 09-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Ever since I was a kid I knew that some people have a talent for fishing. When that is the case, those people will adapt to any situation surf or boat. Again, basic skills. If you know how to problem solve with and in water and believe in what you do, you should do well.

In hunting, there are a lot of issues that will provide you with more shots. But if you are not a good shot, can't put the bullet in the right place, you are going to do poorly. Basic skills.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM

This is too good a thread to slip off the page.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Looks like everyone took a vacation this past weekend!
I had two trip cancellations this weekend so I went out surf casting on Saturday morning and caught a load of bass, all small. Yesterday (Sunday) I met my friend/client Armindo at the boat and we went out at 4am casting eels. I got one micro in the dark, my only bite. At daybreak I put on a "Spook" type plug and by the lack of action on the eels you would swear there were no fish there but on the 1st cast with the plug they were everywhere!
Armindo wanted a swimmer so I gave him a Atom 54 and he was not getting touched on that with me getting 6 or 7 on the Spook. I insisted we switch and on my 1st cast with the Atom I get a healthy 20 plus pound fish and my 2nd cast caught one slightly smaller.
At that point I gave the Atom back to Armindo as he still didn't get a touch (though he did have one "blow up" on the Spook) and neither of us saw another fish. It was over.
The point to all this is that the spot we were fishing could be accessed by a healthy 1 mile walk down the beach but the fish were slightly out of casting range, not taking into consideration that you will mostly have the wind in your face from the shore (faces west). As with others in the past, Armindo wanted to know about how to get to that beach by foot and I told him. They all try it once and then want to get back on the boat with me as soon as possible!

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM

Jason's post is a perfect example of what I have preached incessantly for years, "its not what you catch. It's what you learn."
Old 09-23-2013, 03:43 PM
SS/Veteran

JC you can tell me that spot, if it's good Ill walk their a million times! Also a little 4oz loaded cordell goes a long way for those wind in your face spots!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:02 PM
SS/Veteran

I once walked 3 miles over sand to a spot that was covered with sleeping seals. I was dumb and woke them up by accident, and let's just say the fishing ended there. Then I had to walk the three miles back...surf fishing is hard!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM

No first hand experience but I was acquainted with an outdoor writer who lamented bitterly that at boat launching ramps he often had to wait for hours to put in. Then coming out there would be a same line of boats waiting for their turn to take out. It was an hour each way and he hated it!