Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-26-2015, 11:39 AM

Default Question about night fishing with lures

Started out surf fishing about 13 years ago, but have been mostly a bait fisherman until the last two or three years when i've started to switch more to artificials and have started to have some success the few times i am able to make the drive to fish during the light hours.

While i understand that at night, purple/black cranks and plugs work just fine as well as bucktails... I'm curious to hear from experienced surf casters about what the guidelines are towards fishing with metals at night.

Do people fish with metal lures like krokodiles, ava jigs..ettc.. at night? Or is this just a fool's errand and should i stick to the more standard wood/plastic plugs and jigs?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Question about night fishing with lures

In my opinion there are no strict rules that would apply in all the cases.. you should experiment and see what works the best for you...it depends on the season (is it August or November night)...is it rough or calm out there..are there baitfish present or not ( you try to mimic the size and color of the baitfish)...is the fish breaking the surface or not etc etc...but it is a common consensus that darker color lures work better at night
Old 10-26-2015, 12:59 PM
SS/Veteran

Try a black metal, I think point Jude makes a black metal. Give it a shot
Old 10-26-2015, 01:44 PM
SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
I have Point Jude's in black and have success with them in the dark. One is a Sandeel and the other is a peanut bunker imitation. Don't get hung up on black, my partner has good success with the school bus bomber lure and I do very well with a pearl shad in the dark.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Administrator

I believe it's more about profile then color.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
some time ago I ruffed up a Kastmaster ( sand paper ) sprayed painted it Black...it worked
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Hook, that's a good suggestion for my old beat up kastmasters
Old 10-28-2015, 11:51 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMNM View Post
Started out surf fishing about 13 years ago, but have been mostly a bait fisherman until the last two or three years when i've started to switch more to artificials and have started to have some success the few times i am able to make the drive to fish during the light hours.

While i understand that at night, purple/black cranks and plugs work just fine as well as bucktails... I'm curious to hear from experienced surf casters about what the guidelines are towards fishing with metals at night.

Do people fish with metal lures like krokodiles, ava jigs..ettc.. at night? Or is this just a fool's errand and should i stick to the more standard wood/plastic plugs and jigs?
All good suggestions above...Plain and simple use what YOU like to use!! Yeah most use black and darker colors but all colors work at 1 time or another...sometime that 1 thing no one seal is using is the difference between u catching and no one else catching..and YES metals do work at night caught plenty on them at night....More guys just need to go out and fish and stop worrying about what your "suppose" to use....There are set rules in this game....Good luck out there!!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:49 PM

agree with the above, most important thing is to just get out there and fish. I change things up every ten to 15 casts, different lures, presentations...etc. until hopefully something hits.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin420 View Post
All good suggestions above...Plain and simple use what YOU like to use!! Yeah most use black and darker colors but all colors work at 1 time or another...sometime that 1 thing no one seal is using is the difference between u catching and no one else catching..and YES metals do work at night caught plenty on them at night....More guys just need to go out and fish and stop worrying about what your "suppose" to use....There are set rules in this game....Good luck out there!!
Yep...if the fish could read some of the rules we fisherman have come to accept they would die laughing.