Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-14-2016, 11:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Sept. & Oct. Fishing Reports 2016

Plus the albies, small blues, and hickories
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Got er done picked up two albies today plus, look who I found hanging with the albies, Jack Cravelle
Great job Bay!!!!! Congrats!!!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
Nice yard dog!! Can you post a pic of the float rig and the split shot as you use it?
Bunk, Ill get that done asap tomorrow. Here is the float I use. I got it on flea bay. Here is a photo and the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thill-Gold-M...AOSwVcFXO1d l
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 12:06 AM

That sounds like a real fun outing professor! How was the fight? Congrats!

Thanks yard dog, no rush.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:33 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Bunk, Ill get that done asap tomorrow. Here is the float I use. I got it on flea bay. Here is a photo and the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thill-Gold-M...AOSwVcFXO1d l
The float rig has been advocated, by Fred Ulman (Cape Fishing... South Jersey's longest running fishing show), for many many years.

It's a deadly technique for doing exactly what yarddog did and one I FORGET TO RIG UP FOR MORE TIMES THAN I CAN COUNT... even though I've got the floats etc.

Fred did a show, and I've learned to follow it, that in the back waters, when you think there's nothing going on... if you find schooled up bait, there is *something* there working them, and that something is catchable with the right rig (ok, acres and acres of bunker excluded... even though technically it's still "true" you can have a tough time finding the "something" through the bait... but I digress)

Great work, YD!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Plus the albies, small blues, and hickories
nice... sounds like the fall surf is hot up there!

we still have sharks hanging around
Old 09-15-2016, 10:18 AM

Nice Bay!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Got er done picked up two albies today plus, look who I found hanging with the albies, Jack Cravelle
You are the Jack master and soon we will call you the albie slayer.

Congrats on all the great catches!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM

Yarddog nice fluke there. Not sure what the deal is but guys have been catching better in shallow water (under 6ft) than in deep water post Hermine.

Do you know how deep you were fishing?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Yarddog nice fluke there. Not sure what the deal is but guys have been catching better in shallow water (under 6ft) than in deep water post Hermine.

Not sure if this question for me but ill take all the help i can lol. I was fishing the ambrose so 45-60 ft. Week before storm did great there last week not a single tap. Lots of boats around the area as well but maybe porgie fishing? Anyhow heading back out sat morning and will try again. I also fished by ammo pier so about 30-45ft and only some weakies no fluke
Old 09-15-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:

From want was said, Hermie pushed the bait into the back Bay and the fluke followed.
Friend of mine was catching 20-23 inch fluke on peanuts from the Keyport wall for two days before they moved back out.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaStriper View Post
Not sure if this question for me but ill take all the help i can lol. I was fishing the ambrose so 45-60 ft. Week before storm did great there last week not a single tap. Lots of boats around the area as well but maybe porgie fishing? Anyhow heading back out sat morning and will try again. I also fished by ammo pier so about 30-45ft and only some weakies no fluke
The question was directed at YardDog in specific. I basically experienced the same thing as you did TugaStriper. I was averaging 8-10 keeper fluke per trip fishing in 40ft+ of water and after Hermine that number went to 0 (two trips) and I could count the number of shorts caught on one hand. Starting to hear some positive reports again from deep water so may have one last shot at them before the season closes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
From want was said, Hermie pushed the bait into the back Bay and the fluke followed.
Friend of mine was catching 20-23 inch fluke on peanuts from the Keyport wall for two days before they moved back out.
There was definitely a good amount of fish in the back creeks post Hermine but that bite is mostly over by now. Guys fishing from their boats docked in the creek did better than me

I don't attribute it to the bait because the bait has been back there for 3 months now without the fish.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
That sounds like a real fun outing professor! How was the fight? Congrats!

Thanks yard dog, no rush.
The fight was amazing I was using the avid salmon rod 1/8-5/8, paired with a 3000 sustain 17lb mono. I caught a Jack in 2009 after a tropical storm, so even though herrmne was a bust I think he pulled some tropical water up from the south with some tropical friends in it.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
The question was directed at YardDog in specific. I basically experienced the same thing as you did TugaStriper. I was averaging 8-10 keeper fluke per trip fishing in 40ft+ of water and after Hermine that number went to 0 (two trips) and I could count the number of shorts caught on one hand. Starting to hear some positive reports again from deep water so may have one last shot at them before the season closes.

There was definitely a good amount of fish in the back creeks post Hermine but that bite is mostly over by now. Guys fishing from their boats docked in the creek did better than me

I don't attribute it to the bait because the bait has been back there for 3 months now without the fish.
John, The fish were in 6 foot of water. You know the place. I went back today and dropped a good one on the float, then just one short. You could be right they my have headed out to deeper water after that late blow yesterday afternoon, but the salinity in the back bays and creeks is still very high, with lack of rain and freshwater infusion. I'm gonna try the back a couple more times before I go back to the front. Its exciting.....until I stop catching. YD
Old 09-15-2016, 09:38 PM

nomoco out front 7-830pm. Wind intensity calmed down from earlier this morning. Nice looking water with rolling waves and still clean. Saw some peanuts getting chased by something real tight to the lip but could not connect with anything