Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-28-2017, 03:23 PM

Default Re: March & April Fishing Reports 2017

She's looking hungrily at that bass...hahaha
Old 04-28-2017, 06:26 PM

RB on the side 2pm with a dropping tide. Waded out into the flats with a SE wind and a small surface ripple with gentle waves in a NE direction. Water was clear from thigh down to the sand. I saw a small group of fish breaking on my way out about 100 yards, but no takers using the fly rod with a deceiver, clouser and a slider. Gave it about an hour and a half and began wading back in. When I got to knee high water observed a dozen gator blues sunning themselves in the shallows. Teased several with the aforementioned flies with no interest at all. I nudged them with the tip of the rod before they finned away. Great experience, and I noticed the blues were larger at the head and tapered to the tail. Not big yet but large and long.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:47 PM
SS/Veteran

^^ as you describe the clarity of the water , I was thinking w/ all our rain this week not so . I would have judged wrong . Thanks for sharing
Old 04-29-2017, 03:13 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Since the coming weekend is booked with all kinds of stuff and fishing is out question I took a day off yesterday and fish RB on the kayak. Started early...I was on the water by 6am until 2pm...kind of foggy day, with no wind and water was like oil in the morning...as I was pedaling out I saw some swirls around me... it seems that blues are about to erupt any moment...water temps were still in low 50ies...there were fish around but not close to the abundance I was marking last time...ended up with 5 bass...3 keepers...2x32" and 1-29"...shorts were at 24" and 27"...the interesting part was that all but one fish were caught on 1.5oz bucktail with white pork rind while trolling...the last fish was caught on light rod with x-rap...that fish hit while I was on my way back in shallow water and it took out a lots of line....btw, there were a lot of kayakers our for midweek...probably because the forecast is calling for a windy weekend...
NICE Pics

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 04-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Senior Fellow

had first keeper at 28" from beach; Kastmaster; still a ton of small bass around but big blues have not returned here after mid week storm;
Old 04-29-2017, 10:30 AM

had the day off yesterday. Started moco top of the outgoing. Tried out front, way out back, other spot in the back without a tap. Threw pencil poppers, metal, shads, bucktails. Frustrating but at least beautiful day out. Finally landed a fluke out back off a dock after thousands of casts....
Old 04-29-2017, 11:56 PM

Thumbs up Re: March & April Fishing Reports 2017

Got out Friday night 7pm-2am with my pops for some bait and wait fishing. Meat was the ticket and the action started around 11pm. 2 blues landed, 3 keeper bass landed, 1 bite off, and 4 fish that popped off at the lip. Lots of action, was real fun. And got my first keeper of 17'.
One of my setups my dad was fishing got pulled into the bay when he took his eyes off of it as I was landing a 16#er. I spent a minute wading the water to see if I'd get lucky. Decided to give up as I didn't want to spend any more time searching while the bite was on so I rebaited and casted out real far. 10 seconds later my rod is going off. I reel in the setup my dad was fishing, first the pole end, then hand pulled the bass in bc the reel was seized. LOL, can't make this stuff up. What are the chances!
Old 04-30-2017, 12:10 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
Got out Friday night 7pm-2am with my pops for some bait and wait fishing. Meat was the ticket and the action started around 11pm. 2 blues landed, 3 keeper bass landed, 1 bite off, and 4 fish that popped off at the lip. Lots of action, was real fun. And got my first keeper of 17'.
One of my setups my dad was fishing got pulled into the bay when he took his eyes off of it as I was landing a 16#er. I spent a minute wading the water to see if I'd get lucky. Decided to give up as I didn't want to spend any more time searching while the bite was on so I rebaited and casted out real far. 10 seconds later my rod is going off. I reel in the setup my dad was fishing, first the pole end, then hand pulled the bass in bc the reel was seized. LOL, can't make this stuff up. What are the chances!
I would have confidence in you snagging that line since you're good at snagging other people's line.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:03 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
had first keeper at 28" from beach; Kastmaster; still a ton of small bass around but big blues have not returned here after mid week storm;

congrats on breaking the ice

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 04-30-2017, 04:05 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Quote:
Wow WTG

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 AM

Skunk for me last night on the sods....fished 7-11 just cause I was too beat to stay more...saw one short caught from a bait chucker on a worm....sixth sense that the spot got productive after I left....i threw the bag with no fish but I actually had fun had the privacy of the night but the comraderie of a dozen fisherman throwing bait and plugs scattered in the area
Old 04-30-2017, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up Re: March & April Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
I would have confidence in you snagging that line since you're good at snagging other people's line.
You'll never forget
Old 04-30-2017, 05:25 PM

Bunka, Bay will never forget.Lol. Ask him about my thumbnail photo someday.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
Bunka, Bay will never forget.Lol. Ask him about my thumbnail photo someday.
I'll be sure to do that next time I cross his line....thats the only time I see him

I started a thread on main page about an upcoming Florida trip in a couple weeks. Anyone who is familiar with fishing there in May, please check out my thread and give me some advice. Thank you
Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I'll be sure to do that next time I cross his line....thats the only time I see him

I started a thread on main page about an upcoming Florida trip in a couple weeks. Anyone who is familiar with fishing there in May, please check out my thread and give me some advice. Thank you
I replied in your post.
PEACOCK BASS
Let me know, I'll pm you some spots