Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:46 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: the pats

Just turned on the game and had to laugh. Currently 26 ( oops 32 soon to be 33) to nothing. And I actually heard delusional NY broadcasters today pontificating about how the Jets had a chance to pick off the Pats.

Oh yeah.

I hate the Pats.

Carry on.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 AM
SS/Veteran

You should hate them if you normally root for any other team. The Pats are leading as though the other teams do not belong in the same league. Undefeated, they crushed the Jets last night. We went to bed at the half confident it was a rout in progress. Also, Pats top men are out with injuries and Gronk is retired. I said before: its Pats management that gets the job done.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Pats play again at 4:30 and it is going to be raining hard and windy which should make it interesting. Long passes in the wind could hamper Brady's passing game. Could the Pats have problems without their sensational passing game?
Old 10-27-2019, 03:55 PM

The Patriots could win this game with their practice squad.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:38 AM

Well, two of our members here are very happy (or in Frank's case, happy that his sweetheart is happy)
Old 10-28-2019, 09:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Its getting late in the season to remain undefeated. Next stage is that it will be boring. They keep winning even with injuries, Gronk retiring. But if something happens to Brady the Pats will be up the creek. But I also think that other players on other teams are instructed not to hit him to pamper him. Maybe a bad hit and the guy who does it would be killed in the parking lot.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
... But I also think that other players on other teams are instructed not to hit him to pamper him. ...
the league office and the officials have put all teams on notice to not touch Brady.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
the league office and the officials have put all teams on notice to not touch Brady.
Sooner or later Brady is going to be sidelined; if it happens the Pats will become losers. Did you see where the Pats old backup QB, Garapolo, is a big gun on his new team. Wish they had kept him, even for back up.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Letting Garapolo go seems like the one bonehead move the Pats have done in the current regime's tenure.

But who knows who they might have their eyes on for 2020/21 (when Brady apparently is retiring)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Don't worry the Pats org is so well administered they probably have a scouting bunch full time watching for a Garapolo-ish young buck. Remember, the Pats are not just football; they are management. While opposing teams zero in on football, Pats see the game as a totality -- clock management, stats, practice at a higher rate than what is traditional, money management, even locker room interactions. We have even seen them dump a player because they couldn't get along with the team in the locker room. You can bet, though I really don't know, other teams are missing in executing all that stuff. Which is why they win ... I guess.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:35 PM

well, you can't win them all!

(and I will note that Brady made one real sucky downfield overthrow that resulted in an interception)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:32 PM
SS/Veteran

It may be the beginning of age related decline. (Believe me, I know the feeling.) You can only lead the league for so long. Not saying the Pat's are down the drain, but we fans all have to be ready for the inevitable. We didn't see the game bein' as we were hunting next AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:08 AM

I believe Brady definitely showed his age but to be fair, and I hate to be fair to Belacheat, they were up against a new system /QB that came out hot, they made adjustments and turned what looked to be a blowout into a winnable game.

In game adjustments is one of many areas in which the Pats excel.

Unlike, say, the Giants... To just pick a team at random
Old 11-05-2019, 01:34 PM
SS/Veteran

The coach really handles the sporting press well. Like so many, Belichick exhibits contempt for those guys. You can see he doesn't want to talk to them. Its not an accident that Belichick and Mister Smarty despise the press. They are the masters of "fake news". Seems I heard that somewhere.

People don't trust newspapers. They no longer believe what they read which is why the newspapers are losing readers every day. Longer term, over 2,000 newspapers nationally have folded. I laughed when The Providence Journal had an initial public offering (IPO) and nobody bought in. Big industries commonly offer an IPO when their numbers decline. For example, ARAMCO, a Soudi outfit is having an IPO. Why would they do that? Because the future of big oil is in decline what with electric cars. Eventually there will not be any more "Gas Stations".

In my Masters Thesis on alternative energy in 1977 I predicted electric cars which would lead to a loss of use of petroleum. The demand for electric will go up and petroleum demand will go down. So don't buy Aramco. Incidentally, my advisor gave me an A. (and you thought I was just another pretty face.)
Old 11-12-2019, 05:24 PM

Not football, but apparently the Astros are getting a reputation in baseball similar to what the Pats have:

Former Astros pitcher Mike Fiers says team electronically stole signs in 2017

By Peter Botte

November 12, 2019 | 3:28pm | Updated

The Yankees were upset at the Astros for whistling from the dugout to allegedly steal signs during the ALCS in October, but one former Houston pitcher has come out as a public whistleblower on far more serious offenses involving the use of electronics in 2017.

Mike Fiers and three other unnamed sources have admitted to The Athletic that the Astros stole opposing teams’ signs during home games at Minute Maid Park during that season with the aid of a camera positioned in the outfield.

“That’s not playing the game the right way. They were advanced and willing to go above and beyond to win,” said Fiers, who played for the Astros from 2015 to 2017 and was non-tendered after Houston won the 2017 World Series over the Dodgers. “I just want the game to be cleaned up a little bit because there are guys who are losing their jobs because they’re going in there not knowing.”