Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Fall 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
As blaze alluded to these are the type of seasons that separate the hardcore from the fair weather fisherman. My next trip to NJ for fishing purposes will definitely not be in the fall. Just seems the spring run is more productive, especially with blues.

My feelings exactly...except for my trip to SH this afternoon. And maybe Thursday...
Old 11-19-2019, 03:39 PM
SS/Insider

I'd love to have someone explain the bizarre case of the missing blues in the fall. Every spring, they show up in numbers. Last 5 fall runs, none.
As for the bass, I've had 2 very good days and lots of not so hot days. Haven't seen the clouds of peanuts we used to see. No idea what's up, but I suspect that the major beach replenishment projects all along the Jersey coast have to have something to do with it.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrule View Post
I suspect that the major beach replenishment projects all along the Jersey coast have to have something to do with it.
I don't think it is helping but there have been sand eels around which beach replenishment is know to kill off.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:36 PM

got out this morning for about 90 minutes, no luck and nobody I spoke to had any either. I also met 2 people in the parking lot and one for them said they were 80 and still fishing.

Love it and hope to be so lucky.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
got out this morning for about 90 minutes, no luck and nobody I spoke to had any either. I also met 2 people in the parking lot and one for them said they were 80 and still fishing.

Love it and hope to be so lucky.
I plan to be able to say the same in less than 2 years Made the walk to the BL several days/nights in a row a few weeks back. Course I was walking in Bayakers foot prints right CUZ?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrule View Post
No idea what's up, but I suspect that the major beach replenishment projects all along the Jersey coast have to have something to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
I don't think it is helping but there have been sand eels around which beach replenishment is know to kill off.
No doubt beach replenishment has affected the surf fishing here in NJ.
But having fished Block, Cutty, and Montauk the number of larger fish is down everywhere (they don't have sand beaches). The only consistent bite I seen is the CC Canal. Guess what the CCC doesn't have that all of the other spots have= boats. No charters, no party boats, no private boats, no giant seiner nets cleaning out the bait-none of it. We can't keep killing all the large breeder fish and expect them to be there the following year, it's just not sustainable.

As if on cue, came across this right after I posted.
https://fishwrapwriter.com/2019/11/1...F0uZop3nQDUnWo

Last edited by DonLBI : 11-20-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 AM
SS/Insider

Couldn't agree with you more. Something drastic needs to be done. I've always thought that No Keepers in the Spring would help a lot. Let them all spawn.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:51 PM
Senior Fellow

agree; we need to understand that we protect the future of our fishery by what we do in the present; limit the season; slot keepers; no bonus tag; had a major blue blitz at first light here near Sebastian Inlet; saw two 4 ft sharks flopping in the wash when I first arrived; had a major hit on a topwater first light and fish ran some drag...got him in the wash and line snapped; never saw it; these are the stories that keep us fishing
Old 11-20-2019, 02:49 PM

I thought I'd posted this this morning. Must have forgotten to push the ENTER button and shut down. Sigh...

I went over to try my luck at SH yesterday after lunch. When I got there I saw a crowd at the gate beach parking and pulled in to check it out. I spoke with a guy who was taking off his waders who told me the water was chocolaty and nobody was getting anything. He recommended that I try down the coast a few miles where the water was cleaner and he'd caught a couple fish in the morning. I followed his advice, even though I'd never fished in the town he had mentioned.
I wandered down, found a parking space and hit the beach between some jetties. There were other fishermen in sight, but none nearby. I was throwing my old favorite, a bucktail and teaser and caught a fish in about 10 minutes. A little later I had another and dropped it in the wash.
It took 1.5 hours to get another hit for some reason, but I ended up with 4 fish, one of which might have been a real close to keeper size. The last 3 fish were all white teaser biters.
I will likely try that area again one afternoon this week.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I thought I'd posted this this morning. Must have forgotten to push the ENTER button and shut down. Sigh...

I went over to try my luck at SH yesterday after lunch. When I got there I saw a crowd at the gate beach parking and pulled in to check it out. I spoke with a guy who was taking off his waders who told me the water was chocolaty and nobody was getting anything. He recommended that I try down the coast a few miles where the water was cleaner and he'd caught a couple fish in the morning. I followed his advice, even though I'd never fished in the town he had mentioned.
I wandered down, found a parking space and hit the beach between some jetties. There were other fishermen in sight, but none nearby. I was throwing my old favorite, a bucktail and teaser and caught a fish in about 10 minutes. A little later I had another and dropped it in the wash.
It took 1.5 hours to get another hit for some reason, but I ended up with 4 fish, one of which might have been a real close to keeper size. The last 3 fish were all white teaser biters.
I will likely try that area again one afternoon this week.
that same crowd of people were there again today all morning, glad they arent catching anything in that one specific lot if Sandy Hook

I went further south, and had 1 hit on first cast then nothing for about 45 minutes, then just as I was wondering if it was appropriate time for a hot dog at Max's had one short, less than 20.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:45 PM

This looks like good fishing times, Deo gracias!
I'm heading to the beach tomorrow PM to catch the high end of the tide and early evening in Monmouth County.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:00 PM
SS/Veteran

So, when you walk out on the beach, and the first thing you see is a seal, and he follows you down the beach, should you just leave or make a harpoon
Old 11-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
So, when you walk out on the beach, and the first thing you see is a seal, and he follows you down the beach, should you just leave or make a harpoon
Pet him

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 11-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Senior Fellow

hearing great reports from several reliable sources; lots of fish close to beach; almost all fat and 22-28 in; anyone into them? lots of blues here in the surf; 20-24 in but nice and fat; got my first ever pompano this week in the Indian River on a swimming plug; my thoughts are with you on what may be a nice Fall run......and Happy Thanksgiving to all and time to reflect on the what really matters
Old 11-24-2019, 08:33 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
leave. they do get trained to steal fish or worse to associate you with "bait" (either the fish you catch or bait)

down here, we had a seal hanging by the south jetty in Brig due to folks feeding it. A biologist came to observe and keep chasing it off the jetty as it was a juvi and the behavior was very unhealthy for it.
Attached Images