Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-06-2005, 03:35 PM

It about that time of the year again. The stiper run has started up on the beach. I've been up on Island Beach State Park the last month. The last 2 weeks I've noticed the "New Dolphin" blue bags all ove rthe beach. Guys please ttake your garbage of the beach with you. There is a big huge green dumpster rigth where you have to air up. Just throw it in the dumpster. I know with the nice surf this weekend with this front coming through, that there will be garbage cming up in curtain spots, and getting caught on your line. Please do your part to keep OUR beaches and water clean.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:37 PM

welcome to the board
Old 05-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by macpintail1:
It about that time of the year again. The stiper run has started up on the beach. I've been up on Island Beach State Park the last month. The last 2 weeks I've noticed the "New Dolphin" blue bags all ove rthe beach. Guys please ttake your garbage of the beach with you. There is a big huge green dumpster rigth where you have to air up. Just throw it in the dumpster. I know with the nice surf this weekend with this front coming through, that there will be garbage cming up in curtain spots, and getting caught on your line. Please do your part to keep OUR beaches and water clean.

Thanks, for the above statement and welcome to the site.
Most people on this site will hit the beach and carry a garbage bag with them and come off with more than there own., JOe
Old 05-06-2005, 08:43 PM

Way to go Mac!! Good post. While I'm standing around, I pick up stuff in my area too. If everone did, and the washed up stuff too, things would be a little nicer. Furthermore, the burying stuff in the sand is just as bad. I also wish balloons at weddings should be outlawed. I am forever dealing with the mylar balloons with ribbons. I'm sure there's a fine for littering too. You never know who's watching.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 PM

CArry out - IBSP is turning into a s$*thole the last few years - more and more littering inconsiderate wanna be fishermen have been making a mess outta the place. I like to tell guys to clean up when I see them littering but the sad reality is most times it turns into a confrontation or a "whatever dude - get lost". Its a shame.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Senior Member Team SS

welcome mac good post saw the same picked up a few myself

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 05-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Hey guys your not the only ones having problems with litter 2 local beaches on the Raritan are about to get shut down for fisherman because of all the trash left on beaches. 2 prime early season striper hotspots
Old 05-08-2005, 02:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Ann from West Virginia & Steeve David from Illinois spent their day cleaninng up the beach.
Hey guys I caught this shot, and this is who some call Bennies .. Well job done Ann & steeve .
Old 05-08-2005, 02:48 PM
SS/Veteran

These are two college students, who like spending their time on a clean beach .
Three cheers for this couple .
If you should happen to see them at the Island I would wave with a great big smile .
Old 05-08-2005, 03:05 PM

Nothing like litering in the water you eat from. People are plain old lazy. When someone filets a fish and finds a cigarette but in its belly then mabey then they will stop littering.
The best was this one time I was drifting in the ocean and past about 15 floating condoms. Now thats a good day on the water !
I often wonder what peoples houses look like on the inside.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:53 PM
SS/Veteran

# 1 Dave not to be nasty, most of this garbage came from the n-east we just had, it washed in , . it's not always littering the beach , Tell me why with all the big logs that washed in needles and what ever, how come the state and workers of Island beach don't do their job and clean up also.
We Pay for passes, We pay to access the beach, I have picked up so much trash that it's unbelievable. why should I continue to do this ??
We have work crews and also jerks sitting on their fat as;;;;;;;;;; in jail , get them out and put them to work now before the hot weather comes and put our tax dollars to work.
Why should we who work and pay taxes clean up after whats washed in, we have tone of boards that washed in with big nails in them , we pay to drive on the beach and should not be subject to this either .
This couple from out of state just put Island beach Park to shame.
in a 1/4 of a mile they picked up three large black trash bags fullof garbage ,
Have the local cops, watch more instaed of sitting around doing nothing .
9 anglers got flat tires already at Island beach , so now the tow truck makes more money from the fishermen .
Seems like a lot of anglers are trying to hard ?? just go fishing and complain to the director of the parks and beaches , or the mayor, you'll see payed towm employess get off their butts and help us anglers keep a clean beach .
I have caught hundreds of stripers and blues, maybe thousands in my life, never found cig, butts in their belly.
thats pretty strange .
Why can't every one just go fishing and enjoy life, stop taking the local towns problems .. Complaing to your congress, the mayor,the pope, the state , the health dept, let these people get in volved .
This we put in a trash bag and dumped it in the dumbster .
Turned in the needle to the Park Ranger, which had a box in the back of his truck with more needles in it, he added this to it .
Old 05-08-2005, 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guppie:
# 1 Dave not to be nasty, most of this garbage came from the n-east we just had, it washed in , . it's not always littering the beach , Tell me why with all the big logs that washed in needles and what ever, how come the state and workers of Island beach don't do their job and clean up also.
We Pay for passes, We pay to access the beach, I have picked up so much trash that it's unbelievable. why should I continue to do this ??
We have work crews and also jerks sitting on their fat as;;;;;;;;;; in jail , get them out and put them to work now before the hot weather comes and put our tax dollars to work.
Why should we who work and pay taxes clean up after whats washed in, we have tone of boards that washed in with big nails in them , we pay to drive on the beach and should not be subject to this either .
This couple from out of state just put Island beach Park to shame.
in a 1/4 of a mile they picked up three large black trash bags fullof garbage ,
Have the local cops, watch more instaed of sitting around doing nothing .
9 anglers got flat tires already at Island beach , so now the tow truck makes more money from the fishermen .
Seems like a lot of anglers are trying to hard ?? just go fishing and complain to the director of the parks and beaches , or the mayor, you'll see payed towm employess get off their butts and help us anglers keep a clean beach .
I have caught hundreds of stripers and blues, maybe thousands in my life, never found cig, butts in their belly.
thats pretty strange .
Why can't every one just go fishing and enjoy life, stop taking the local towns problems .. Complaing to your congress, the mayor,the pope, the state , the health dept, let these people get in volved .
This we put in a trash bag and dumped it in the dumbster .
Turned in the needle to the Park Ranger, which had a box in the back of his truck with more needles in it, he added this to it .

You must not fish the hook a lot. Needles and crack vials are common.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:01 PM
SS/Veteran

Neverfished it Stripernight , where are your local authoritys?
are they washing in or are they being left, bu the druggies ??? if left then the police should be watching , if washed in , people are then dumping in the ocean .
Seems All is getting blamed on the fishermen , I have been seeing more anglers now then ever picking up trash, the next day more trash washes in .
We had area 13-15 almost 100 % cleaned, look at it today ?? lots of garbage washed in again .
Old 05-10-2005, 02:12 AM

you know this brings a (not so) funny story to mind...

i have a cove that i fish here in Sc...when i cant take the yak out i walk the 1 1/2 miles over the woodland to get there...
a few times i have gone i noticed a great amount of trash building up...no one is ever there when i go..but around here everyone fishes at night so i assume that this Debris is coming from the "night crew"...its beer bottles and the like...
so i took some of our latex gloves from work and a few trash bags and decided to clean the area while i was there...
i filled up two 30 gallon garbage bags with debris...well there was a boat coming up to me where i was fishing a static line drop shot rig....i didn't recognize the boat or the occupants at first..
they identify themselves as the DNR...(our fish police if you will) and ask if i have a license..which i produce...then they ask how i got there..i state i walked...they seemed to not believe that..but whatever...
then they ask whats in the bags..so i explain that i catch and release and also like to clean up areas that i fish in the hopes that others will follow...
i was told in no uncertain terms that what i was doing is ILLEGAL!!
it is against the law to remove from a conservation area...(ok.if you want to call it that..)any objects that were there when you arrived...according to the law...

well i am a slightly arrogant person on occasion...at least when the occasion warrants it..so i politely state..
look..i am a licensed angler who fishes this area and prefer to be able to fish without stepping on broken glass and various crap...if you want to ticket me for cleaning the area i fish...we are both going to look pretty stupid in court when i fight you on it...
the "officer" explained to me that should i become injured in the process the state is not liable for damages since i am in fact breaking the law..and that is in fact why the law was established...

so remember this...when you are proceeding to clean an area that you might fish at...you might sustain injury and the state or county may or may not be liable to damages should you receive some injury...and judging from that pic..those injuries could be life threatening...

the best way to thwart such debris on our beaches and in our fishing holes is to not have them in the first place...and to do that..we need an active body of dedicated anglers who will work to stop such stuff....
work with local law enforcement and lets get our voices heard...there is no reason that anglers cant have a variation of the neighborhood watch program to help curb this malicious behavior...or if it is from ocean sources, an adopt a beach program simular to the state funded (state funded people) adopt a highway program?
think about it...why clean it...elininate it!

anglers need to band together to stop this devestation of our fishing locations...before they are no more!

ok that is my 2 cents on the subject...but truthfully this whole thing disgusts me...there is no reason that we should have to deal with this kind of stuff...theres got to be a way that we can make it stop....and all it is going to take is someone strong enough to come up with a solution and stand by it...

guppy hit it on the head..."I have picked up so much trash that it's unbelievable. why should I continue to do this ??" and eventually we all grow tired...i shudder to think what then??
if what were doing isnt working then we need a new plan...if you always accept what you have always gotten..then you will always have what you have had!!..if we accept the trash then we will always have the trash!!!
with all the smart and educated minds on this board and in the angling community as a whole...no one can come up with a stand??

dont we owe it to ourselves to make a stand for cleaner shores??

sorry...but this kind of stuff really ticks me off...i want my son to be able to take his son to these shores...safely!

tell me this..which of you would actively be a part of an angling soceity that was dedicated to the preservation of the shore land? a group to make local legislation responsible for the monitoring and cleanp of the shore??
a group that can hold local legislation responsible for the desease and decay of our states shoreland!??
not letting the state politicians find excuses but holding them accountable for actions that damage our...OUR...shoreland!!!

StriperSurf Fly Fisher