Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-09-2005, 05:21 PM

Hey a quick question for those who are familiar with the G-Loomis surf series rods. In you knowledge are G-Loomis surf series rods a excellent rod? They seem like really great surf rods,and in my opinion of what I know they seemed better designed than lamiglas surf rods. Please write me back with your answer on this subject. Thanks.

David Price
Tight Lines
Old 01-09-2005, 05:21 PM

Hey a quick question for those who are familiar with the G-Loomis surf series rods. In you knowledge are G-Loomis surf series rods a excellent rod? They seem like really great surf rods,and in my opinion of what I know they seemed better designed than lamiglas surf rods. Please write me back with your answer on this subject. Thanks.

David Price
Tight Lines
Old 01-09-2005, 11:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Again?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:00 PM

I have an 8' Loomis plugging rod for 3 years now. I love it! Also, it has a lifetime guarentee, compared to a St. Croix, which has a 2 year. Worth every $.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM

I own a few Loomis' and they are great rods..!! Light, nice action, etc.

Lami's are also great rods..!

Probably the 2 best brands you could buy. (IMHO)

You won't be sorry if you buy the Loomis

Old 01-10-2005, 06:21 PM

I have a 9'6" Loomis 1 piece that is my primary plugging rod for the last 5-6 years. I think it's great, but I see they're like $255 now. I don't know if its worth that kind of money.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 AM
SS/Veteran

quote:
beachdude wrote: it has a lifetime guarentee, compared to a St. Croix, which has a 2 year. Worth every $.

Did you ever try to exercise your warranty with lamiglas or loomis after 3,4 or 5 years of use?
What about 20?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
SS/Veteran

I like the lamis personally, but it probably has more to do with what you want to do with the rod.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Loomis was bought by Shimano. I was talking to a pro bass fisherman whom I photographed the other day. He came in with a 1pc. med-lt Loomis, and I made mention of the blank. He said that all he uses now is Croix. Partly because he's worried about Loomis going down hill because Shimano may start selling cheaper Chinese produced blanks, and also because Croix makes rods custom for him with his name on it.
If you have older Loomis blanks, take care of them!!!
Also, he made mention of the fact that when the sale of Loomis went down, Loomis' four main designers went into the game on their own. I forget what they named the company, but if you're interested I can probably find out.
Just a little scuttle-but I picked up!!!

Also, I bought my dad the Croix avid series 9' 1pc surf rod for a x-mas gift. The rod is freakin' beautiful!!! I'm gonna' get myself one for the spring.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:45 PM
SS/Veteran

In the last month you open this discussion thread on every forum and sometimes few threads on the same forum (You drove Frank D. crazy). It looks to me you are obsess with this question and if I were you, I would go and buy both rods and sleep well at night knowing I acquired two excellent rods and no matter what, I did not go wrong. After all, one visit to the doctor office cost almost the same as each of these rods.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Siberian Husky Rescue

Check out Loomiglas.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by levari:
In the last month you open this discussion thread on every forum and sometimes few threads on the same forum (You drove Frank D. crazy). It looks to me you are obsess with this question and if I were you, I would go and buy both rods and sleep well at night knowing I acquired two excellent rods and no matter what, I did not go wrong. After all, one visit to the doctor office cost almost the same as each of these rods.

The guys a nut case Levari!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:20 PM

That is a good point regarding Loomis not really being Loomis any longer..!

All of my Loomis' are over 10 years old and in primo condition, but they are from the original company.

Around "96" I stepped on one (after a few beers) and they replaced it free no questions asked..!

The fact that they are now owned by Shimano could be something to consider in making your choice although I believe there return policy as of now is still good (not sure).

I believe Rogue is the company that spun off which was/is owned by Gary Loomis' son, but I am really not sure.( there was a tread about that a couple months back).

Can't go wrong with a Ugly Stick either..!! They are still one of my favorite rods..!!

Good Luck..!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 PM

I bought a Gloomis BUCARA BR933S. Wow! What a rod; perfect for fishing the inlet. Tremendous sensitivity and power. I was pulling something on every cast (even tho it was sea bass), useless flatties and other junk. But it was exciting when few were hitting anything. Next I will get the SURF series SUR1448C 12'. I left it late last year as I was between jobs. I will order it ready for necx year.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:12 AM

I have the SUR1266S. Love everything about it.