Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-02-2015, 12:55 PM

Default Deal NJ - new parking restrictions, permit only

And so it begins......... We all saw this coming as soon as the state reneged on the access rules and had them rewritten in 2011 to give all the access enforcement power to the individual towns
Remember this?
http://stripersurf.com/forums/showth...02#post2353202

Now the town of Deal has proposed paring restrictions limiting parking to permit only, aka residents only, on most of the beach front streets

Littoral Society, Surfriders, Asbury Fishing Club, SRSA, CRAB. NJ Divers...... all the groups that were involved with the access fight when the state changed the access rules have been contacted

The best thing we can do is get this out into the media. Remember, Christie is trying to run for president and handouts to the wealthy, which is exactly what this is, will look very bad for him.

If anyone has any media contacts, make sure they're aware of this situation.

The hearing is in Deal at 9:00 AM on Friday the 9th. (when very few people can get there)
Everyone who can be there should go.

At the same time we fight this parking situation we should also fight the "swimming unprotected water" ordinance.
If you go into the water over your knees without a surf board or boogie board you can be ticketed, the fine runs from $250 to $2000.
(SurfRider threatened to sue them many years ago, thus the exemption for surfers)

Call or email, Congresspeople -
Caroline Casagrande ? (732) 866-1695, aswcasagrande@njleg.org
Mary Pat Angelini ? (732) 531-1045, aswangelini@njleg.org
and State Senator Jennifer Beck (732) 933-1591, Senbeck@njleg.org

Bob Martin, Commissioner DEP
401 E. State St.
7th Floor, East Wing
P.O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402
phone: (609) 292-2885
fax: (609) 292-7695
Commissioner@DEP.NJ.Gov
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2015, 05:39 PM
SS/Insider

Default Re: Deal NJ - new parking restrictions, permit only

Lets all make sure we pay our taxes in case they need another beach replenishment! Nothing but a bunch of greedy arrogant bastards who want to have it all to themselves.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Senior Fellow

do I read it to say no permit needed after Oct 31? at least the Fall run will be open
Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 AM

I read required may 1st to Oct 31st
Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

just trying to keep out the rifraff, like another elite borough down here Longport (and I suppose some others along the barrier islands as well)
Old 10-05-2015, 11:25 AM
SS/Insider

Towns who accept state and federal funding should be required to provide parking and beach access for the general public. The shore is a national resource and should be available to all.

On second thought, funds or no funds access should be provided--it's a national resource.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Senior Fellow

I grew up right next to Deal so I am well aware of the view of "outsiders"; as kids we always pushed the envelope so I guess I will keep at it; beautiful town, had lots of friends there but not a place that welcomed non-residents; maybe we schedule a big get together on Nov 1 and fill the beach streets ???
Old 10-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Sorry bill, just realized you wrote Oct 31st as well up top.

Deal has some nice rock piles, this parking thing sucks. I only skimmed the document, but does it say it only applies if you park east of ocean ave? Which would mean if you park just west of ocean and walk an extra block you would be ok??
Old 10-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Senior Fellow

I guess; it's really only and extra block or 2 but Deal is Deal; I plan to fish there after Nov 1
Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 AM

Ditto
Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 AM
SS/Veteran

The people in Deal have been wanting to cast all non residents out for ever!! They have been trying and trying!! Its a damn shame 1st they ruin a wonderful eco system that has survived in those jettys for years ...now almost all gone...They constantly give parking tickets..They mark tires so that they can get u past the 2hr mark and right tickets....Now they want the beaches to themselves!!! TOTAL BS!!! We (the tax payers) paid for your nice new sand and beaches but no one is allowed to access it... come on!!! Fish this area a lot(or really used to)and its become such a pain just to find some area that hasnt been ruined,that i barely go anymore...I think the main problem was a few bad apples in the bunch(meaning surfers and fisherman)that ruined things for everyone...I can understand some of the residents getting pissed about some actions of other stupid people...But go down to those beaches between Oct and about May.....Not a person (resisdent) to be found all those enormous houses EMPTY!! Beach EMPTY! Just another spot that may be gone for good....Isnt NJ the best
Old 10-06-2015, 09:39 AM

If you really care, write your Congressman and Senators. Tell them that you don't want your tax dollars to be used to replenish beaches that the locality won't allow easy access...if they don't want me, they shouldn't have my money!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:37 PM

Going viral - The story's been picked up by the Associated Press.

Date: 10/06/2015 11:47 AM
BC-NJ--Beach Access/136
Eds: APNewsNow. Will be updated. With AP Photos.

Shore town eyes parking near beaches for residents only
WAYNE PARRY
Associated Press

DEAL, N.J. (AP) - Even as work crews are widening its beaches with sand paid for by every American taxpayer, one wealthy Jersey shore town plans to prevent the public from parking near those beaches.
The borough of Deal is due to vote Friday on an ordinance that would restrict parking on six streets nearest the beach to residents-only.
They would be issued permits to display in their vehicles.
The move comes as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is finishing a beach replenishment project that has drastically widened Deal's beaches. The work was completely paid for by the federal government.
Beach access advocates and fishing groups are protesting the move, saying Deal has a long history of discouraging outsiders from using its beaches.
Deal officials did not respond to requests for comment.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:11 PM
SS/Insider

From Associated Press 8:14PM

Deal tables plan for residents-only beach parking

DEAL The shorefront borough appears to be backing away from a plan to restrict parking near its newly replenished beaches to residents only after the proposal generated storms of protest.

The New Jersey Environmental Protection Department told The Associated Press that borough officials indicated Tuesday they will table the proposal indefinitely.

The Deal Board of Commissioners was scheduled to vote Friday on an ordinance limiting parking on six streets near the beach to residents, who would be given permits for their cars.

The Deal Board of Commissioners was scheduled to vote Friday on an ordinance limiting parking on six streets near the beach to residents, who would be given permits for their cars.

But word of the borough’s plans generated much opposition; an online petition against the plan had gathered nearly 3,000 signatures as of Tuesday evening.

“Deal notified us today they were tabling the ordinance,” DEP spokesman Bob Considine said. “We have concerns (that) it may impact public access, and it could conflict with the agreement signed with the U.S. Army Corps (of Engineers) project. We also simply want to ensure that we work toward providing more public access and not limiting access.”

Deal’s mayor and borough administrator could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

The proposal came as the Army Corps of Engineers is finishing a nearly $40 million beach replenishment project that has drastically widened Deal’s beaches — work completely paid for by the federal government.

Beach access advocates and fishing groups protested the plan, saying Deal has a long history of discouraging outsiders from using its beaches.

“How is this town getting away with this?” asked John Weber, east coast regional manager of the Surfrider Foundation. “When we were challenging New Jersey’s new beach access regulations four years ago, this is exactly what we warned would happen: If you let the towns be in charge of their own beach access, they’ll pull stuff like this. That has come true.”

Restrictive parking laws are one tactic some Shore towns employ to discourage outsiders from using their beaches. Deal currently restricts parking on some streets near the beach to two hours during the day. Mantoloking also uses that tactic but takes it a step further by restricting people from parking on any public street practically anywhere in the town for more than two hours within a 24-hour period. If a visitor parks in one spot for two hours, then moves the car to a different street, he or she can still get a parking ticket. Several municipalities on Long Beach Island also drastically restrict parking, which has the practical effect of limiting beach access to homeowners.

Deal, just north of Asbury Park, has a mile of beaches, but swimming is permitted at only about 1,300 feet of it, at a private beach club and one open to the public.
Weber said his group went to court to challenge a town ordinance in the 1990s under which police would ticket surfers for violating no-swimming regulations at the other beaches. The policy has since changed to permit surfing, he said.

“Access was so notoriously bad in this town even before they decided to do this,” he said.

Jeff Tittel, director of the New Jersey Sierra Club, called Deal’s proposed ordinance “shameful.”

“Towns like Deal want our money for beach replenishment, but do not want to allow the people who pay to fix the beaches to get access to them,” he said. “This is another example of a town trying to restrict public access by eliminating and severely restricting parking. The beaches of New Jersey belong to all of us and the people of New Jersey have the right to get to our coast. By limiting parking, the average person cannot get to the beach they own unless they live in town.”

When I drink alcohol, I'm an alcoholic. I've switched to Fanta.....you guessed it....I'm FANTASTIC !!

Last edited by crawdad_flipper : 10-06-2015 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added source
Old 10-06-2015, 09:45 PM

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...medium=twitter