Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-28-2003, 05:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I was reading over some of those juicy stories on that other 'FAVORITES' thread. (Lord knows anyone would kill for fifteen minutes in the skinny right now with some old liners rolling w/in casting distance). Anyway...as I was reading through some of those blitz stories, I had a flashback of me, of all things getting caught. The one time was the time at IB with those big boys flopping. I got one up to unhook, and instead of unhooking it on the ground I was holding the mother w/ my hand around its gills/neck. Well wouldn't you know it, that bad boy slipped and a galvized hook of an Atom popper went in right behind that fat part behind my middle finger. WOOOOWEEEE! The barb was still inside the flesh and trying to break through. What a way to blow a good time. I had my buddy, after much encouragement and prodding, push that baby through. WOOOOWEEE! He did. We cut the barb, pulled the hook, and right back to JUMBOLIA.
It was weird standing in the wash with blood dripping into the water with monster blues around. I was thinking, "I wonder if this is a good idea." Ahhh the fun of surf fishing.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I was reading over some of those juicy stories on that other 'FAVORITES' thread. (Lord knows anyone would kill for fifteen minutes in the skinny right now with some old liners rolling w/in casting distance). Anyway...as I was reading through some of those blitz stories, I had a flashback of me, of all things getting caught. The one time was the time at IB with those big boys flopping. I got one up to unhook, and instead of unhooking it on the ground I was holding the mother w/ my hand around its gills/neck. Well wouldn't you know it, that bad boy slipped and a galvized hook of an Atom popper went in right behind that fat part behind my middle finger. WOOOOWEEEE! The barb was still inside the flesh and trying to break through. What a way to blow a good time. I had my buddy, after much encouragement and prodding, push that baby through. WOOOOWEEE! He did. We cut the barb, pulled the hook, and right back to JUMBOLIA.
It was weird standing in the wash with blood dripping into the water with monster blues around. I was thinking, "I wonder if this is a good idea." Ahhh the fun of surf fishing.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:18 PM

agony and ecstacy...
About 4 years ago in the fall, I attended a striper seminar in Brigantine by Al McRenolds; I'd met his son Tom a few nights earlier while kayaking past the Harrah's dock. After the seminar, Tom, Al, and I planned on fishing the beach later in the afternoon. It was a grey day, with a light rain, east wind, and the surf was foamy and pearl colored, so I decided to kill some time fishing the south end jetty. Guy hung out in their trucks, so I was alone, and threw a blue/clear bomber to the ocean side, hooking up on the 3rd cast. The fish was visible in the vertical face of the wave (my first striper ever) and i hauled it in, hopped onto beach, and a guy ran out and held the bass down. I measured it with my hand, assuming the span to be 9 inches, and it was exactly 3 spans (27 inches) so I had to set my first bass free. Two trebles were imbedded in both top and bottom lips, and when it shook, I was hooked deep under the thumb, no hook visible at all. The guy cut the lips with a knife and I drove to the hospital in AC, wearing yellow slickers and golf spikes. When they called me in, I skidded on the linoleum floor, legs splaying, arms flying, back twisting, plug spinning, but I stayed up, to the howls of the emergency room.
2 hours later, the hook was out, and I called Al with the bad news. The worst thing was that Al had been adamant in the seminar that you should always have pliers, and I didn't have any - later I measured my hand span, and it was 9.5 inches....so the fish was actually a keeper

jeffg
Old 01-29-2003, 02:42 PM

I was out on the boat fluking with my dad. We had just started fishing and my dad was trying to get some killies. A small wave hit the boat and his line with sinker attached went over his head. The hook went into his cheek. Since we had just got out, my dad was all ready to cut the line and keep fishing if it was bad. Luckily I was able to pull it out and keep on fishing.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:31 PM

About 3 years ago I was stelehead fishing in Pulaski NY and saw a guy with a J-PLug treble hook in his ear. He had 2 of the 3 points in his ear.
He said he walked behind a guy while back casting and I-E !
It looked like it hurt like hell !
Needless to say he was not happy, especially since it was his father who hooked him.