Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-07-2003, 10:44 AM

thnx for the info.this is my first year surf fishing what type of rigs and or bait can be used for herring and other mentioned fish in the inlet. Also how about barnegat inlet for them should be ok no? THNX for the info think spring!!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 10:44 AM

thnx for the info.this is my first year surf fishing what type of rigs and or bait can be used for herring and other mentioned fish in the inlet. Also how about barnegat inlet for them should be ok no? THNX for the info think spring!!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 10:50 AM
sun tzu

sabiki rigs can be used (they are pe-tied multi hook rigs with glow-beads, flashing and feathers) or you can just use mister twisters on a short shank hook. to either rig use about a 1 oz. bank sinker, heave it out, let it sinkl a bit (but not to the bottom) and reel it in, with an occasional yank. You will fond that depending onthe tide and current the herring will hold in a certain part of the inlet. They are fun to catch.
I don't know about BI, I only catch them consistently at manasquan have not had much luck with sea herring at SRI.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:05 AM

thnx again hugh you have been a big help. Good Luck think i will try it there this weekend. will let you know.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:43 PM

Hugh is once again correct. Squan inlet usually is a great herring spot in the winter and they are fun to catch. Gamagatsu makes a rig which has 7 or 8 beaded flies on it with super sharp hooks. I like them better than the Sabaiki's as they have the beads and 2 more hooks. Hook into 3 or 4 on a cast and hold on. 3 or 4 fish fighting 4 differedt ways and jumping like a brook trout is pretty cool on light tackle.
Take a spike and a heavy rod and live line a fresh herring out for big striper if they are lurking they are usually feeding.
Hugh... Where is SRI ? Also... Have you fished the Squan inlet yet this year for herring and how did you do ? What part seems to be as good spot ? I may be down on friday afternoon. Thanks...
<'(//////)><
Old 01-12-2003, 02:49 PM

I was fishing on the Gambler a few weeks ago and we got into Mackeral with herring mixed in. A guy on the boat was live lining the Macs and Herring and he caught the only Striper on the boat. The mate told him he would not catch one that way and that he should jig like everyone else. They work!
Old 01-12-2003, 08:07 PM

Yep..... fresh injured swimmers fare well in the water. Stripers love them. I guess after seeing dead clam globs and bunker chunks all summer long a fresh swimmer is irrreeesistable.
It is just like live lining the peanut bunker in the fall but they are a lot bigger.
<'(//////////)><
Old 01-13-2003, 12:11 PM

hey thnx for all the ideas did not get out there this weekend to windy and cold as h---but am ready to try sounds like fun cant wait thnx again happy fishing.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:45 PM
sun tzu

SRI is Shark River Inlet in Belmar.

They have been catching a few in manasquan inlet. A good spot is very tide specific. On the incoming I like to fish towards the back of the inlet right where the wall angle back, near the restraunt there. Cast up current at about a 45 degree angle as far as you can and reel in as your rig is swept down curent. If your rig hits the bottom its gone, very sticking bottom in the inlet.