Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 06-05-2016, 03:34 AM

Default The hook

I was thinking about taking the kids down to the hook this Friday when I'm off. They just want to get on some fish, even if its dog fish as they've never caught a saltwater fish yet. I've only ever caught them off a boat and I'm still learning the art of surf fishing so any help on gear or baits or anything would help tremendously! Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-05-2016, 07:39 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: The hook

Chris,

If you go to the top of the page, you will see a number of links. All the way on the right is the one "Surfcasting"... that will give you a LOT of information.

Basically a couple of things different from a boat:

1. you have to deliver your bait or plugs to a spot where fish are working, that involves casting
2. you have limited ability to move once you catch a fish, so your tackle needs to be able to handle the stress of water, bait and terminal tackle and a fish.

Even bigger dogfish can test the limits of virtually any freshwater tackle folks around here have, so unless you are used to fishing for muskies, you can't use freshwater gear.

Boat tackle, when beefy enough, does not usually cast properly, due to shorter length, and different reels...possibly... so you'll want dedicated surf gear.

a 9 or 10' rod, rated at 3-8oz for bait, or 2-5oz for plugs, with a reel in the 5000 class minimum, will get you going generally for anything, though most surf anglers
have a few different rigs (few...HA! ) lightening up for summer fluking (or in my case kingfish-ing), beefier for fishing bunker heads in the spriing and fall, better casting for plug fishing etc etc.

that's a start... much much more can be said.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:57 PM
SS/Veteran

The hook is a great place At the hook during the day there are certain areas that you can fish, and certain areas you can't fish where the lifeguards are. There is a fishing beach, there are good areas to fish, unfortunately they are closed because the birds(pipeing plovers) are nesting Bring bug spray, in the summer there are black flies during the day noseeums at dusk and mosquitoes at night You could hide in the poison ivy but then you would have to worry about the ticks Just kidding about it being a nice place But seriously, it is a great place to bring the kids for the day. Been going there for many years, a few times a week. I don't have lyme's, don't have the zika virus, and the poison ivy goes away with a cortisone shot. Don't worry about horseflys, the blackflies will eat them It really is a nice place to fish. FYI, don't bring the kids to Gunnision
Bring a light rod for the fluke ( 1/2oz sinker, 4/0 hook and gulp on a dropper loop) another rod for bait, and maybe a pluggin rod with metal if the blues show. Good luck, enjoy the day with the kids. Bay
Old 06-05-2016, 09:40 PM

Best advice is to follow bayyaker and do what he does
Old 06-05-2016, 10:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Best advice is to follow bayyaker and do what he does
Yah, but don't bring the kids to Gunnison
Old 06-06-2016, 08:42 PM

I fished the hook once before....I believe we parked in the last parking lot and went out to the beach and by the end of the day we were all the way out to the point....we caught a ton of fish but that was in September....the trip doesn't definitely have to be to the hook everything is about 3 hours from me so I just want to be in the best possible position for the kids to get some fish on the beach. I have two 9' rods with 50lb braid on them that I use for catfish and also what I used the last time I was there so I plan on bringing those rods again.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:01 PM

Sounds good, as far as tackle is concerned, and the hook and Monmouth county surf is still giving up good fish.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:19 PM

If you just want to catch ANY fish I would fish the surf and chunk bunker. Make sure its fresh.

You have a shot at many species that way...skates, dogfish, striped bass, bluefish, sea robin and even fluke.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Well we got some bunker for bait and even though the numbers were low we got some sea robins which the kids thought was great, and a guy down from us got a dogfish so they ran down to check it out. All in all was a fun day and they're ready to go again! Thanks for the advice guys!! Going to ac this coming weekend with the entire family so I'll be taking my stuff along to hopefully sneak away for a little fishing!
Old 06-12-2016, 12:55 PM

If you can stop in to talk to the guys at one stop bait and tackle on Atlantic Ave towards the north end. They've got the scoop and bait on what's happening in AC!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the reply I'll be sure to stop in there and see whats going on!