Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-13-2003, 09:14 AM

This weekend I purchased a 8' Mod-fast action Tica spinning rod. Seems like a decent, inexpensive rod that is fairly well made. Does anyone have any experience or information about these rods? My purchase was spur of the moment and I didn't do my homework before my purchase. Any information would be helpful.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:14 AM

This weekend I purchased a 8' Mod-fast action Tica spinning rod. Seems like a decent, inexpensive rod that is fairly well made. Does anyone have any experience or information about these rods? My purchase was spur of the moment and I didn't do my homework before my purchase. Any information would be helpful.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:17 PM

KR,

I've heard GREAT things about Tica. They came highly recommended by a long time fisherman who owns a tacle shop in the area. Seems Tica was a private label brand and I heard they made the blanks for the more expensive lines(St. Croix, etc). Since they were known for their reels they started to sell their rods under their own name too.

I heard they are light, strong and perfect for plugging the surf. I will be buying one this winter. You chose wisely.

- IrishAngler

- IrishAngler
Old 01-13-2003, 09:21 PM

I have only 3 years solid experience at surf fishing, so you can take this post with a grain o' salt. But I am VERY happy with my new 8 ft. Tica. I started using a 7 ft. Ugly Stik for plugging and it was too heavy with no action. Man did my arm hurt after repeated casts. This fall Capn. Bruce sold me this Tica at a good price and I really love it. I only pulled in two shorts and a small blue on it but had no problems. (I haven't been fortunate enough to see how it does with a 12 lb. plus fish.) The rod had quite a bit of backbone to it with nice tip action and pretty fast recovery. It is really light (low fatigue) and casts just fine. I used mostly 7/8 and 1 oz. plugs (Bombers, some poppers) using 15 lb. test with a Penn 5500SS and it did great. I do a lot of night fishing and it served me well. I'm seriously considering buying one or two of their bigger poles for bait. Also, I put a lot of use on it this fall and it looks new still. A co-worker has a similar St. Croix rod that cost him about 3 times this one and its pretty beat up after a few seasons. For me anyway, it was more than worth the price.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Where are you getting these rods?, or where can you get a Tica rod?
Old 01-14-2003, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the response, I now feel I chose wisely. I haven't used it yet, though I can't wait until I do. Supposedly they are just trickling into the country and are very hard to get. Hell, for the money (my rod retailed for $69.99) it is hard to beat. It is light, seems well made, and inexpensive. Now I just have to get some fish on the other end to make my final
decision. I've made my New Year's resolution to catch a 30 pounder this year. I'll keep you posted on how the rod performs and whether or not I get my 30 pounder. Good luck to all for a banner 2003!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:59 AM

I have yet heard of Tica but the question is what is there garuentee. My Ugly Stick's tip was closed in a car door and broke off. Sent it back and without question a new one was sent at no cost in a few week.
Same with my St. Croix. I have had this rod from the early 80's. sent it back twice to have it re wrapped. Came back like new both times and the cost was minimal. This rod is in such nice condition I was called by St. Croix to see if I wanted to have a NEW one sent in its place. Obviousley someone had a liking for it. Yea right ! I still fish it today.
For 69.95 if it breaks you could alway buy a new one. Then again my 8 ft. Ugly was 69.95 with a garuentee.
Bottom line... if you like it fish it, if it breaks worry about it then.
<'(//////)><
Old 01-16-2003, 08:20 PM

bassin13, I bought my 8 ft. at Jersey Coast, Mantoloking Rd, Brick. I think Reel Life , Bridge Ave., Point Pleasant has them. (So I've been told.) I have also seen them on ebay. One company that sells them on ebay is Har-Lee Rod, Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City. (All of these are in NJ.)

KR, great New Year's resolution!!!

NJ Dave, I checked two sources regarding the warranty and saw another on ebay. They all said the same. These rods have a 1 year warranty that is handled over the counter/place of purchase. One source said they have had very few warranty returns and they all went very smoothly for both the customer and them,the dealer. This dealer said the only minor problem he has had is the communication/language difficulty that was encountered when dealing with them since they are overseas. (Understandable, I guess.) Since it's in the hands of your local shop, if you have a good relationship with him and if he has no problem getting his credit, I see little problem. Not like I recently read here about Lamiglas or the great things I heard about Ugly Sticks but this Tica rod thing is all pretty new. They started as mainly a reel manufacturer I believe. We'll see.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:23 PM
ferret

Tica is rip-off company, they copy other manufacturers' products. Taurus = Shimano Stella and Tica Saltwater Spinning = G. Loomis Surf Series. They save money on R&D and also on their warrantee, you get what you pay for. I aint saying that Tica a bad company, in fact their products look very nice, especially for the price. But dont expect them to stand behind their rods like Lamiglas, Loomis or St. Croix.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:30 AM

I hear ya ferret. Supposedly they started out in the reel business and made parts for Shimano and Diawa and sold their own line as copies. Prior to Jan 11th I had never heard of Tica. I purchased my rod based merely on what I saw to be good quality and a great price. I'm not expecting it to be a Loomis or St Croix. I have Loomis and Rogue rods. I love them and they are works of art and have such a loyal customer base because they are great products with good guarantees (though expensive). I purchased the Tica mainly as a great backup rod that I can loan someone and not have to worry about it getting roughed up due to it's inexpensive price.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:41 AM

If you like, it buy it. If it catches, fish it. If it breaks wory about it then. As a back up rod I am sure it will work well. My back up rod is a 49.99 7 ft. Ugly with a small Diawa BB reel. (Both with a warantee)
Bottom line, if you don't care about a warantee then dont wory about the rod.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:55 PM
SS/Insider

I checked out two 8' Tica rods one rated up to 2 oz and the other up to 3 oz. Even the 2 oz. was very stiff. A 1 1/4 oz. lure would not load the rod very much. There was no comparison to the 8' Lamiglas in flexibility or price. For an inexpensive rod as a spare, it's a good deal.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:56 PM

I just got a phone call from digital dagger a couple of day ago - they just received some tica rods. Check out www.digitaldagger.com
Old 01-25-2003, 10:30 AM

There is no way you can compart a 99.99 Tica to a Lamni, St Croix, or a Loomis. There isa just no way. I am sure they make a decent product but like everyone says, it is new and like all new things the bugs have to be worked out.
I just picked up a Diawa surf series 10.5 ft. 2 piece. It was 124.99. It seem so far to be a nice rod but would not in any way compare it to my St. Croix. I have a new Croix as well as a Croix from the early 80's and they both are excelent. I sent my old one back to them for new guides and I immediatley got a call from them asking if I wanted a new rod as a warantee replacment. Obviousley someone had an evy on this piece. I still fish it today with much happiness (and luck)
Quality and cost both go hand in hand.
Over the years I have found Croix to suit me the best as a top end rod and Ugly's and Diawas for mid/bottom end rods.
Over the years I have fished many rods either mine or friends. Once you find what you like you stick with it. Example, I have no quams about fishing a $200 Croix next to my $69 Ugly as well as my $29.99 old as hell 12 ft. Zebco surf rod.
It al is a matter of taste. Don't buy a rod because if it is expensive it must be good.
I have had a Van Stall and did not care for it. It was a nice product but for the money I liked my Penns, Shimannos and Diawas better. It all is a matter of taste.
<'(//////)>< Tight lines to come soon !
Old 01-26-2003, 06:43 PM

I have a 10 foot casting Tica and so far It is a good rod I agree that it is not A lami or st croix but for the money you can't beat it.