Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Fishing Reports for the rest of 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Was that a trout rod you were using
Looks like one compared to the baseball bats everyone else was using. It's a 7 foot one piece medium fast rod designed by Tsunami for slo-pitch jigging. It's rated for lures from 1/2 to2 ounces and line 10 t 30 pounds. I have 10 # braid on it which I'd rather were 20 # with big girls coming to the neighborhood.

I suspect you were the bearded gentleman wearing waders, no?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Thanks, Bill! I was thinking of you down there in the sun as I slung my BTs into the gale.

slinging into a cold wind is one of the reasons we do this; when the hit happens the chill somehow disappears
Old 11-14-2018, 08:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Looks like one compared to the baseball bats everyone else was using. It's a 7 foot one piece medium fast rod designed by Tsunami for slo-pitch jigging. It's rated for lures from 1/2 to2 ounces and line 10 t 30 pounds. I have 10 # braid on it which I'd rather were 20 # with big girls coming to the neighborhood.

I suspect you were the bearded gentleman wearing waders, no?
Me and my bud, I have the black hole Suzuki rod rated 1/2-2, fun with the schoolies, waiting to land something with shoulders to see what it?s capable of. The maker says, no problem with 30lb bass. I hope to find out.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:27 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Most rod blanks will surprise you with their power... not like yesteryear.

IMO the bigger issue is having the right reel, at least on the open beach. Good drag, good leader and terminal setup and you can do well.

I definitely met my match on the sand a month ago with that shark, but for striped ones, again open sand, you should have no trouble.

I'm more a pool stick guy when it comes to turning something near danger(rocks, pilings etc)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 AM

I've whipped some large bass with a salmon rod and an eight weight fly rod on the sand .....not recently though A sharp hook is necessary and with light gear I always carry a small diamond hook file on a lanyard.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
M

I'm more a pool stick guy ...

Okay, I was laying it on a bit heavy referring to "baseball bats." "Pool stick" is much fairer.

Yes, I need to up my game with sharpening. I'd say catching so many fish was causing the dulling of my hooks, but it's more likely getting them dragged through the sand over and over.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Okay, I was laying it on a bit heavy referring to "baseball bats." "Pool stick" is much fairer.

Yes, I need to up my game with sharpening. I'd say catching so many fish was causing the dulling of my hooks, but it's more likely getting them dragged through the sand over and over.
the other thing, if you want to handle good fish, is to change hooks or be aware of the cheap hook used by certain lures.

more guys seem to be using bucktails lately but those prepackaged generic paddle tail rubber lures do NOT all have good strong hooks in them. I've had a couple of open and it is NOT fun when that happens. Then again, being aware and having a reel with a good drag helps mitigate the issue
Old 11-15-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:

J,
I believe that our hooks are dulled mostly by sand, rock and salt more than anything else these days
Old 11-15-2018, 05:33 PM

Moco 10AM to 1PM Out front with an incoming tide. I tried to get in the zone for a short while with a hard East wind while on the fly. I made a few decent casts with a 400 grain sink line, but the wind increased, making this a fools effort. I was hoping for a NE wind to take advantage of a better angle. It sure looked fishy until it started to sleet and snow. I switched to the back side, but couldn't find the zone despite some olympic worthy distance casts with the 20 plus mph wind cranking at my back.
My fly snagged quite a few small grass shrimp on every other cast.

Lesson learned during this attempt:

If you go you before a N'Easter, you will have the sand to yourself!

Wool gloves with leather on the palm side, will keep your hands warm even when wet from the fly line, snow, sleet and rain.

Dress warm and waterproof and it will always feel good to scratch an itch, even when you don't catch
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 AM

YD, What do you think of throwing bucktails out on the Hook or into the waves in other areas using a 10'6" salmon rod? It doesn't really have the kind of snap I might need to give the jig much action, but I think it would be fun to use.

You wrote that you handled large fish with that kind of rod. As RobS wrote, the key is probably the reel. I think my Penn Battalion 4000 is plenty of reel for that rod for just about any fish I'll ever see, and that 20 pound test line and that rod would serve very well, too.

I've landed chopper blues with it using poppers in the bay and ocean around IBSP, but not lately.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
YD, What do you think of throwing bucktails out on the Hook or into the waves in other areas using a 10'6" salmon rod? It doesn't really have the kind of snap I might need to give the jig much action, but I think it would be fun to use.

You wrote that you handled large fish with that kind of rod. As RobS wrote, the key is probably the reel. I think my Penn Battalion 4000 is plenty of reel for that rod for just about any fish I'll ever see, and that 20 pound test line and that rod would serve very well, too.

I've landed chopper blues with it using poppers in the bay and ocean around IBSP, but not lately.
I would like to chime in if I could, I have used my 10 ft salmon rod for albies, which had me up and down the beach, even tried it for fluke but didn?t care for it( couldn?t get a good hook set) I would be concerned about the hookset on a bass or fighting a bass for a extended amount of time. I recently purchased a Black Hole suszuki rod , 10ft 1/2-2oz. This rod had the same action as my salmon rod. I had a issue with the hookset on some of the bass I caught so I cut it down to 9ft. Liking it better now. As far as the salmon rod, I would think that you wouldn?t be able to work the bt properly
Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
I would like to chime in if I could, I have used my 10 ft salmon rod for albies, which had me up and down the beach, even tried it for fluke but didn?t care for it( couldn?t get a good hook set) I would be concerned about the hookset on a bass or fighting a bass for a extended amount of time. I recently purchased a Black Hole suszuki rod , 10ft 1/2-2oz. This rod had the same action as my salmon rod. I had a issue with the hookset on some of the bass I caught so I cut it down to 9ft. Liking it better now. As far as the salmon rod, I would think that you wouldn?t be able to work the bt properly
And one note on hookset for a fly rod... if you're thinking that it'd be similar to a salmon rod. Remember on a salmon rod, it's designed to fish with relatively light leader, to deliver eggs, or nymphs or other light offerings. A flyrod similarly is designed to throw a relatively heavy line with a light offering, requiring the flex. But on a fly rod, the hook set is NOT achieved using the rod: you point the rod at the fish and PULL the 30lb test fly line to directly set the hook, then you lift the rod.

You can't really use that same approach with a salmon rod, unless I suppose you had braid on it and did something similar, but that's probably not using the best tool for the job, at that point.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:17 AM

When I use a salmon rod for buck tails, it has been an 8 1/2 foot Cabalas Fish Eagle rated for 1/2 oz to 2 oz. I also like it for the SP minnow, Rapala ,smaller mag darter, swim baits, poppers., and my all time favorite, the 3/4 Oz Hopkins shorty with single buck tail hook.

The rod worked best with these offerings in 3/4 oz to 1 oz.
My salmon rods use casting round reels that are hot rodded.

My longer salmon rods are used for high low rigs and sliding float rigs for fluking. The longer length does not cast larger plugs very well as they overload on the backcast with lures over 2 oz.

All that being said, I have hooked up with large rays on a 10 1/2 foot salmon rod and Abu Record 51 and brought them to the sand after long struggles.

Salmon rods are not my choice targeting big fish around hard structure and Jettys.

I've been out at the tip on the Jetty of Barnegate inlet, with a big ray on the line and had to tip toe back to the sand to land them and not loose all my mono. Lots of fun, time consuming and tricky even with studded Korkers on.

You can whip almost anything with a salmon and fly rod with good technique, but know that a big bass in a long struggle has to be handled properly before release, as it will be exhausted
Old 11-17-2018, 08:34 PM

Good info. Thanks, all!
Old 11-17-2018, 11:18 PM

Tough fishing today. Took my son out for his first striper surf experience. Bay Head surf was chocolate as was Mantoloking. Not sure if from the storm, the dredging or both. Decided to try and find clean water north and introduce my son to Sandy Hook. Walked a lot, made a lot of casts and managed one ?micro short? (15?) on a white SP Minnow 3? from the sand. My son was disappointed it wasn?t his fish, but was excited to meet his first striper in person. If he wasn?t hooked before, he is now. Already talking about next weekend.