Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-27-2019, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Summer 2019

I use a 9 foot long eight weight rod between salt water and fresh water. IMHO it is the most versatile unless you fish for trout in freshwater. An eight weight is too heavy for the delicate presentation trout fishing requires. So many bands and price points. there are nice combo outfits available new from the big box sporting goods stores.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:14 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
question for the flyrodders; getting a start set for my nephew in Florida; use mostly in the river....reds and snook etc; may also try for largemouths; what length rod and what reel combo do you suggest; keep the price reasonable...thanks in advance

most likely 9' 8 wt like yd mentioned, though you could probably do 7 wt as well.
TFO makes some great rods, something like this combo is a good example: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tfo-...el-fly-outfits

there are a million options, don't go crazy.

unless you are going for fw trout/panfish, you will want a reel with a real drag, though frankly for me, it's only been a handful of times I've needed the drag, even salmon fishing I got away with a click-and-pawl reel and palmed it (though not recommended.... it was what I had at the time).
Old 08-28-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
question for the flyrodders; getting a start set for my nephew in Florida; use mostly in the river....reds and snook etc; may also try for largemouths; what length rod and what reel combo do you suggest; keep the price reasonable...thanks in advance

Bill, You can do like I did and spend $5 on the rod. (It's a 9' 9w Lamiglas.) New guides, thread and epoxy cost me about $50.

It gets really expensive if you want to put actual line and a reel on it.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Senior Fellow

thanks to all; always depend on this group for help; issue in FLA of course is that easy river fishing can produce a 20 lb fish but I will go with the suggestions
Old 08-28-2019, 09:33 AM

Paid a visit to my usual spots in western LI Sound on kayak yesterday...3 dozen of short fluke with 0 keepers...am I doing something wrong? ...very frustrating day...somehow this fluke fishing season seems to be turning into a bust. Does anybody else feel the same?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
thanks to all; always depend on this group for help; issue in FLA of course is that easy river fishing can produce a 20 lb fish but I will go with the suggestions

so for those, make sure to get a reel with a disc drag, like I said.

Nowadays, you can do a rod and reel under $200, fly lines get more expensive,
BUT guys are experimenting with the cheap ebay $10 lines and liking them.

do a search, but you should be looking at warm water fly lines, which may
limit your options to the major manufacturers (like Rio, for example).

those lines will NOT get sticky when laying on the deck of a boat, out in the river,
while you're trolling or polling around for fish.

When you have the numbers and sizes of fish like you do in FL, think about the long term, IF you know it will be long term
Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Paid a visit to my usual spots in western LI Sound on kayak yesterday...3 dozen of short fluke with 0 keepers...am I doing something wrong? ...very frustrating day...somehow this fluke fishing season seems to be turning into a bust. Does anybody else feel the same?
My experience from the sand is the same. The same reports are coming in from the head boats fishing the Ambrose light area. Many many short fish and a pick at fish over 18 inches. Bayaker has some insight from his sources fishing the deeper water. Hopefully he can expound!
Old 08-29-2019, 06:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
My experience from the sand is the same. The same reports are coming in from the head boats fishing the Ambrose light area. Many many short fish and a pick at fish over 18 inches. Bayaker has some insight from his sources fishing the deeper water. Hopefully he can expound!
It?s not turning bad, it was broke from the beginning. I didn?t put the time in on the sand this year too hot for me in the summer . I did some Fishing off of a boat and had five keepers the whole summer and not very many shorts. Two and three years ago respectively I had 300 and 500 fluke off the beach with only a few keepers each year. This year I really didn?t put in the time not sure what I would have ended up with. A few of my friends have been Fishing the Deepwater out front and getting some good fluke 7-9 pounds but I?m talking 40 feet of water.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:10 AM

Down here was a bust as well, though my brother in law got into some nice doormats when the mullet came in earlier this month, other than than it's been dismal. 50 to 1 ratio not uncommon, with a few folks getting some decent catches here and there if they bump into them. Only thing that might help is just going to the bigger live baits that will keep more shorts off, but once they get to be 17" they have a good sized jaw to hit most baits.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:15 AM
SS/Veteran

Even the spots I've fished out front by the rocks has been crappy this summer..would always find a keeper or 3 by the jettys with double digit shorts...not this year...Although the small bass have been keeping me busy lol..Had another 3 last night up to 24in..missed 1 or 2 all on Kettlecreek paddle tails
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2019, 08:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Out today 4-7, looking for some flat ones on a boat. Wind against the tide is never good. Not a tap. My son, a charter Capt. Referred to this season as The Great Fluke famine of 2019. One thing that I noticed, there are zillions of peanuts in the creek and billions of adult bunker in the bay. Hope the bass find them.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:19 PM

A little something to report today. I went and stood at the end of the jetty by the **** Inlet this afternoon and caught my first bonito and another of the same sort of pelagic fish that I didn't recognize (similar build but with lines of green spots) as well as numerous snapper blues and one small flattie. The flukelette was on a bucktail with a twister. All the rest were on skinny metal.
The west wind was a joy and I could cast a looong way even with my light tackle. I bet it would have been even better if the tide were running out instead of approaching full.
Cheers all!
Old 08-30-2019, 05:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
A little something to report today. I went and stood at the end of the jetty by the **** Inlet this afternoon and caught my first bonito and another of the same sort of pelagic fish that I didn't recognize (similar build but with lines of green spots) as well as numerous snapper blues and one small flattie. The flukelette was on a bucktail with a twister. All the rest were on skinny metal.
The west wind was a joy and I could cast a looong way even with my light tackle. I bet it would have been even better if the tide were running out instead of approaching full.
Cheers all!
Sounds like a good day Joe! WTG! Also sounds like u caught a Spanish Mack by what u described been alot around this summer
Old 08-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Thanks Blaze.
The bonito choked on my lure and ended up dead on the jetty. I gutted it and gave it to a guy on the way out.
All the rest swam home.
I like fishing there even with the challenge of finding a safe position to fish. Next time though, I'm bringing my 10' spinning rod to give me a little more reach and backbone to lift fish up. I can imaging having a real hard time dealing with a larger fish.

I've seen videos in which guys are out on long jetties with huge rocks and booming waves catching chopper blues and stripers of 10, 20 or even 30 pounds. I'll have to go back and watch them again to see how they manage.
For me, a NJ jetty in the sun with a west wind at 10 mph was exciting enough.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:54 PM

Out on the boat this afternoon, got a couple of tog, 1 fat at 14", a couple of seabass, 1 fat at 11", and a fat fat flounder on a mullet, though short at 16.5". Then fed whatever other little creatures loved crab but were too small.

Had one very very good fish on. So heavy I was thinking striper but it didnt run under the pilings just went down. Actually bent my heavy tog rod over. It then came off half way up... so mustve just been barely in the lip. Maybe a big sheepshead because it would have had to be a monster tog. Whatever, I'll never know.