Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-30-2019, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Summer 2019

Nice mixed bag, Rob. No sign of mullet in the north just yet. I was out front yesterday and had a dozen flat ones, all carbon copies of each other, fat and 17 inches All safely still swimming. Sorry for the late report! I was using fresh peanut bunker and the slipfloat rig.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:09 PM

Moco. Outfront 4p-8p Incoming tide. Surf calm and quiet. Four short flat ones on the hammered spoon and casting gear. Some small harbor blues chasing spearing in the surf,
Old 09-01-2019, 04:53 PM

Here is another boring report of my fishing trips to western LI Sound on kayak. Yesterday was breezy with low humidity. Caught small bass, blues, porgies, sea robin and fluke..work hard to get keeper fluke but got about 2 dozen shorts with the largest at 18" (NJ keeper). Porgies were nice up to 16"...it was a crazy porgy bite late on outgoing tide...1/4"oz jig with pink fishbites was all what you needed
Old 09-01-2019, 10:09 PM

Moco Outfront East wind on an incoming tide. Did some Jetty jumping. All I could manage was a 16 inch fluke that quick released himself on his way out of the water. Buck tail was necessary with a strong rip tide southward as the tide rose. Plenty of white water. I observed the rescue effort for the missing teenager. Prayers for the family. Soon after a jet skier decided to test his skill jumping the waves at the shark river inlet. His geographic skills were off a tad and he landed on the south extension of south side of the inlet Jetty.
I saw enough and called it a day.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:10 PM

Does anyone know what the status of the signs protecting the Piping Plover beach access to the Hook? They should be about to be pulled soon.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:30 PM

Access to the False Hook via the Fisherman's Trail is open.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:34 PM

Moco. Outfront Dawn patrol. There was a SE wind and waist high swell with a shore break. Surf was moving North to South with plenty of white water. I was using casting gear and a slip float armed with live killies. Twenty plus flat ones before the thunder and rain drove me off the sand. One at 19 inches. Most were below 16 inches.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:20 PM

I was at my station on the end of the **** Inlet jetty for the change of the tide at about 12:45 today. There were predators starting up on the clouds of rainfish from just after I started and they went to town as the outgoing gained velocity. It looked wild as gangs of Spanish macks, Bonita and Blues tore things up. They didn't seem to mind the heavy boat traffic much at all. The boat guys must have spread word through the grapevine because they went from one boat having a great time when I got there to a few dozen within a half mile of the inlet when I left. I finished up with a couple Spanish and a couple Bonita in my cooler and threw back a dozen more and at least 7 or 8 cocktail Blues. The Blues were really bad biting off my metal just above the clip. It happened to me 4 or 5 times.
What do you think of trying a Sabiki rig on the Spanish? They were certainly more keyed to the tiny rainfish sized baits in the water than to my 3/4 oz metal. I also thought I might try my egg float with a green/shiny surf candy behind it. Suggestions?
Old 09-03-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teunis1 View Post
Access to the False Hook via the Fisherman's Trail is open.
Thank you!
Old 09-04-2019, 09:51 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I was at my station on the end of the **** Inlet jetty for the change of the tide at about 12:45 today. There were predators starting up on the clouds of rainfish from just after I started and they went to town as the outgoing gained velocity. It looked wild as gangs of Spanish macks, Bonita and Blues tore things up. They didn't seem to mind the heavy boat traffic much at all. The boat guys must have spread word through the grapevine because they went from one boat having a great time when I got there to a few dozen within a half mile of the inlet when I left. I finished up with a couple Spanish and a couple Bonita in my cooler and threw back a dozen more and at least 7 or 8 cocktail Blues. The Blues were really bad biting off my metal just above the clip. It happened to me 4 or 5 times.
What do you think of trying a Sabiki rig on the Spanish? They were certainly more keyed to the tiny rainfish sized baits in the water than to my 3/4 oz metal. I also thought I might try my egg float with a green/shiny surf candy behind it. Suggestions?

problem with sabiki's is usually the lb-test being too light. (edit: and add that a multi hook rig, when "successful", could result in multiple hookups)

trying small surf candies on your own "sabiki style" rig would be better.

bayyaker can tie some up for you (maybe )
Old 09-04-2019, 10:53 AM

I've got a bunch. Maybe I'll try that today.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Joe, I caught a few doubles of Spanish Macs on a plug with a teaser down south. I wondered what a small (smaller than mine for stripers) high low rig would do for them. Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:53 AM

I tried yesterday from just after 1:00 until I left in disgust at about 3:45.
South winds at 15 to 25 mph had the shore churned into vanilla milk. I could see fish slashing through bait in the clear water just out of casting distance.
Another day...
Old 09-05-2019, 07:25 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
problem with sabiki's is usually the lb-test being too light. (edit: and add that a multi hook rig, when "successful", could result in multiple hookups)

trying small surf candies on your own "sabiki style" rig would be better.

bayyaker can tie some up for you (maybe )
They might like this.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Well done!