Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > OBX and the Carolinas

OBX and the Carolinas The Outer Banks and all places North and South

Old 01-27-2006, 09:15 AM

Default Oregon Inlet

Check out www.oregon-inlet.com

They've been taking the bigs for the last 2 months mostly north of the inlet in the Corolla area.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:40 PM

Thumbs down Re: Oregon Inlet

And A LOT of them. Great news, I guess those fish won't be coming back north to us next spring.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Oregon Inlet

(If anyone is still interested in this thread).

I think it is a shame and should be a crime. Theses (big) stripers winter in 3 major areas, one of them is off the coast of North Carolina. The fish school up and then stage, that is they lay doormant, feeding occasionaly. The recreational party boats, hit these fish very hard in the winter.
Though the striperman in me says I would want to do it too, the striper conservative in me says, let 'em lie. I don't think shooting fish in a barrell is really fishing anyway, and this is similar to that.
Just my 2.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:40 PM
SS/Veteran

Stripers in a dormant state off of OBX?

I've had some of the best fights from stripers in January and February off the beach at the OBX.

The last few years, this year excluded, have seen the bulk of these migrators below Hatteras Inlet, from Ocracoke Inlet to Cape Lookout. I can personally vouch for extremely active humongous schools of stripers feeding on bunker schools in these areas last January and February.

This year I'm sure that many boat captains can vouch for the presence of huge #'s of feeding stripers off of the northern OBX's but they have been more than three miles out mostly.

I think the "myth" of large schools of stripers stacking and becoming dormant off of the northern Outer Banks has been proven to be just that. When the water temp off of these shores goes under say 40-45 degrees, the fish just move south to the shoals off of Cape Point all the way down to the Cape Loookout shoals.

Doug
Old 02-19-2006, 04:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Doug,
You very well could be right about the fish feeding throughout the cold months and staying in water warm enough to keep them active. I have done a fair amount of reseach on the behavioral norms of wintering stripers and a lot of what I mention is based on that (scientific research), but...I have heard first and second hand that these fish do school and stage in a semi-doormant state and are fairly easy to catch this way, BUT also I understand that stripers constantly change their habits and they adapt to ever changing enviornmental changes, which would lead to them being such a resilient fish. So, what you say, could very well be true, and new information to me. Long live the striper.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:23 AM
SS/Veteran

Smile Re: Oregon Inlet

Bassin13, I do think that these fish do stage at the mouth of the Chesapeake in March when we have an extremely cold winter. They are waiting for the gate (water temp above 45?) to the bay to open. If you correlate spawning #'s to bay water temps in Feb. and March, you'll notice the extremely cold winters have the highest figure.

I believe that is due to a higher # of fish spawning at about the same time (late April to early May). On a warm winter, bass tend to wander into the bay instead of stacking which results in many small spawns with less fish participating in the "major spawn".

I can tell you that I've had the most success at the OBX fishing near the water temp line that separates over 50 degree water from the 40 degree water. Most years this line occurs perpendicular to the beach somewhere along the beach between Hatteras and below Ocracoke.

The best fighting striper I ever caught was on President's Day back in 2002 on Hatteras beach right below the water temp break. That fish took off like I had a huge shark on. It made it past the last bar (probably 4 bars at the spot I was fishing) and made a big splash. It made 4 more runs back over that bar each time I got it inside. Once I had it in the breakers, it made another big run and several small ones befor I landed that 37", 34 LB.
squidhound. It still gives me goosebumps today as I write about it .

Doug
Old 02-21-2006, 10:27 AM
SS/Veteran

Everything you have said here about the staging stripers, the water temps, the cold winters bearing better spawning years, is all proven and documented.

The Chesapeake is another of the three major spawning areas of the striped bass. The third being the Hudson River which holds a slightly different strain of bass.
The thing you said about water temps is true and once the water temps get up into the mid-40's the fish will begin to move up into the rivers to spawn. That is why I think it is a crime for the rec charter fleet to target these, soon-to-spawn bass.
Each big bass, upper 30's to whatever...??? (cow-sized) is capable of laying a couple million eggs easy, and that is only if they are spawning that year. Big bass only spawn every 3-5 years. Why catch or stress these fish? I feel the same way about the Susquhana Flats. Yeah it's C&R but still...why stress pre-spawning bass???

The thing about the fish you caught down yonder, is very cool. Where exactly did you get it? I fish down there every year between Christmas and New Years. I love it down there. I got a fish a few year back out of Hatteras Inlet (good spot). It is always different down there than it is anywhere else.

I have had the honor of beaching some big fish so I know what you mean about the goosebumps and residual high that follows...you just can't beat it if you are a surf hound.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Bassin13, when I caught that fish, the end of the island was 3 times as big as it was last December. The year I caught that fish, I started at the end of the 2 lane road (false point, gone now) but it was so shallow and the tide was going out so I moved to the north to where the beach got steep. It was probabnly half way up that beach towards ramp 55 from what used to be FP.

Doug

PS- Weather conditions that day were tough. We waited in line for the ferry, actually had the truck almost on the ferry when I got bumped by a commercial truck. I was going to wait an hour but my son expressed much dismay about getting on that ferry as there were 25 to 35 knot winds blowing from the Northwest. That was the big reason we headed South of the Point since it was really the only area that was fishable that day because of the wind.