Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Default shorts only because why?

Frank, These days I think I'm such an ace cause every time I fish a get a few they are 90% of the time shorts... last few days the smallest rats.... Today it occured to me like a bolt of lightening, perhaps I am doing something wrong. bucktail reeled too fast?
Wrong lures?
Clams were all over the beach so got to switch to bait?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: shorts only because why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelieb View Post
Frank, These days I think I'm such an ace cause every time I fish a get a few they are 90% of the time shorts... last few days the smallest rats.... Today it occured to me like a bolt of lightening, perhaps I am doing something wrong. bucktail reeled too fast?
Wrong lures?
Clams were all over the beach so got to switch to bait?

(MY gear is soaking wet from walking too far out and getting my waders filled/ drenched.... so I'm skipped this morn - so far... ( the extra dry clothes gear bag was a gods send)

got more on the short issue.
If the shorts are there are the cows lurking as well?
Is it all about presentation? Speed?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Not sure, that is an old problem. I would say, without actually being there, that is all that is around. Big bass are not all that smart so I don't think it a case of anything you are doing wrong. This time of year the shorts are the last to migrate. I would blame you if you were hooking and breaking off fish, but that is apparently not the case. My take is that the really large leave first.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Sheeeeeet!!!!! Does that mean it is over here.... or is another wave of Migration due to arrive? It has been warm. The water is warm. We have not seen bunker. ( or at least I have not)
Is it over in RI?

I guess I can clean my truck.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM
SS/Veteran

I don't know much, but from my limited experience it does seem like the larger fish move out first. What always happened to me was I would sense the season coming to a close and get a burst of energy and put in a lot of time right at the end of the season. But really it is better to spend that energy earlier when there are more fish around.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
I don't know much, but from my limited experience it does seem like the larger fish move out first. What always happened to me was I would sense the season coming to a close and get a burst of energy and put in a lot of time right at the end of the season. But really it is better to spend that energy earlier when there are more fish around.
I agree. i don't remember ever getting a 40+pounder in November.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Allot of small bass is a sign of the end of the season. We are not talking small bass by Oct. standards ( 8 lbs.)..Plenty of like 14 inch bass..

There is a possibilty of a large bass now off N.Y...but they always seem to be with the herring. Possible.. definitely not probable.

All small bass is the fat lady singing.. A early accumulation of snow is ..lights back on..the show is over. Unless, in very close proximity to N.Y. Harbor..Even after snow fishing can be quite good. 99% school bass.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:37 PM
SS/Veteran

I thought Nov was the time... but... if yo say so, I believe 100%.
I missed the early part of the season an injury prohibited me from even driving....

but here is a NY thing to ponder.... The water is warm still. Real warm.
That has to be good? Mabe no 40 lber but I wold love a 30" fish
Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
I thought Nov was the time... but... if yo say so, I believe 100%.
I missed the early part of the season an injury prohibited me from even driving....

but here is a NY thing to ponder.... The water is warm still. Real warm.
That has to be good? Mabe no 40 lber but I wold love a 30" fish
I wouldn't give up yet. Some of my best striper fishing has been in mid Dec here in Jersey, just about 50 miles from LI. My son works part time on a head boat out of Pt Pleasant, and a few days ago they limited out with 30-35 people on board in just a couple hours. The keepers were in the 30-36 inch range, caught not too far off the beach. There were also plenty of shorts mixed in.
Sadly, I haven't fished too much the past couple weeks, so dont know first hand whats happening. Guys I work with have been doing well, and the B&T I use have reported decent fish being caught from the beach. If you can stand the colder temps (many can't), I would keep at it. I have caught stripers into mid Jan, but they were REAL small. When you feel them trying to hit the plug, and they finally hit the teaser and you land a 12 or 13 incher, thats when I give up...
Old 11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
SS/Veteran

well Mr Rags-hope you are ok and did not eat too much turkey

- We are on stand by.... we wait- the wind is down the tide is coming in and when darkness falls...so will the tide....and we try again....

The hunt continues....
I'll keep ya posted...

tight lines and stay away from that spam
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
well Mr Rags-hope you are ok and did not eat too much turkey

- We are on stand by.... we wait- the wind is down the tide is coming in and when darkness falls...so will the tide....and we try again....

The hunt continues....
I'll keep ya posted...

tight lines and stay away from that spam
Nah, nothing serious, just work related... Hoping to get out of work a little early in the AM, catch the beginning of the outgoing and sunrise, and maybe get something. Wind supposed to be W at about 10, tide looks good, I just hope the stripers think so also....