Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:52 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Book Issues and Book News

Frank, having never been in the business, it’s still confusing: you wrote you received a couple of small royalty checks. How do they determine large or small royalties before a book is sold? I’m clearly mis-reading what you wrote above.

I do understand the notion of ratios and that the big money is selling the actual book...that’s not confusing. It’s the timing and determination of the amount of the royalty check which doesn’t quite make sense to me.

Not a big deal, but we are just passing time nowadays
Old 03-27-2020, 02:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Frank, having never been in the business, it?s still confusing: you wrote you received a couple of small royalty checks. How do they determine large or small royalties before a book is sold? I?m clearly mis-reading what you wrote above.

I do understand the notion of ratios and that the big money is selling the actual book...that?s not confusing. It?s the timing and determination of the amount of the royalty check which doesn?t quite make sense to me.

Not a big deal, but we are just passing time nowadays
The check is based upon book sales. If a book pays $1.00 royalty per book and ten books are sold during that six months period I get $10 bucks. Of course when a title first comes out there is a rush of sales that can number in the thousands. Sales determine the royalty. And those sales depend upon effective distribution, which is inspired by reviews, author background, how well known the author is to readers, subject choice, quality of the writing. Many new budding writers don't understand that if they are unknown not many sales are going to come in. Sure, being an author is a trip first time around but that dries up fast. If you write a dog that is a lot of work for a piddling return. All my titles were worth writing and paid well but the trend in sales has been downward. I stopped doing books for a number of reasons: the money is no longer there; my standard has risen with you might say a higher standard for what I think is financial success. Article writing is less complicated, less of a commitment. You put in a couple of hours, get your money, don't have to peddle the work, then move on to another story.

The real dough is in investing, the market, and watching the business world -- another story. Back when I had all my marbles I was able to parlay seminar, sales and my well known background into an income. Not all that much but when combined with a smallish pension from teaching, I could afford to live well, go fishing and hunting all over. I also had a wife, whose education I paid for 60 years earlier, hauling on the tow rope with her teaching job.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:16 PM
SS/Veteran

This would be a bad time to write a striper book. Striper numbers are down and the species is again more heavily regulated. I say again because periodically stripers will have sets of off years where they are less available. Interest in stripers is reduced and I assume because of that book sales would be down. Face it sport fishermen are not book reading types in the first place. I don't see myself ever writing another book because it is too much work for too small a return. Of course personally I have evolved into a more demanding frame of mind.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:19 PM
SS/Veteran

I have a library full of striper books which I am rereading and enjoying just as much as the first time. Over the years I have gotten a lot of review copies, some of which I contributed to. Don't bother to buy it but I have really enjoyed Twenty Years on the Cape. Written over 30 years ago, I can't believe that I wrote it.

I am planning to read John Cole very soon.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I have a library full of striper books which I am rereading and enjoying just as much as the first time. Over the years I have gotten a lot of review copies, some of which I contributed to. Don't bother to buy it but I have really enjoyed Twenty Years on the Cape. Written over 30 years ago, I can't believe that I wrote it. ...
Just DON?T tell me yuz learned something new in the process....

I have a 2008 book by Al Fishtori sitting next to me as I type. Not the same caliber as Cole, I would think. A lot of good photos (albeit all daytime) of my old stomping grounds. I did find 3 photos in there at night, all of Alberto Knie.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Ristori and l go back a long ways and he is highly qualified both as an angler and writer. I never Met Alberto but he contributes regularly on Surfcasters Journal. I don't think he has fished much up here in New England; he is more a middle Atlantic guy.

I don't read to learn something new. Rather, I examine my own writing to access what I could have done better. For instance, character development opportunities which I missed. Early years writing I was not as conscious of some of the literary tools that enhance a story. Good writing is not just about teaching fishing. It is a lot of things which are blended into the prose. In the telling of a story you can just say it or you can give it life. While you are teaching the same thing, if you can make it a more pleasurable read the reader is served better. And remember that if the editor, who is the reader's agent, likes your stuff he will buy more of your material. Woolner mentored me years ago and he taught me a lot and smoozing the editor with good material is a big thing.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:53 AM

No doubt about Al's accomplishments or writing.

I jokingly refer to him as Fishstori as part of his notoriety was via weekly reports to various publications. These reports, as most did, always came out on a Thursday or Friday with (seemingly) the sole purpose of horsing up everyone to rush to tackle shops. A more seasoned eye just looks at them as signs of action, I suppose, but in my younger days, chasing reports seemed the thing to do.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Reader surveys indicate that reports are very popular with readers. People read the reports in the Fisherman first, the articles. of ever, later. I have been writing for 50 years and reading reports for 60.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:14 PM

They may be popular, and I know that in the Fisherman, there are shops I'm familiar with that put out real info. Obviously it can't be too current, due to the publication cycle. And any report is like that, unless you're standing in the water when it happens.

But back in the day, the reports in the local papers were more wishful thinking than actual reports.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:27 PM
SS/Veteran

No doubt some reports are inflated to get people out buying bait and tackle. In downhill skiing snow reports tend to be over blown -- "12-14 inches of packed powder" when it is sheer ice! But Rob, we all know that when we see it.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
No doubt some reports are inflated to get people out buying bait and tackle. In downhill skiing snow reports tend to be over blown -- "12-14 inches of packed powder" when it is sheer ice! But Rob, we all know that when we see it.
No Frank, official ski area reports refer to ice as "frozen granular". It's something like what you put in your Scotch, but doesn't taste as good when you do a "face plant" into it!
Old 04-29-2020, 02:47 PM
SS/Veteran

I so enjoyed your post. Wouldn't bogus ski or fishing reports qualify as "Fake News". Who says that? Seems I heard that somewhere.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I so enjoyed your post. Wouldn't bogus ski or fishing reports qualify as "Fake News". Who says that? Seems I heard that somewhere.
Being a writer, Frank, I'd think you'd refer to those as "taking artistic license".
Old 04-30-2020, 02:47 PM
SS/Veteran

The most destructive thing a writer can do is BS the reader. Right now journalism is ruining themselves with fake news. Today the readers out there have become too sophisticated to accept the politically inspired news stories which are not only largely false but soil the reputation of journalism. I see it every time I have any exposure to friends. For instance, why would the middle class neighborhood I live in not subscribe to a single local newspaper? Don't tell me people get their newspaper stuff on line; sure, there is some of that but that hardly accounts for the universal rejection of press source material. Newspapers are dyeing and the reason for that is that people no longer believe what they read. I predicted early February that the press would soon begin blaming Trump for the corona 19 virus. It took them a little longer than I predicted but they have started doing it.

Don't get me wrong, like you, I am often glad my daughter never came home with a Trumpkin. But he is a lot better President than some of the ding-dongs who he defeated and will outlast those against him in the next election. Take Nancy Palosi (sp) who uses her eyes for emphasis. There is a piece of work.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:16 AM

Yeah, I put those old fishing reports and ski reports in the same bucket

Adjust it by locale, as well. In the Poconos, “packed powder”, means the same as “frozen granular” from the Northern areas...