Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:48 PM

Greetings from the Big Apple Frank,

Well, it's my sophomore season in the suds and I must say I "feel" more confident. Last year was filled with lesson after lesson (yes, you were the teacher at times). Everything from proper gear to proper retrieves.

Well, this is my "Year of Applying what I Learned" and it's starting off on the right foot. I went to one of my spring spots with my brand new "Penn Staal" spinning outfit and my convench paired with a newell 229.

Well, a long story short, one hit, one fish, no errors. A skinny 30" runt committed suicide on a frozen piece of bunker. I haven't thrown any plugs yet as we're starting to see bunker down here and I'm focusing on what they're feeding on.

Not a cow by any means, but it felt good to feel "confident" in what I was doing. So I just wanted to say, "Happy Spring" and "Thank You" for putting up with me last year.

For those who frequent the internet fishing boards, you only get what you put into it. I might have been the fool last year asking every rookie question under the sun, but I got so much out of it that it was well worth feeling foolish for a while.

Thanks again Frank and have a great season.

Vince

PS: Penn Staal: def'n: Drilled out 706z which makes it look and function (to a degree) like a VS. Yes Frank, I even did it myself.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:48 PM

Well, it's my sophomore season in the suds and I must say I "feel" more confident. Last year was filled with lesson after lesson (yes, you were the teacher at times). Everything from proper gear to proper retrieves.

Well, this is my "Year of Applying what I Learned" and it's starting off on the right foot. I went to one of my spring spots with my brand new "Penn Staal" spinning outfit and my convench paired with a newell 229.

Well, a long story short, one hit, one fish, no errors. A skinny 30" runt committed suicide on a frozen piece of bunker. I haven't thrown any plugs yet as we're starting to see bunker down here and I'm focusing on what they're feeding on.

Not a cow by any means, but it felt good to feel "confident" in what I was doing. So I just wanted to say, "Happy Spring" and "Thank You" for putting up with me last year.

For those who frequent the internet fishing boards, you only get what you put into it. I might have been the fool last year asking every rookie question under the sun, but I got so much out of it that it was well worth feeling foolish for a while.

Thanks again Frank and have a great season.

Vince

PS: Penn Staal: def'n: Drilled out 706z which makes it look and function (to a degree) like a VS. Yes Frank, I even did it myself.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by addict:

Well, a long story short, one hit, one fish, no errors.

There are many in their 2nd year who wish they did as well. Congrats!

Walt
Old 04-21-2004, 02:27 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Years ago we used to hear about surfcasters who fished for half a lifetime before they got their first striper. I doubt that would happen today. Still, anything you have for the first time you will always remember.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:41 PM

Walt,

Thanks for the compliment. I initially did not respond because I was waiting for Frank to remind you of the protocol. But then again, perhaps you're exempt? Or perhaps the protocol has changed over the winter? Well, whatever the case is, thanks for the compliment.

How are you Frank? I hope you had a great winter. Yes, this first bass of 2004 I won't forget easily. I don't know if you remember my newbie questions last year, but I remember I was hating myself for asking soooo many 'em.

What I am so psyched about is the "confidence" factor. I remember plenty of times when I just didn't know what the #@!# to do. What knots to use. What gear to buy. Etc... But I guess this is just another instance of finally reaping the rewards of "putting in your time".

Thanks again Frank and be ready this year for my "sophomore" questions.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:43 AM

Take it easy, Addict, you still a googan. One roll in the hay does not make you Gary Cooper.

You not Al Bentson yet. Your going to have to put in a few thousand nights and make a lot of mistakes before you hold a book signing. But, I suppose, it is, is a start

People don't read the protocols do so at thier own embarrassment.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:44 PM

Addict, embrace the googanness... be one with it... works for me Besides, it takes a little pressure off not thinking dammit I need to catch everytime I go out... It let's you enjoy, relax, and learn all at the same time
Old 04-22-2004, 03:30 PM

quote:
One roll in the hay does not make you Gary Cooper.

Yer killing me Frank. LOL I look forward to another season of your wit and wisdom.

MM, I'm on a mission this year.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:10 PM

Thanks Addict. I miss being able to charm the girls so I have to practice on googans, which, in a way, are a lot like girls. They believe you because they want to believe you.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:25 PM

hey guys...i'm one of those new fisherman you were talking about i guess...i've been bass fishing for about 2 years now..19 years old..and i have not landed a keeper yet...3 shorts to be exact...i read the forms and do everytying right(i assume) people next to me do the same thing and yet the fish ends up on their line not mine. It's depressing...I use the same rigs, fish the same places where people pull up fish....any pointers out there so i can land my first keeper....Tonight i'm going to go out about 10 to catch the incomming tide...yet another trip...with me luck
Old 04-22-2004, 10:58 PM

Cb,

Funny you should say that. Last year I went through something very similar to you. Fished same place, time, rigs, etc as a friend of mine and all the fish seemed to end up on his line.

This is what I think now a year later.

I wasn't fishing the exact same spot.
My bait was on the down current side of the area. The fish saw his offering first and hit him before they had a chance to see mine. Also, my casts didn't land where it needed to be. Perhaps I was missing my target 20 feet to my right, left, or further out. My friend who has fished that spot for years knows exactly where the holes, cuts, or rips are.

This is but only two factors of why sometimes fishing the same location, tide, and time gives different results. (Another could be freshness of bait).

Gear: Sometimes gear makes a difference if you're not experienced. For example, I used a squidder with a clicker in quiet bays. Many times when I had a run-off, by the time I could set up on it, the fish would feel the clicker and drop it (or that's what I think). In contrast, my friend used a spinning baitrunner.

I'd like to ask you a question now.

Did you find you didn't get enough hits or did you have hits but few hook ups?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:46 PM

it's all about mojo. my dad had it, I watched that man walk into a crowd of people catching a skunk and pick up fish after fish. I've seen him sling eels in an estuary in the middle of august in the middle of the day and catch a cow. some people have it and some don't. some people WORK FOR IT and some don't.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:44 AM

i don't get hits...i think your right everytying you said sounds logical...i fished tonight...walking in there were a few guys with 4-5 bass on the ground.....my eyes lit up and i thought it could be the night haha...but noone hit after i showed up...used bunker chunks and clams...also snagged 2 live bunker and livelined for a while but no hits
Old 04-23-2004, 08:28 AM

Sometimes the simplist thing screws you up. A wire leader, too big a hook, casting too far, not watching the line, soft mouthing hits. Just guessing because I am not there.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:14 PM

I don't know...about ten years ago, I really thought I knew what I was doing. Then I met people who actually did know what they were doing, and it turned out that I really didn't know diddly squat. Been schooling myself ever since, and sometimes I think it's working, sometimes not. Sometimes I think all I've learned is how to better appreciate what a total fool I made out of myself, for the amusement of people who actually knew how to fish.

Now, I take what I learn from asking questions and reading books (like "The Trophy Striper"-- pssst, Frank: there, I said it...can I have my bottle back now?) and I go out there and try to apply this stuff. But yet and still, in my heart, even when I get fish I can't help but think that it's a case of even the blind squirrel finding an acorn now and then.