Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:03 AM
SS/Insider

Default NJ sues Sea Bright

The following article was published in the Courier-Post newspaper in Camden County, NJ dated Sunday, September 24, 2006:

The state filed suit Friday against the Borough of Sea Bright and nine private beach clubs there seeking unrestricted public access to beaches in front of the clubs.

In the lawsuit, filed in state Superior Court in Monmouth County, the state argues that the private beach clubs have profited by charging fees for use of beaches in Sea Bright that have been built and maintained through publicly funded beach replenishment and beach nourishment projects costing some $29 million since 1995.

The beaches are resources that belong to the people of the state, and "we will continue to take whatever action is necessary to protect the people's right to access these natural resources and enjoy them," Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Lisa P. Jackson said in a statement released late Friday afternoon.

Under New Jersey law, the area from the water line to high tide is considered public, said Jeff Tittel, president of Sierra Club's New Jersey chapter.

"They received public money for improvements to the beaches but don't allow public access. That's pretty despicable," Tittel said.

"They want our money but they don't want us."

A call to Sea Bright Mayor Joann Kalaka-Adams was referred to the borough attornery, who did not immediately return the call Friday evening.

Calls to several of the nine beach clubs were also not immediately returned.

The lawsuit also seeks records of all beach fees Sea Bright has collected since 1992. The state alleges that Sea Bright kept $17.7 million in beach fees in 2004 that was never used as required by law for maintaining beaches and providing services related to beach maintenance.

The municipality charges a daily beach access fee of $7 and a seasonal fee of $95.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Re: NJ sues Sea Bright

I read the same article in the Asbury Park Press. Should be intersting to see how it plays out. I'll bet the towns on LBI are paying close attention to this..
Old 09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
SS/Veteran

I heartily applaud this lawsuit. Time to send a message to stop foolishly building beaches on the public dime and keeping them private. Same for seawalls built with tax dollars that are then lined with no access signs.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:21 PM

those no access signs are posted on "private" stairs/sitting areas that are built on private property. that irks me to no end too.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:42 PM

Its a scam! Just greasing us for the next beach replenishment.If you cant park anywhere what difference does it make??? NOTHING will change,trust me theres to much money involved.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Thumbs up Re: NJ sues Sea Bright

I read about this in the Star Ledger. While I applaud the state for taking action my immediate thoughts were, "Now let's see how many public parking spaces disappear next year."

Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

monmouth beach is as bad as sea bright in my opinion.

I think the worst situation is the lack of access to the rivers (shrewsbury and navesink), not the ocean.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico
I read about this in the Star Ledger. While I applaud the state for taking action my immediate thoughts were, "Now let's see how many public parking spaces disappear next year."
I dont fish up that way much since my son left the Hook. But, everytime I have driven through there the same thing crosses my mind. The occasional place where there is public access, there is no parking. Where the "No Tresspassing" signs are, there is plenty. I bet thats not going to be addressed in the suit...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:25 AM

The State should also go after all the A-holes who built stairs and decks on public property (the sea wall) and locked the access gates and put up no trespassing signs. What gives them the right to build a permanent structure on public property? They should also go after the guy in Elberon who erected the steel gate across the paper street leading to the ocean at ffice:smarttags" />Park Avenue. fficeffice" />

Also, since the beach replenishment project was paid with public funds, the public should have access to the area that was replenished not just up to the high tide line. While we’re on that subject, what determines the mean high tide line? According to the State, it is from satellite photos from over ten years ago. At least that is the case when you apply for a permit to build a bulkhead in the ShrewsburryRiver. If we follow the States president on the Shrewburry, than the high tide line in Sea Bright should be the East side of the sea wall!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:51 AM
SS/Veteran

I dont understand how they can build stairs on public property, or at least state property.

I am correct in assuming that this is analagous with building my own swingset in a public playground and restricting access? If so who let them build there in the first place?

I can understand us not being allowed on private edifices, but how did said edifices get there in the first place? In other words, I dont mind not being able to use those stairs and having to walk around and hike to the spots I want to be at, but why shouldnt the homeowners have the same burden? And if access is such a burden to have the homeowners be allowed to erect staris, shouldnt the public be allowed to use them too? They access public beaches.

I see the solution as tearing down all private stairs and constructing public stairs. I am crazy?

I have never had a desire to fish there, but if I ever do, I am using any set of stairs I see fit. If the homeowner comes out and confronts me so be it. Show me your the title of your property that shows the seawall included and I will leave. If not I am going over or through the property owner.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

a lengthy read of the session on access to sea bright/monmouth beach after beach replenishment may be found at:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=5

actually do a google search for "sea bright" "seawall" "stairs" "history" will yield some other interesting links on the subject.

I really think monmouth beach is worse than sea bright, although where there's a will, there's a way
Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 PM

ROBS that was a very informative post. This portion explains a lot:

So people will understand how all these private staircases have
sprung up, the people who live on the nonocean side of Ocean Avenue actually
own that land that the wall is on, right up to a certain point of the beach.
ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER HALL: The seawall is on, as a
result of an easement -- across what is private property. Those property owners
still have the right to construct their own stairs on their own property.
However, they are not supposed to block the linear walk along the top of the
seawall.

This is why you see an opening on the North and South side of all of the stairs.
Open mouth, insert foot, chew vigorously.