Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Deer Hunting Catch-All Questions?

Maine meals on wheels
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

LMAO! Too much, Tony.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:07 PM

I remember that gloves deal. No, today we just throw them out. It is more stinky trouble than it is worth. Even the tails are more than we can use for fly tying. Good point.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM

They are buying hides for about 6-7 dollars here in NY. Not much to retire on, but better than nothing I guess.

We had a good opening week here in NY. Even had a couple of days of snow. I had a decent buck chasing a doe around my stand at 10:00am on opening morning. I guess he hadn't figured out that the season was open yet.

I found a real nice ten pointer that someone had shot but not recovered. Too bad to waste such a nice deer. He was shot through the brisket. A main frame 8 point with kicker points on both G2 tines. 19" inside spread.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 PM

You can find a dead deer on the side of a highway from time to time. They often get hit and run off into the woods. Roadkill figures do not even come close to the true number of raodkills. Actually, all the numbers -- hunting, roadkills, other -- are a joke. In my area reports are required but they are not followed.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:00 PM

I agree. They/we have no idea what the actual deer harvest/kill is.

In NY the DEC uses butcher shop figures to help determine the harvest. However, everyone I know butchers their own deer.

In NY you call in your harvest to a toll free phone number. Most people try it once and give up due to the dificulty of dealing with an automated system.

I won't complain as long as the let me keep hunting.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 PM

Division incompetence is out of control. They just want to get their years in and do this year what they did last year because that is what they did last year. With gas at today's prices, they expect you to drive 50 miles round trip to check in a deer. How green!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 PM
SS/Veteran

I tripped on this while working on something else. Very entertaining and I highly recommend it. Go to the beginning and work your way through.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:21 PM
SS/Veteran

People are seeing fawns all over. Now, at two months old, they are out roving with their mothers. Spots will be gone late September. hunting season we never see the fawns. What you do see is yearlings, 18 moths old, which make up the majority of kills.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:35 PM
SS/Veteran

I just read the whole thread...but being a non hunter (but not opposed to it), I have questions:
My daughter was asking me about a deer head mounted on a wall of an Adirondack camp we were in last weekend...she wondered if it was a large one. I wasn't sure, even though I've seen many deer along roadways. The deer had 5 or 6 tines (points?) on either side of the rack. Then I started wondering how often deer shed and regrow their antlers, and at what age they first start to develop them. Help me out here Oh Great Buck Whisperer(s)!
Old 08-23-2019, 03:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Bucks only shed and regrow their antlers each year. Difference between horns and antlers is that horns are permanent and antlers are shed. usually, but not necessarily, the symatry of the antlers is such that the same number of points is on each side. So if you see four points it is an 8-point buck, which is a good rack. A real trophy is a 10-point but kind of rare. I have shot close to 100 deer and never got anything more than an 8-point; my wife once got a 9-point. Poorly developed racks could be as poor as a "spike horn" which is a point on each side which would be an 18 month male.

Many states give a Trophy Deer Patch for a deer, always a male, over 200 pounds dressed, which I got from New Hampshire. I wear my patch proudly on my camo hunting Jacket. I also got a 202 in little Rhode Island more recently. We once met a guy at the check-in station that was weighing in a 256 dressed. Monster!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:57 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Bucks only shed and regrow their antlers each year. Difference between horns and antlers is that horns are permanent and antlers are shed. usually, but not necessarily, the symatry of the antlers is such that the same number of points is on each side. So if you see four points it is an 8-point buck, which is a good rack. A real trophy is a 10-point but kind of rare. I have shot close to 100 deer and never got anything more than an 8-point; my wife once got a 9-point. Poorly developed racks could be as poor as a "spike horn" which is a point on each side which would be an 18 month male.

Many states give a Trophy Deer Patch for a deer, always a male, over 200 pounds dressed, which I got from New Hampshire. I wear my patch proudly on my camo hunting Jacket. I also got a 202 in little Rhode Island more recently. We once met a guy at the check-in station that was weighing in a 256 dressed. Monster!
Nice! ...and thank you!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Here's is an odd creature.
Attached Images

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-15-2019, 08:03 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Very true Jess.
Been put on full alert many a time by a squirrel.
Once had one coming down the tree I was sitting in almost jump on my head.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Chipmonks are even funnier. Once they figure you out, they scold.