Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:33 PM

Default Montauk On My Right

Frank, I have and have scanned the article in SWS june 1970 including the two missing pages. Let me know if you want me to send them.

Love the old magazines and articles! Is there a list somewhere of the articles you did for SWS back in the day?

Steve T
Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Montauk On My Right

SWS should have such a list but they don't know Frank Daignault because when he sends the editor of SWS an inquiry about a suggested story, the editor does not respond. I really believe in my heart of hearts two things: That Frank Woolner has to be turning over in his grave; secondly, I think staff there,well, never mind because saying what I am thinking would degrade me!

I have a copy of everything that I ever sold to SWS. Montauk was printed first but it was bought second, after "Block Island Safari" both published in 1970. Its time for cocktails but I can do some of the list tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Frank all the magazines have changed, and not for the better. We caught them , along with a lot of other stuff bass fishing included, in the golden age.

I'd love to read "Block Island Safari"; I'll look for it.

Steve T
Old 03-16-2015, 05:24 PM

I too would kill for a chance to read some of those articles.
Any chance you could put a few more up in the articles section?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
SWS should have such a list but they don't know Frank Daignault because when he sends the editor of SWS an inquiry about a suggested story, the editor does not respond. I really believe in my heart of hearts two things: That Frank Woolner has to be turning over in his grave; secondly, I think staff there,well, never mind because saying what I am thinking would degrade me!

I have a copy of everything that I ever sold to SWS. Montauk was printed first but it was bought second, after "Block Island Safari" both published in 1970. Its time for cocktails but I can do some of the list tomorrow.

A man's got to have his priorities !
Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
Frank, I have and have scanned the article in SWS june 1970 including the two missing pages. Let me know if you want me to send them.

Love the old magazines and articles! Is there a list somewhere of the articles you did for SWS back in the day?

Steve T
I have all the old articles in my archives. Here is a partial list, in order, of what was published early and which I have in my stuff:

"Montauk On My Right" June '70
"Flavor it Mackerel" July '70
"Block Island Safari" August '70
"Seaworm Country" May '71
"Requiem for a Surfman" November '70
"Sure Thing Come Spring" April '71
"Coastal One-Upmanship" July '71
"Swing Deep" May '72
"Basstown West" October '72
"Bass Moon Downside" August '73
Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 AM

Thanks Frank! Some of those sound familiar; "Requiem For A Surfman" definitely rings a bell. I probably read most of them back when they came out. I'm going to look for a couple of those issues.

Steve
Old 03-18-2015, 07:07 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I have all the old articles in my archives. Here is a partial list, in order, of what was published early and which I have in my stuff:

"Montauk On My Right" June '70
"Flavor it Mackerel" July '70
"Block Island Safari" August '70
"Seaworm Country" May '71
"Requiem for a Surfman" November '70
"Sure Thing Come Spring" April '71
"Coastal One-Upmanship" July '71
"Swing Deep" May '72
"Basstown West" October '72
"Bass Moon Downside" August '73
at least some of them are here:

http://stripersurf.com/daignault.html
Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 PM

"Requiem For A Surfman" was the story of when Charley Murat died while fighting a striper. It started in SWS but was sold again in the Providence Journal and republished in one of the books. Resale of articles is a very unusual event and most publications won't run reruns and pay for them.

"Block Island Safari" has been an embarrassment for a lot of critics who said loudly that I never knew about BI. They believed that because they were not even reading when it came out and never knew I had done it before anybody. It was about bluefish but our son, Dick, and I also caught stripers at night when we could not sleep and in the piece I cautioned readers to beware of the night striper potential there. I wanted to leave the door open for a BI striper article later. But my writing career was taking off and I had more than I could do what with years in graduate school at that period in the mid 1970s.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:50 PM

How'd you get to Block Frank? Ferry? I always heard you had a phobia about going on boats.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:29 AM

Yes, on the ferry. Boats? I spent eight years in the Naval Reserve. I was a highly decorated Petty Officer. My ribbon, just one, was red with a yellow bar in the center. It was awarded to me for meritorious, single handed attack on a Panama whorehouse.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Looking back on how I started and the relationship which evolved with Frank Woolner, I wonder if he might have needed a New England shore fishing writer to top off his staff of contributors. SWS definitely had a strong surf subscribership and he might, at the time, have believed that he needed more of that. So I might not have been good but more a candidate for one of his needs in providing editorial balance to the publication that he edited. Sure, as a young turk I might have been a little rough around the edges, but the old buggah might, just might, have seen me as a solution to providing a steady flow of fodder for his striper surf editorial needs. Thus, he groomed me. I think he did because he commonly offered tips about article writing in the many exchanges of letters we had. I was too green at the time to see all that. But now, hundreds of articles and dozens of editors -- many no where near as good as he -- later, I have a better picture in my mind of how a magazine works.

Maybe tomorrow we can talk more about the SWS surf verses boat war that developed during the then of that time. I wish we could pry some thoughts from our regular member Kib Bramhall but he might be constrained by some ethic of former employment.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 PM

Lots and lots of big $$$ boat advertisements in SWS especially after 1970 or so. There's the answer, I think.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:43 PM

And Frank, a little rough around the edges comes with the (our) territory. Comes with fishing all night, soaked, tired, catching 3 hours sleep in the buggy before the next tide sleeping in your waders........ Anything any more polished would have seemed fake.

Steve
Old 03-20-2015, 10:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
Lots and lots of big $$$ boat advertisements in SWS especially after 1970 or so. There's the answer, I think.
Along the same lines...
Look at the Saltwater Sportsman Seminar Series, and what you get for $55...check the website, most of it is boat driven: Bottle of Orpine Wash n Wax, can of corrosion block, Star Brite Boat Guard, Star Tron Fuel Additive, ocean forecast analysis, lectures and textbook...some other stuff too. Even the boat guys must be thinking, "Do I want to wash my boat or fish?"
Call me crazy but how 'bout a couple lures and some line?