Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Book Talk: Fly Fishing the Striper Surf

Sorry, had a brain fart and did not finish my prior post/response.
About the book. Like all of your books it's clear from the get go what your motivations were and that "no BS attitude" comes accross in a way that probably inspires surf casters to simply do what it takes. When I read Alberto Knie's stuff it's the same. No hang ups on bait/plugs/flies/bucks/metals....whatever it takes to put big fish on the beach.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

When I write -- article or book -- I like going after things in the striper world with which I disagree. Many beliefs in surfcasting are erronious which ends up being bad for the angler/reader. These things really get my a** and I go after them. For instance, stripping baskets. I know for a fact that the advocate of these aborations was working for a big fly fishing outfit and inspired huge sales of the things. Very few shore fishing situations and no boat fishing ones necessitate stripping baskets. If you are working a long shore beach with a buggy, do you want to take off this dishpan every time you move? I have fished Maritime rivers for salmon for years and never saw one in use. Never.

Besides, when you buy a book are you looking for facts which endorse your beliefs or those of the author? Moreover, is it not possible for you to politely disagree with the author without going into orbit. This is fishing not open heart surgery ....
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM

excerpt from a surfcaster's journal article by resident fly rod columnist john papciak ...

Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 AM

I didn't know Papciak had put that up in SJ. I love that stuff. Usually I never get to know things were said. Also, I didn't know Bentsen had said that.

The night on Race Bar, during a dark moon period, it was only Al and me. Al might have heard about it but was not there when I did the job on the really big stripers on Race Bar one daybreak -- fish to 43 pounds with another 40 even. The Old Guard just stood around astonished that a fly could do that. I had done it before when alone but usually they had been smalls and mediums, say to the high teens.

If there is one guy who got the whole thing going for me it was Bob Lipka, aka "Top Knot" a kid I grew up with in Woonsocket RI. We were close for many years and also did a lot Jamestown Bridge madness in the 1970s. A real rocket surgeon!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM

somehow i just knew you'd like that sj reference to ya, frank.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:58 AM

Inevitably, we tend to engage in generalized observations and one that has haunted me for years was that Long Island surfmen seemed to all think and surfcast the same way. Maybe every locale has a certain amount of that. Long Islanders, and I fished with an army of them, were rabid and effective stripermen. But they had, much to my distress, virtually no appreciation for fly fishing. They joked about it; they exhibited contempt for it; called it grandstanding and never, ever showed up on the beach with a fly rod. Even their literature, and those guys have engaged in literature at a greater level than most regions, by-passed fly fishing. Vince, Dick Samms, Tom Murphy, Paulie Hoercher, John Curran, Doc and Maddie -- to name only some -- would have been embarrassed to be seen with a "trout pole."
Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Every time I've gotten close to pulling the trigger on getting some serious salt fly gear, I've pulled back. I've played around with an 8 weight Sage and a cheap reel with schoolies and small blues, but never could commit completely to it.

It's mostly because I've always "cheated" by using a casting egg & fly or a Point Jude Sandeel as a casting weight with a teaser. With light spinning gear it's a killer strategy.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM
SS/Veteran

That was the case in other areas too, Frank. We started using our salmon flyrods on the north shore and southern NH for stripers at about the same time. We were often laughed at by the "regulars" and even in a few local newspaper outdoor columns. That never bothered us because we were catching more and larger stripers than we ever caught salmon and it just got better and better every year.
BillH
Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM

The earliest group to advance fly fishing for stripers was the Little Rhody Flyrodders out of RI. I think writer Armand Courchaine was a big player in that bunch. These guys were doing striper fly fishing in the mid 1960s. A very social group they would meet on a week night in some favored spot and then have a cocktail hour prior to midnight in some gin mill. I don't think anybody elsewhere was doing it before that.

Early 1970s Frank Woolner asked me how much of it I had done because while he fly fished ardently in fresh water, he had never seen it in the salt. This discussion ended up in my landing an assignment for SWS -- 1972/73. Outdoor writer, the late Joe Brooks, did some writing on it but I always got the feeling that he was so much the commercial writer that his only purpose was to bring something new to a mag's pages. His hair was always combed and he was so dressed up that he looked kind of phoney. Night pictures of fly fishermen in the striper surf? Are you kiddin????
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Now, there's a name out of the past.
I met Armand Courchaine on one of my first winter fishing trips to Scorton Creek on Cape Cod and often saw him there in the early-mid 1970s. Another early saltwater fly fisherman I met there around that time was Al Brewster. I got to know Al quite well and fished with him a few times when I lived on the Cape. Both were fine fishermen and real gentlemen, IMHO. Here are pictures of both
BillH

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Great to see that picture of Armand. I wonder if he is still around. i looked him up in the NEOWA and he is no longer listed

I think SW fly fishing was viewed as stunt fishing for many years and had an uphill climb in front of it as a result. Even now it is not fully recognized in some regions. Even in fresh water fly fishing particapation is limited and in minority use. I guess it must be hard for some people.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:56 AM
SS/Veteran

[quote=Frank Daignault;2395579]Great to see that picture of Armand. I wonder if he is still around. i looked him up in the NEOWA and he is no longer listed quote]

Yes, he is and has his own Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/armand.cour.../timeline/2014

BillH

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Senior Fellow

Have any of you read Fisherman's Ocean? It is supposedly a scientific approach to fish, tides, beaches, water conditions, etc. The same good info that Frank gives us in a less interesting format?

I'm getting a little winter weary here and need a read!!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 02-11-2014, 06:50 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I have read it, but a few years back. Good winter read though I wouldn't classify it as a "light" read
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM

I have never tried fly fishing, but last year I was fishing the Potomac and there was a fly guy who waded out to a choice rock and kept landing fish after fish. I don't know if it was me, but he had a not so well hidden air of superiority.

I don't usually compete with anyone when fishing, but something made me want to outfish him. Sadly, I couldn't get as far into the channel as him due to my limited tackle (I left most of my stuff in the car to make the long walk easier) and the fact he had the only good rock. I just bristled and moved on.