Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Boat fisherman

The commercial Hattaris and East End haul seiners are nothing like the sport fishermen in P-town. They may have beach launching in common with the commercials but it ends there. Sure the P-town guys sold their fish but they didn't net them.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:55 AM

A reality of any comparison between boat and surf fishing is that surf fishing is doomed by local regulation, parking issues, fee splitting over towing operations. It might sound simple, even good on paper to just go down to the ocean and cast a line but its not what way anymore. From boats you can go anywhere in the ocean except Naval Firing Ranges, which are few. From shore you need an attorney on retainer.

I bonded with surfcasting 60 years ago when it was a different world. I had no money for a boat and motor; I could not leave my wife and four small children at home to go fishing in my boat; boating in the ocean is dangerous for families.

My formative years were riddled with negative experiences imposed upon me from boatmen: They would blow through Charlestown Breachway and cut every drifted line from the jetty there; they ran the surfline cutting our baited lines; a school of fish would come up breaking on bait and charter boats would put the school down so they could troll through because the charter had no casting gear or could use it had they had casting gear. Finally, I spent years on the beach with a lot of guys who did not fish well and caught little to nothing. Next thing you know many got boats and became high-liners when in the striper surf they couldn't catch, couldn't catch, _______ (fill in for a laugh) First accurate response gets a ticket to the Italian Million-Dollar Lottery. Dollar a year for million years.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:40 PM

Being an old navy vet I'll take a stab at it: "Couldn't catch the Clap" ?
Old 09-02-2016, 03:54 PM

Close enough couldn't catch the clap in a Panama whorehouse
Old 10-26-2016, 02:34 PM
SS/Veteran

I don't know if it happens anymore but years past in fishing tourneys they had a prize for the biggest boat fish and another for the best surf fish. To get the prize in the surf with a lesser fish, people would take a boat fish and register it in the surf. One year in the Rhode Island Striper Tournament Jack Godda won a huge boat and motor worth thousands of dollars with his 57 pound striper; Mister Smarty, on the other hand, won the shore division with a 36-pounder and won a lawnmower. Tell me, what is a guy who fishes all the time and never cuts his grass, do with a phuckin lawnmower?
Old 10-27-2016, 06:42 AM

There is a local fishing tournament held on Columbus Day weekend.
Biggest boat fish this year was caught by a guy who hired a private charter captain to take him and his son somewhere off Block Island. He won first and second place and his son won third, all with striped bass in the high forty's.
Shore division was won by guy who I know works his tail off fishing in some tough conditions. His fish was only 26 lbs. but I give him more credit for how he went about it than I do the guy that hired someone to take him and his son on a boat who then put them on a school of cows.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM

I remember hearing that the MV Derby awards a truck to the boat division grand winner and a boat to the shore division winner I couldn't think of a more inappropriate prize for a dyed in the wool surfcaster
Old 10-27-2016, 11:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Bob, there is a lot of that in boat fishing. My wife has cousins who don't even own tackle who go out on a charter and catch, in one day, more big fish in a day than we get in a year. "Michael, grab that!" "Johnny, grab that." Its the captain who really gets the fish. The worlds of surf and boat are so different that it is unreasonable to compare them.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

which is one reason I hate tourneys.

I wonder what happened to Frank, now that this Francis guy keeps showing up?
Did he get caught filleting shorts in the dunes?

(or is it a simple browser issue... again?)

There are aspects of boat fishing that are plain stupid easy. Down here it's when the bunker pods are right off the beach, dozens, if not hundreds, of boats simply check their "fishfinder" for predators underneath the schools, snag and drop, and wait for the clickers to go off.

Other aspects are definitely challenging, when things are not so obvious. I will say plying the docks and structures where we do, requires some skills when wind and tide don't align perfectly... but with a well organized and equipped boat, and a decent "captain" ... it's no contest. The opportunity to find fish by boat far exceeds anything a shorebound angler could hope for.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post

I wonder what happened to Frank, now that this Francis guy keeps showing up?
Did he get caught filleting shorts in the dunes?
I think Francis is the kinder, gentler Frank, now that he's 80

We'll written story about it by Sue Daignault in current issue of
The Fisherman Mag.

DZ
Old 10-27-2016, 01:33 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Attached Images

Old 10-27-2016, 03:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz View Post
I think Francis is the kinder, gentler Frank, now that he's 80

We'll written story about it by Sue Daignault in current issue of
The Fisherman Mag.

DZ
I didn't know what yuz was talking about. My copy of the Fisherman came in today and Joyce had hidden it. I guess our daughter, Susan, conspired with Joyce to work with Editor Toby Lapinski through a bunch of secret e-mails. The lid was blown off here but I guess it had to come out somewhere. I was thrilled.

For members here who do not get the Fisherman the November issue had a well written article about Mister Smarty written by our daughter. It said that I am going to be 80 in November, which was an exaggeration.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:19 PM
SS/Veteran

My subscription to the Fisherman must have lapsed, and I never noticed it. (ringing endorsement, right?). I will pick one up on my way home.

Happy birthday, Francis! Or is it really Francois?
Old 10-28-2016, 03:36 AM
SS/Veteran

I'm still 79. So, just shut up.

I had another of those events with my browser. I kept getting these windows telling me to get chrome or sumpin. Then they changed me on their own and I lost all my favorites. Now I am ascared to do anything or I might wake up and my nuts will be gone.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:02 PM
SS/Veteran

There is a story behind the story on what appeared in The Fisherman this week. It seems there was collusion between Susan, who penned the story, input from my wife Joyce, who filled in blanks through a little used E-mail account, and Toby Lapinski, the Fisherman Editor. They were communicating right under my nose on the other e-mail account which I never saw. It was a real cloak-an'-dagger operation. Joyce had even hidden the Fisherman under the couch planning to hold it until November 14 but word here blew the lid off.