Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-07-2016, 09:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: March & April Fishing Reports 2016

Good stuff guys!!

Met up with 33Hemi for some back bay casting last night. First skunk of the young season
Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 AM

Teaser question: Since we're not on to reports yet. Those that tie, I usually use a Mustad 34007 (stainless) 2/0. However, I've had a few low teen bass straighten them. Recently, a Gamakatsu SL113H or SL12S (both saltwater fly hooks - tarpen,billfish etc.) was suggested to me. Anyone have any feedback on these hooks? Thanks in advance. 33hemi!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM

It's a start Don and I'm sure you caught a "Buzz" once you started casting.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Administrator

In the words of our own Bob D'Amico, "Mustad means dull" in another language.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 PM

I've been using Mustad 34007 (stainless) 2/0 for a while, and have never had a problem with them. That may change, however, when I actually catch a fish.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheM View Post
I've been using Mustad 34007 (stainless) 2/0 for a while, and have never had a problem with them. That may change, however, when I actually catch a fish.
Yeah, ive been using the 34007s for awhile. But a few times over this past year, i had a few straighten on me trying to put added pressure on a fish due to boulder fields. A couple had just hair and a couple were used with redgills. I know the drag may have been a little too tight for beach type fishing but like i said, i was in and around boulder fields and had to keep the pressure. 33hemi!

I ordered the gama SL11-3H 2/0s. We ll see what happens.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33hemi View Post
I ordered the gama SL11-3H 2/0s. We ll see what happens.
The Mustad 34007 is garbage. Give them to someone who fly fishes as they don't put the same pressure on hooks as we do with braided lines. Stainless hooks are much weaker than their non stainless counterparts and they don't hold the points well either.

The Mustad 3407 in size 4/0 and up is a decent hook and very economically priced. This is the non-stainless version of the 34007. I don't have any issues with them rusting just don't leave your teasers sitting in a pile of saltwater.

Hemi, I initially bought the SL11-3H to use in my Redgills. The 3/0 size is perfect for the 4" Redgill. After I started tying my own teasers I never tied another Redgill on again. I had these hooks around and found they made perfect teaser hooks.

The Gami SL11-3H is what I tie all my personal teasers on. A beast of a hook but you pay the price for them!!! The gap on the 2/0 can be on the smaller side so I generally prefer the 3/0 or 4/0 sizes.

This was tied on a Gami SL11-3H size 2/0:
Spearing

These are all tied on Mustad 3407 size 4/0:
Chartreuse over white

Tutti Frutti

Crazy Blurple
Old 03-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Thx JB! Good stuff right there. Thx. 33hemi!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 PM

Really nice work by everyone! YD
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
The Mustad 34007 is garbage. Give them to someone who fly fishes as they don't put the same pressure on hooks as we do with braided lines. Stainless hooks are much weaker than their non stainless counterparts and they don't hold the points well either.

The Mustad 3407 in size 4/0 and up is a decent hook and very economically priced. This is the non-stainless version of the 34007. I don't have any issues with them rusting just don't leave your teasers sitting in a pile of saltwater.

Hemi, I initially bought the SL11-3H to use in my Redgills. The 3/0 size is perfect for the 4" Redgill. After I started tying my own teasers I never tied another Redgill on again. I had these hooks around and found they made perfect teaser hooks.

The Gami SL11-3H is what I tie all my personal teasers on. A beast of a hook but you pay the price for them!!! The gap on the 2/0 can be on the smaller side so I generally prefer the 3/0 or 4/0 sizes.

This was tied on a Gami SL11-3H size 2/0:
Spearing

These are all tied on Mustad 3407 size 4/0:
Chartreuse over white

Tutti Frutti

Crazy Blurple
I am a fan....when are you going to have your spring catalog out?...please, put my name on the mailing list.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 AM

Figured I'd put up a report, hit a local river yesterday for the outgoing. Had several hits, couple decent ones, but in my anxiousness to see a fish, I kept pulling the hook out of their mouth before they actual took the offering. Guy to my left pulled in one, small fish in the low teen's of inches. Still nice day to be out. I think we had snow and ice at this time last year.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Senior Fellow

OK...a report featuring a mention of fish...nice job; my first casts will be next weekend and hope to hear some good things before then; were these hits on bait or artificials ??
Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 PM

Talked to a guy kayak fishing the a back-bay today and he said he got two on rattle traps. I was surprised they were active enough to chance that thing down. I noticed that he was working it REAL slow. Casting out and letting it sink first, then yo-yoing it back to the yak. Didn't give me a size on them but he said small schoolies so I'm guessing teens.
Going to try the spot out this weekend and see what happens. Trying to decide if I use worms or lures. Report to come... I hope.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
OK...a report featuring a mention of fish...nice job; my first casts will be next weekend and hope to hear some good things before then; were these hits on bait or artificials ??
Bait, I was just too excited to see a pole bounce again that every time I thought I had the little sucker on he'd pop off after a couple of yards of bringing him in. Good news was there was reports of the shad starting to move, which usually means that bass aren't too far behind. I usually stick to the river (its only a 20 minute drive as opposed to the hour plus to the shore) until mid april and then start plugging at least thats what the log said last year, first decent bass was on the 15th of april in the bay on plugs.

But good god I was bored after an hour of bait n' wait.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
Think small arties! 4" or less. 33hemi!