Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The press ......

What is the matter with the press that they can't see they are embarrassing themselves? It's simple, just report the news. Don't screw around with brainwashing the readership or seeking to influence their politics. That is not press's job. This crap of "according to sources that should know". Or "who spoke under conditions of promised anonymity." is fake reporting, or, more in keeping with our fearless leader, fake news. The press's conducting of its self is so bogus that they invite a threat to the First Amendment.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM
SS/Veteran

The newspapers are in trouble. Our Boston Globe gets smaller and smaller with less pages and less news with increasing use of opinion pieces. Its apparently easier to editorialize than go out and get a story. Also, the newspapers around my way can't get people to deliver the papers. There are no carriers and even fewer subscribers.

Of course you know how I feel about those guys. They dramatically lowered my income as a writer when they ruined me over the dog thing. I pleaded with my lawyer but he would not go after them. I think it was newspaper protection from the First Amendment that prevented him from taking legal action.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Just read something where even the press is admitting that public appreciation for them is at an all-time low. Read where 1200 newspapers in the US have closed down. This business of using every excuse to degrade the president is a little overdone. No that I am a big Trump supporter, but Hillary? Give me a break.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:33 AM
SS/Veteran

Newspapers all stink and they get weaker all the time. I believe that the imbalance in reporting is causing their decline. Even if you are a Democrat, as is the case in the northeast, you have to see that lack of balance in reporting is bad for the First Amendment. Incidentally, the press uses the First Amendment to attack our Second Amendment. Is that healthy?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:23 PM
SS/Veteran

What I resent most about the press is their inability to understand that we readers don't need to be told how to think. Especially when the papers themselves need just as much work as the readers with whom they lack respect.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 AM
SS/Veteran

The big papers are getting thinner and thinner. Less pages, less advertising which is a strong indication that profits are down. People have lost interest in papers, at least in the one, the Boston Globe which we read everyday.

Also, my favorite column, "Ask Amy", which is a love advice column. Amy, in typical uninformed anti-gun speak, really screwed up with an anti-firearms rant which brought down a world of sheet and overwhelming complaints. Chalk that one up to a typical Democrat anti-gun newspaper columnist who knew nothing of what she was talking about.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:59 AM
SS/Veteran

I'm sure that fishermen here are thankful that the press is not going after them the way they go after hunters. Just remember that you fishermen could be next. For one thing have you noticed that outdoor columns, which include fishing, are now largely defunct?
Old 07-05-2019, 09:10 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thankfully we still have a local fishing column in the Press of Atlantic City. I wonder when the columnist, Mike Shepherd, dies or "retires" what may happen.

But yes, in my "old" papers of North Jersey, outdoor columns have indeed disappeared. And even here in the relatively republican south jersey, there is almost no attention paid to hunters.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that a former head of the Div of Fish and Wildlife in NJ used to say that hunters were fishermen's first line of defense.

I did hear of activists protesting crabbers, or at least the way folks eat crabs.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:57 AM
SS/Veteran

The liberals have to know that hunters tend to be conservatives. Hence the running of newspapers, being as they are anti-hunters anyway, would never offer an outdoor column, though they might support fishing. Might.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

True....
Attached Images

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 PM
SS/Veteran

I want members here to appreciate that my contempt for the press stems from how I was treated when I protected my wife and I from an attack by a pair of loose dogs in a public park by shooting one of them. The person who had them in the park was no where to be seen. The dogs were illegally loose, unleashed and unlicensed. The owner was charged.

The press, on the other hand, chose to be on the side the dogs that were flalicking in a park rather than on the side of a woman who was a grandmother, a retired teacher with no criminal record and was down on the ground by an animal weighing over 100 pounds. Its apparently a better story to side with the dogs -- Lassie.

One has to be a victim of the press to realize what they can do to spin a story. Why do we see people walking with ball bats or golf clubs? I retell this story to bring emphasis to the irresponsible nature of newspaper reporting. Not only was I blindsided by the way it was reported, but I lost my 20-year-old gig with a Cape Cod fishing publication.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Ever notice on some press interviews the person is reluctant to give any answers. A common person who tends to clam up is Coach Belichick, Brady to a lesser extent. Thee seems a reluctance in interviews to say much out of some apparent fear of being misquoted.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:28 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Two things I was told: never talk to the police or the press, as both will misquote you.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Two things I was told: never talk to the police or the press, as both will misquote you.
Police don't trust the press either. Nobody trusts the press. They thrive on copy and if they can spruce up a story with a little exaggeration or spin, they will.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

It's a dam shame how the Press (Fake News) is constantly trying to ruin lives.

NYT updates Kavanaugh 'bombshell' to note accuser doesn't recall alleged assault

The New York Times suddenly made a major revision to a supposed bombshell piece late Sunday concerning a resurfaced allegation of sexual assault by Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh -- hours after virtually all 2020 Democratic presidential candidates had cited the original article as a reason to impeach Kavanaugh.

The update included the significant detail that several friends of the alleged victim said she did not recall the supposed sexual assault in question at all. The Times also stated for the first time that the alleged victim refused to be interviewed, and has made no comment about the episode.

The only first-hand statement concerning the supposed attack in the original piece, which was published on Saturday, came from a Clinton-connected lawyer who claimed to have witnessed it.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nyt...or-impeachment

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.