Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Shop Class > Amateur Plug Building

Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM

Default Installing Metal Lip

I'm on my first few plugs, moving slowly forward with them, and I'm almost done with paint now. One a Goo Goo Eye with all screws (from NJ Tackle), so assembly is easy with that once I finish epoxy coating. Another is the Glide Bait (from Salty's) and that looks to be no problem asembling once the epoxy is done. The third one though, a Lil Troublemaker (also from Salty's) has a lip that will glue into a slot up front. I'm now wondering.....once I epoxy coat the plug, how do I put the lip on it? Should I put the lip on before the epoxy coat and coat the plug with the lip in place? Should I recut that slot after the epoxy coat? If I do recut the slot, which is how I'm leaning right now, do I use the epoxy that will hold the lip in place to also seal the slot that I opened up?

Any advice is appreciated.....thanks.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Installing Metal Lip

I like to install my lips after I epoxy the plug. When your epoxy is still wet, take a thin piece of card stock type paper and run it through the slot to clean it out. After the epoxy is completely dry, slide the lip in and make sure it fits, if not run a hacksaw blade through a few times. I then put the wire through and make sure it goes all the way in, then I back the lip and wire out together just enough so the lip is still in the slot, put a little epoxy on the lip top and bottom and push the wire and lip back in as tight as you can. Make sure the lip is nice and straight and let the epoxy dry completely before finishing your tail loop.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Thanks Dan. I didn't think of clearing the slot with a card as the epoxy cured, but I'll definitely do that. Also will let the epoxy dry before cinching down the tail loop.....didn't think about that either.

I'll post up some pics when I'm done.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM

I epoxy with the lip in place. I like to keep it simple.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperKnight View Post
I epoxy with the lip in place. I like to keep it simple.
Same here.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM

I put everything together then epoxy, I do put a little epoxy in the lip slot when installing the lip.