Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Default Re: How have Outdoor READERS changed over the last 20-30 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I'm not a big supporter of Donald Trump though I did vote in his favor. What I was doing was voting against Hillary. But his repeated attacks on print media with the "fake news" is comforting to me because I think the news reporting needs a lot of repair. What they are calling news stories are nothing but opinion pieces that belong on the editorial pages. The Boston Globe is awful these days. They are not serving readers. Rather they are engaged in a pissin war with Trump. Meanwhile print media is doing exactly what Trump is accusing them of doing -- serving the contentious situation instead of serving we readers. I know that I have at times been criticized right here but no one can say that I have ever forgotten the readers in my work.
The coverage of Trump is hopeless but I don't think it's all the fault of the press. He says things that are false and the press has a field day running down the fact checking

Imagine if Trump was a Surfcaster the things he would be claiming?

We do have our own versions of false and sensational fishing reports
"Limits are the rule so book your trip now as choice dates are filling up fast"
And failing to mention the days when it was slow at best.

I guess it comes down to...
What is the motivation ?
And does it really help them sell more issues or advertisement ?
Old 09-11-2017, 04:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Back to reading and the changes that have happened. I think no one wants to drive to a bookstore and buy a book to learn about when he can go to Utube and watch and learn in a fraction of the time. Of course much of the info has to be filtered on what is true and what is bull like anything I would guess.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 AM

Keep in mind, Merlin, that all book authors are not qualified to put a suitable book together. I know a lot of these "authors" and they need a lot of work. One time, while waiting to go on behind another writer, I heard the guy tell his audience that stripers don't hit at night. That is monumentally fricken stupid. He told them, "I would be sure to quit by 10:00 PM." There are some good writers out there but which ones?

I also know a very successful fishing writer who has a best selling book that does not have a single picture in it that was taken at night. He could still be a solid teacher of striper fishing but not able to deal with night photography.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Today's readers are more sophisticated. As a result they are less inclined to believe what they read. What was once a guiding principal, today the saying, "read it in the paper so it must be true." has become a ofte repeated joke.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:28 PM
SS/Veteran

It is a shame that the media has lost all credtability as we all sit in the dark believing what we choose to believe.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
It is a shame that the media has lost all credtability as we all sit in the dark believing what we choose to believe.
Yes, that is the shame of it. The media has lost its credibility and people are making a statement about that as reflected in how many of our neighbors no longer get a morning paper. The Boston Globe has all these "news analysis" pieces all over the paper, often on the front page. It makes me want to say, don't interpret the news for me, just report without analysis or bias. What is the matter with these reporters? Aren't they trained in journalism? Can't they return the news to newspapers?

Say what you want about Donald Trump. You might not even like him which is your right. But the sonofavitch is right about "fake news". I said that 16 years ago when I was crucified by the press. I pleaded with my lawyer at the time but he would not take the paper on, I think because of the First Amendment.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:27 AM

The demise of the local outdoor column is going on everywhere. The Boston Globe, which for years had an outdoor column, never mentions fishing or hunting nor do they even have coverage. Best you are going to get is a bear sighting in Roxbury. But the season is always open on our Commander In Chief.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:15 PM

It is probably always been the case, but how many members here realize that there are anglers out there who cannot read? One of the most prominent clubs in Rhode Island had a president who could not read. As an educator I was trained to spot non-readers and this club had a guy who would scale correspondence across his desk to a secretary to read to the floor. How you going to sell books to this guy????? That affliction is not as rare as you think. Also, watch for guys who quit school in the 7th grade.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 AM

Many readers resent excessive advertising in outdoor publications. I happen to like seeing adds on equipment developments. How else you going to know what is available?
Old 09-29-2017, 03:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Readers use to go out and buy a book because it looked interesting. Now with the price of books you need several recommendations to buy and read. Example that i have mentions are two of Capstick's books but not the others.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:10 PM

The thing about books is matching the book's thrust with the interest of the reader. Few books interest me: I enjoy surf fishing books because I enjoy, vicariously, how the author displays his non-knowledge of surfcasting the striper surf. Books in the field in which I have published the last 40 years are immensely informative of their googanistic inexperience. How can a person with a best seller fail to mention the notion of night fishing?

But a book that informs me like Lee Wulf's "ATlantic Salmon" I will read over again and again because I respect his prose and background in that field. (Hopefully, there are people out there in the world who view me that in that way striper fishing.) But we all have different interests/tastes literary.

Our mutual friend, Rich O'cooner, aka "Merlin", is a journalistic follower of Capstick who is an African big game hunter who has captured the charm, history, and frolic of the jungle rifle. I am indebpted to both the author Capstick and Rich for bringing him to my attention. I now have all the Capstick works which enjoy periodic reread, ferrying me away to a dream world nearly as good as the real one that enjoys the stench of burnt powder. True, dear and loyal members who come here, there is a lot of crap out there, but one good read that tickles your soul is worth a memorable revisit. In memorable authors, I am on the list, even if one on a scale of ten, but I hope I am on the list.