Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: frank surf rods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastCast91 View Post
Well, I ended up going with a 10ft st. croix mojo surf series. I understand how distance some times does not matter because you can cast 10 yards and land a 40 pounder. However, I was looking for something more comfortable because the rod I had been using was not rated to handle 4oz sinkers so it was like trying to cast forward as far as i could get it but at the same time it was like someone was pushing my arm down. My old rod I used for 10 years so it has had a good run but now seeing rods have changed since I first bought my 1st surf rod, I needed to know who were the reliable rod makers these days. You all helped me out, I took my daiwa reel and mounted it on a few poles but it felt best with the st croix.
Sweet! Now just remember to never exceed the lure weight rating so you don't have to worry about blowing it up on a cast!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The issues in rod selection have always been the same. I doubt that the rods changed. You did.

Not your situation but in general, when I was intimate with the late Charley Murat, he once told me, "I give them what they want, even if they are making a mistake. They the boss and I just put this stuff together."

Years ago at a show there was a booth selling surf rods and he had a bunch of 15 footers which he sold every one he had. He told me he could have sold a hundred more. They liked getting six free feet when they bought a stick.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 AM
SS/Veteran

I just read an article on the future of fishing poles and in the middle of the article it talked about telescoping fishing poles for the surf that opened to 31 feet total and weight 9.4 ounces. They are not being made in Asia and very very expensive. It went on to the disclaimer warning not to flick it open but open one section at a time.

I think we will need bigger beaches! Excuse me fellow fisherman but I need to open my fishing pole.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Merl, there are bound to be evolutionary developments in all endeavors. But what you are talking about sounds to me like more crap. Anybody remember the Austrailian Sidecast Reel? It was another of those whiz-bang come-alongs that went no where.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I just read an article on the future of fishing poles and in the middle of the article it talked about telescoping fishing poles for the surf that opened to 31 feet total and weight 9.4 ounces. They are not being made in Asia and very very expensive. It went on to the disclaimer warning not to flick it open but open one section at a time.

I think we will need bigger beaches! Excuse me fellow fisherman but I need to open my fishing pole.
Excuse me fellow fisherman but I need to open my fishing pole. That's good MERL.
We all know what a compound bow is, and the dynamics, and reasons for it's development. I wouldn't be surprised if someone isn't working on it. Often at night, after many failed tries at sex, I often lie awake trying to figure out how a compound rod could be engineered. One day, years ago, on the beach, up close to BIG AL'S place, me and a friend sat in our truck for a long time and watched a guy with an open face spinner, launch his bait rig with a large, home made, spring loaded device that he either made, or had built. He was gettin'er on out there, but I'd have liked to have seen the results with a conventional reel. Can you imagine the site of a backlashed rod and reel hurling through the air for a hundred yards, if, the line didn't break. I've seen it all at Hatteras. Helium filled balloons and kites carrying rigs out beyond the bar. I suppose a hand operated helicopter will be next.

MULE.

MULE.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM
SS/Veteran

31 feet...must be fly fishing rod for future stripers
Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Well, I ended up going with a 10ft st. croix mojo surf series. I understand how distance some times does not matter because you can cast 10 yards and land a 40 pounder. However, I was looking for something more comfortable because the rod I had been using was not rated to handle 4oz sinkers so it was like trying to cast forward as far as i could get it but at the same time it was like someone was pushing my arm down. My old rod I used for 10 years so it has had a good run but now seeing rods have changed since I first bought my 1st surf rod, I needed to know who were the reliable rod makers these days. You all helped me out, I took my daiwa reel and mounted it on a few poles but it felt best with the st croix.
I know that Mojo 10' or 10'6" + Daiwa reel (usually emblem pro) is a very popular canal plugging combination, i.e., a very popular plugging for distance combination. I don't know about using it for bait.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 AM

I had more trouble with a Daiwa Emcast rod I just bought really getting into surfcasting the Canal and the Race so I said to hell with a cheap rod and bought a lamilglas Super Surf and a Ron Arra Surf Pro. Should get them this week and I am off to Race Point and a weekend in Truro. No lookin back, I looked at the St Croix Mojo Surf but was not impressed with the apparent cheapness of the way it looked. Hope I made the right choices guess I will find out!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Im confused, you say you bought this, then say you didn't and bought 800.00 in lami, I must have missed something here. More importantly is the tendency for both those rods to explode of you push there limits. Something to keep in mind.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM

No I said I had bought the cheap Daiwa and had nothing but proflems with it but didn't buy the Mojo surf didn't like the way it was put together. I know these two rods are rated 2-6 on the Super Surf and 1-4 on the Ron Arra, know I have to take it easy what I cast but hope if the linesider gets hooked on the end I can still take him in as thats what I'm goin for!?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:40 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Anybody remember the Austrailian Sidecast Reel? It was another of those whiz-bang come-alongs that went no where.
Hey, man, bite your tongue! You're talking about Alvey reels, which are all I use for slinging bait!

I wasn't around then, but I think the mistake Alvey made when they sprung them on the U.S. market was that they touted them as superior casting reels. While they cast fine, I can't notice any difference in castability between an Alvey and a spinner or a convench. When people saw that the manufactuer's casting claims weren't really true, people naturally assumed that everything else they said about them was bogus too. Which is too bad, really, because they are great, incredibly durable, bulletproof surf reels. You can drop them in the sand, rinse them in the surf, and keep on fishing, without doing any maintenance.

And now that I'm thinking about them, Frank, they are a good example of how changes in technology can have an impact on gear. One of the key benefits of an Alvey reel is line capacity: the reel I use for slinging clams holds something like 550 yards of 20 lb. mono. The only problem with this is that a lot of people are using braid now, and A) Alveys don't like braid all that much, B) the thin diameter of braid allows smaller reels to hold as much line as you're ever going to need: why use a reel that weighs 3 lbs. when you can use one that's a lot lighter? The evolution of technology in fishing tackle, in this case line, has left anglers with better options than a lot of the old stand-bys.

And, since you didn't ask, I think that surfcasters are behind the curve, technologically speaking, in at least one area. Inshore and offshore boat fishermen are using the gossamer-thin diameters of today's superlines to fish with smaller and smaller reels. The thinking here is that the smaller the reel, the lighter it is, and the more enjoyable it is to fish with: you can hold it for longer periods of time with less fatigue. So reel manufactuers (Avet comes immediately to mind) are building reels that are not much bigger than flounder reels, but are built like tanks, with extremely strong frames and sturdy drags, and, when used with braid, are more than capable of handling just about everything short of giant pelagic fish. It's interesting to me to see a guy with what looks like a souped-up porgy outfit take on a football-sized bluefin tuna - and win the battle easily. The days of giant, coffee-can conventionals on boat rods -- remember the giant Penn Senator reel Quint used in Jaws? -- have mostly passed us by.

Yet when I see beach fishermen, I still see giant spinning reels like the 704 and 706. With braid, you just don't need something that big: with braid, a modern reel about the size of the 710 holds more than enough line, especially if you're not fishing somewhere with strong currents. And when you reduce the weight of your rod-reel combo this much, you're going to have a much more enjoyable fishing experience: you'll be able to fish much longer without getting tired.

Sorry for the digression. You'll like the Mojo. It's a good rod.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceancruze1 View Post
No I said I had bought the cheap Daiwa and had nothing but proflems with it but didn't buy the Mojo surf didn't like the way it was put together. I know these two rods are rated 2-6 on the Super Surf and 1-4 on the Ron Arra, know I have to take it easy what I cast but hope if the linesider gets hooked on the end I can still take him in as thats what I'm goin for!?
Your first sentence in that thread I quoted was "well I ended up going with the 10' st.croix mojo surf series" I hate to break your stones but you've changed what you've said three times, and I'm confused.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:21 PM

No again what I said was I went with the Lami super surf and Ron Arra and will get both in this week. THe Mojo had no steel reinforcement in the reel mounts, just all flexible plastic, did not like the way the handles were done, looked and felt chincy, did not seem like there was much action in the rod seemed stiff and dead. Looked like St Croix's way of making a lower cost rod by cutting corners on the material cost. Comparing it to the Ron Arra the decision seemed like an easy one and the Super Surf seems to have very high acclaim. I know I will have to watch it with the Arra from what I know so far from hearing how they break when used as not intended. Maybe these are both not good rods for use in the canal if you use any amount of significant weight
Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
SS/Veteran

My fault I got you confused with the guy who started this thread. In any event good luck with the rods you guys bought.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 PM

It is reasonable to assume that the manufacturer -- car, brewer, rod maker -- knows the most about what is needed. But my experience has been that this is not true of rod makers. They post phoney weight ratings on their rods, make them too long, and offer weird actions. If they had exhibited any competence at all, how else would all these small, garage operations spring up all over the striper Coast and successfully and competently corner the market?

The big companies design rods. Then they are assembled in Asia by a squad of Quatamalens. The first don't know what is needed and the latter are just doing what they are told.