Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:29 AM

What year class will be most abundent this year? It seems every year lately the average fish I catch seems to be larger than the year before. How long will it be before 40 and 50 #ers are caught regularly like way back in your heyday?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:29 AM

What year class will be most abundent this year? It seems every year lately the average fish I catch seems to be larger than the year before. How long will it be before 40 and 50 #ers are caught regularly like way back in your heyday?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The biggest year class ever recorded, which had an index of 58 was recorded in 1996. These eight year old stripers will weigh around nine pounds and be around 30 inches total length long. Because they are are still young enough, there will still be males among them.

The greatest number of 50 plus ever recorded was around 1967 with 225. There might have been a better year in the early 80s but the people who did the recording stopped so we don't know if '67 or 82 were the best for mobies. Last year, the biggest year for fifties since the moratorium, there were around 70. We are getting there. The next big shot of old fish that come from a big YOY was the 1989 year-class. So you should see a nice slug of monsters in the year 2010, a lesser surge in 2009. It was never, nor will it ever be, easy to find a fifty pounder. No, never.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:02 AM

Frank, Ya said "Because they are are still young enough, there will still be males among them." Im not familiar withthe life cycle of the striper. Is it hermaphroditic like a sea bass or do the males die off earlier than the females?
Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 AM

I wish you hadn't asked that because I don't know. The rule is that bass over 15 pounds are over 99 percent females. Maybe somebody knows, but, from the hip, I say they don't change. No question but that the older they get, the more reduced they become in numbers.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Mad Russian Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by Therookie88:
This might be a stupid question to some, but how can you tell the difference between a male and female bass or fish in general?

Just check if they have fish wee-wee.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:54 PM
SS/Veteran

BENT CHEESE????

Keeper of the light
Old 04-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Mad Russian Scientist

Don't ask, Bob.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:11 PM

Looking good in 15 years
YOY = Young of the Year for chesapeake spawning success. The traditional predictor of future moby bass used everywhere.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:05 AM

I think they have rings on the scales like a tree for ageing. I think the vent is red on a female. Of course it is easy if you kill it. Dah.

(Forgive the spelling errors but in order to make my way through the questions, I can't fool around.)
Old 04-10-2004, 07:48 AM

Rookie, I don't understand the chart either. it is apparently a comparison of young-of-the-year and yield or something.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:46 AM
SS/Veteran

There's a program to submit scales to for studies determining age. Was it in the Fisherman, I read about it? If you are catch +release er, submit one scale and length of fish, like you said, rings on a tree.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Daignault:
Rookie, I don't understand the chart either. it is apparently a comparison of young-of-the-year and yield or something.

It is the same chart as on page 3 of Trophy Striper only more current.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:03 AM

So, they don't use "average number of fish per haul" anymore? What happened to 59 and 8? all that I get is that the years since '96, which I have been wondering about by the way, were pretty good.

I was going to e-mail you about the years after '96. I was all over Maryland DNR web-site and could not decipher it. Of course I don't have the internet skills you have, which is why I rely upon the Walters of the world. What i would like is a graph similar to the one on page three of TS that picks up the years after '96 so that I can continue to make predictions for my readers, we both like that. The above says it in a general way, but I don't want it changed so that comparisons can continue being made.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:38 PM

I changed the 1st chart data to simulate the one in the book.

A geometric mean is an average. It is different way of reporting the data, I quess.

I looked around a little but didn't see the same chart in the book although I am sure it can be found.

What is important though is the the relative values. The years since 1996 have been real good.

According to this 1993 year class, we should be attacked by 38" bass this year. I didn't see many fish in the mid 30's, last year, like this chart predicts. How about you?