Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:54 PM

as of now i am planning on buying a shimano cardiff 301 baitcaster before march. does anyone have one of these? or can anyone give me an opinion which other reel to buy. i'm pairing the reel with a st. croix tidemaster 7'6" MH rod. any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:54 PM

as of now i am planning on buying a shimano cardiff 301 baitcaster before march. does anyone have one of these? or can anyone give me an opinion which other reel to buy. i'm pairing the reel with a st. croix tidemaster 7'6" MH rod. any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Allen

I have the smaller Cardiff I use for flounder/fluke, more of a backup setup but the few times I've used it I like it.. Real smooth, a lot like the Calcutta.. I got it cheap, gave it a shot

If you wanna go with something else, a Calcutta isn't a bad investment..

What exactly are you gonna be using this setup for??

E-Mail:
Allen@stripersurf.com
Old 02-03-2003, 09:03 PM

zmm, I work in a sporting goods store in the fishing department. I am planning on buying a 301 in the next couple of weeks. I handle the reels alot. Research if you will. It's feels like a solid reel, and I have had good feedback as well. Another good choice would be an Abu c-3 or c-4. I own one of each, and they are extremely reliable
Old 02-04-2003, 09:03 AM
SS/Platinum - 2003 Striper King aka Meeee-Ho!

zmm, i never used one of the cardiffs but saw one this past fall break after a battle witha 6lb weakfish. The thumbar had broke, and the reel would not go into freespool.

Like striper swiper said, the abu c-3's are excellent reels for the money. I have 2 6500 c-3's and have used them for bucktailin fluke, to eelin bass.

I do want to try one of the calcuttas, they seem like awesome reels.

Chris
Team Sea Hunter
Old 02-04-2003, 10:23 AM
SS/Veteran

I just got a conventional reel this winter, a Penn 965 International. Matched it with a Daiwa Heartlands MH 6'6" rod to use off the yak. Plan on having it do a bunch of things, flukin', trolling for bass. Seems to fit the bill with a middle of the road 230/15 capacity.

Roger Smith <x//////><
Old 02-04-2003, 12:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Chris.
Next time you come out with us, let me know. I will bring a 965 and a calcutta, and you can use them and compare.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Togalicious Moderator

zmm, never personally used a Shimano Cardiff but if you give us some more details on where, how, what you'll be fishing you'll get alot more suggestions and insight.

Calcuttas...never really impressed me. Heard mixed reviews from people that fished them.

Do have a Penn 965 and 975. I like those reels, but still feel they're overpriced. Use the 965 for fluke, seabass, tog'n and everything inbetween. Fished it hard for a lil over a year and had to get warranty repairs/replaced quite a few parts. The 975 I just got for christmas, well WHEN it works its great

Have started to fall in love with my Newell and in the market for some new reels, so I'll eagery await other's comments on the Cardiff and other reels.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:22 PM

The Abu 6500 C3 is a great reel for the price. Calcuttas and 965/975's are sweet but the C3 is a better buy IMO. Drop in some smoothie drag washers & your good to go with Fluke/Bass/Blues.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:28 PM

Maybe Bob can do a "CSI" autopsy on a Calcutta and a Penn 975 side by side.

How do you feel about an all-plastic bridge plate for openers?

The 965 works fine for bottom fishing, but if you can find a comfortable place to thumb the spool for casting, let me know---that rearward facing projection off the cross bar gave me fits when I tried one. They modified it on the 975 and recessed it forward, but didn't bother redesigning and retrofitting it on the 965
Old 02-04-2003, 04:55 PM

i'm going to be using the rod mainly for flukin and weakfishing. i would like to be able to fish bass as well. i'm just looking for something with a strong frame and is made to handle the salt. while i do prefer shimano over other manufacturers, the only reason i'm almost set on the cardiff is because its a saltwater model and it comes in lefty. i had an abu a while back and the frame started to decay after just one season. braking systems really dont matter b/c im using this off my boat.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:08 PM

Any reel will decay from the salt if you dont rinse it down with fresh water after every use. I also spray down my reels with WD-40 after cleaning. Good Luck!
Old 02-04-2003, 07:45 PM

Zmm, my .02 worth is to not get caught up in the great conventional debate. There are more nuances to learn about this wonderful sport than what reel you should use.

Having said that I can highly recomend the Shimano Calcutta 700 or the Calcutta 400TE, They cast like a dream-at least for me-and they have solid one-peice frames, smooth drags and most importantly have a 6-way adjustable centrifugal braking system. They're not cheap. The 400TE will set you back 200 big ones and the 700 comes in at $239.00

Max
Old 02-05-2003, 08:50 AM

River Rat,
I always heard that WD-40, being a petroleum product, decays monofiliment line. Anyone know if this is true?

Personally, I use Blakemore Reel Magic before and after fishing... it is a silicone spray which allegedly protects the reel as well as the line.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:53 PM

I have been using it for years with mono and no noticeable problems. Reel Magic may be better for the line. I'll have to check it out.