Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Triple Crown -- 2019

Let's hear it from the pony pundits. Hurry because I have to call my bookie in Louisiana before late tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Triple Crown -- 2019

Game Winner from what I hear.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 05-05-2019, 07:02 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Chris has to weigh in on this one. I only saw brief news reports about the fiasco yesterday.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:32 AM
SS/Veteran

The winner was disqualified for bumping another horse. This moved the other runners up in the results which gave my wife a show win for $28 on a five dollar bet. She is all horsed over this paltry win.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
The winner was disqualified for bumping another horse. This moved the other runners up in the results which gave my wife a show win for $28 on a five dollar bet. She is all horsed over this paltry win.
And what did you win?

I didn't win because I don't play. My neighbor lives for horse racing.
He's then one who gave me the name I posted.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Sorry, I was away on a three-day bender.

The DQ was the right call. The rules suck, but the decision is in line with what the rules state. Maximum Security clearly interfered with War of Will, and the rulebook says that when that happens, the horse gets taken down.

I have a feeling, though, that we are watching the death throes of horse racing as a sport. The PETA nuts have a hard-on for it; now that they've killed greyhound racing, they're going after the horses. What happened at Santa Anita this winter, where horses died on the track at a disgusting rate, was awful, and the controversy over the Derby finish only gave more ammo to the animal-rights wackos.

The Preakness is a week from Saturday, and it is shaping up to be the most anti-climactic Preakness in many years, perhaps even ever. Maximum Security will not run, his handlers announced this morning, and while Country House is a nice colt, I don't think he's all that likely to win either. With most of the Derby horses skipping the Preakness, it figures to be filled with new horses, and to have the excitement of kissing your sister. It's another bad thing for a sport that doesn't need any more bad things.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:53 PM
SS/Veteran

I am not a race fan and don't know anything about handicapping. One of our daughters has an off track betting account in Louisiana and she phones our small bets in and we connect and laugh with the help of a few Scotches. I advocate more and larger bets but my wife, who squeezes a penny until it bleeds, is in charge. But she can double down on a $25 bet when she has eleven in her first cards in blackjack. Go figure!
Old 05-10-2019, 08:57 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I am not a race fan and don't know anything about handicapping. One of our daughters has an off track betting account in Louisiana and she phones our small bets in and we connect and laugh with the help of a few Scotches. I advocate more and larger bets but my wife, who squeezes a penny until it bleeds, is in charge. But she can double down on a $25 bet when she has eleven in her first cards in blackjack. Go figure!
I haven't had time to post here, but you can follow my incoherent ramblings on another site: I've been writing for a gambling website. I don't want to post any links and get in trouble here, but typing my name and horse racing into the Google will find it.

I've been quiet this week, but will have a bunch of stuff, posting almost every day, in advance of the Preakness next week. I still like Improbable in the race, just like I liked him in the Derby -- I'm nothing if not stubborn.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM
SS/Veteran

We have nothing to go by so if you can make a recommendation we will put five bucks on your recommendation. Believe me we are risking way more in our investments. We just like to think we were/are/might be lucky.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
We have nothing to go by so if you can make a recommendation we will put five bucks on your recommendation. Believe me we are risking way more in our investments. We just like to think we were/are/might be lucky.
I'll post here before race. I salute you, ma man!
Old 05-11-2019, 01:51 PM
SS/Veteran

We just made a serious life change: dropped DeWars and went to Famous Grouse. Trying to get my Irish wife to bump up the bet using some of her KD winnings.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:54 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Trying to get my Irish wife
I'm surprised your Irish wife doesn't insist on Jameson. Whisky over there is very serious business: for decades, among Irish whiskies, Jameson was the Catholic flavor, and Bushmills the Protestant flavor. Scotch is a whole 'nother deal.

I can't do any of 'em. I can do bourbon or rye, but those British Isles whiskies all taste, and smell, like paint-thinner to me.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:48 PM
SS/Veteran

We have a friend who services computers for a health agency with hundreds of clients and they give single malts every Christmas. He stopped giving them to me because I never had a single malt that I liked. Weird, I know.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:01 PM
SS/Veteran

We bumped up our betting to $10 each bet and blew $30 with three total, industrial grade nags. One of the choices made by my rocket scientist wife the jockey fell off the horse at the starting gate.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
We bumped up our betting to $10 each bet and blew $30 with three total, industrial grade nags. One of the choices made by my rocket scientist wife the jockey fell off the horse at the starting gate.
The betting on that race was weird: the longshots were way, way, way overbet, and some solid contenders, like the winner, were underbet. It's gotta be all that once-a-year money that's bet: those people bet on some dumb things.

In my crack -- -- race analysis, I narrowed the field down to two horses: Improbable and War of Will.

Want to take a guess which one I picked?