Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 PM

Just wanted to give a quick update on the Union Beach area.. Fished sun down last night and the schoolies were all over the place.. I landed 4 20-22" in 10 minuntes as soon as I got there (on clam).. The biggest fish I saw was a slot fish (on bloodworms).. I also wanted to let you guys know that I saw a bunch of bait in the water.. Bait was jumping the whole time I was there (only 2 hours).. I have a question for you guys: The entire time I was there my rod tip was bouncing with small hits.. I missed a ton of them.. When fishing with gamatsu opctupus circle hooks, should I wait for the fish to hook themselves w/ a little tension or should I try to set it a bit????? any info would be great... I'll update everyone again Fri. morning..
Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 PM

Just wanted to give a quick update on the Union Beach area.. Fished sun down last night and the schoolies were all over the place.. I landed 4 20-22" in 10 minuntes as soon as I got there (on clam).. The biggest fish I saw was a slot fish (on bloodworms).. I also wanted to let you guys know that I saw a bunch of bait in the water.. Bait was jumping the whole time I was there (only 2 hours).. I have a question for you guys: The entire time I was there my rod tip was bouncing with small hits.. I missed a ton of them.. When fishing with gamatsu opctupus circle hooks, should I wait for the fish to hook themselves w/ a little tension or should I try to set it a bit????? any info would be great... I'll update everyone again Fri. morning..
Old 04-21-2004, 09:22 PM

Some of them small taps mighta been bunker running into your line&gt)>,,sounds like you had a fun time ,i cant wait till the weekend
Old 04-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Them bunker can drive you nuts at times with that.

Have seen some smaller rats around, caught while floundering so might be them too...must be related to bergals

I used the Octopus Circles and set the hook, lightly though. Only with true circles you shouldn't "set" the hook.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:06 PM

I like to use 6/0 Gamagastu Bait holders, it holds the clams on good and you hook the fish most of the time. The taps were prolly bunkers hitting the line it was happening to me last week every 5 minutes.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:07 PM

i personally like to leave the pole untouched until it starts to wiggle wildly and i'm positive that the fish has set the hook on it's own. think about it...if you try to set the hook while the fish is just taking bites at the bait, you are jerking the bait away from the fish. you can't catch the fish if the hook isn't near it's mouth. let the hook stay where it is so that the fish can take another shot at the bait and possibly bite the hook. don't make the fish suspicious with a sudden jerk. let the fish take shots at the bait and let the circle hook do it's job. just my opinion. hope that helps.