Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Kings over Queens

Oh Vinny, now that was really mean. My only question is are you upset because you didn't catch fish with us, or because I didn't give you a filet? Cause I'll give you some fish...lord know's you'll go hungry waiting to catch one yourself.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:48 PM
Togalicious Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by sun tzu:

I think people who post "hot spots" are idiots. I think they are people who have a tough time catching fish or fish once every other week. They don't care if 1000 people show up to a "hot spot" the next day because they won't be there, they don't fish much.

Its the yahoos who fish every once in a awhile that feel the need to share their luck, and its luck cause stumbling onto a beach with fish is not skill, that causes all the problems.

Cowboy up or something...YAHOO!!!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Elliot:
<<Originally posted by RiverShark:

my favorite area-the south end of LBI. >>

Hi Rivershark,

If you ever run into a tan Jeep on the beach at LBI its probably me (especially in Holgate). Stop and say Hi! I am there Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays with my 8 year old son.

Good luck!

Thanks, appreciate the offer and will do. I think I may have seen you either last Friday or the Saturday before that on the beach around that area after 3PM probably closer to 5PM. I drive a 1996 Red 2 door Blazer but can't take it out on the beach. I haven't taken the the time to get beach access for it. Lately I've been fishing the jetty around the vehicle access area near the small bait shop in Holgate. I can't figure out why that guy doesn't open this time of year. I guess he doesn't need the money or he's too busy fishing himself. Anyhow, if I see you or you see me, flag eachother down. Always nice to talk to a fellow fisherman. Probably won't get down for another 10 days or so. I have some family obligations that I have to attend to although I'm trying to figure out a way to work in some fishing also. We'll see.

Tight Lines!
Old 10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
SS/Platinum

<<Originally posted by RiverShark:

Lately I've been fishing the jetty around the vehicle access area near the small bait shop in Holgate.>>

That spot that you fish at is really good! I know you need to get there early cause there is not much room. That exact spot is mentioned in Jim Freda's book.

The bait shop you are taking about closes when Old Barney does. I think he (owner) feels that he will not generate enough revenue during the off season. Its a shame to cause running out of bate in Holgate requires a long drive to replenish.

When I am in Holgate I usually don't wonder too far from the entrance too the beach, so come and say hi! We can have a beer, I mean soda.

2 weeks ago a truck got stuck in Holgate and in less than an hour it almost got pulled into the ocean. It took 2 tow trucks (and a big wad of cash) to pull it out. It was all over the news. Seems the guys car broke down at a narrow stretch of the beach while the tide was coming in. Talk about bad luck!

Now if only they put an air pump in that parking lot life would be simpler….

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2003, 02:12 PM
SS/Veteran

quote:
Originally posted by Michael a/k/a Kings over Queens:
Oh Vinny, now that was really mean. My only question is are you upset because you didn't catch fish with us, or because I didn't give you a filet? Cause I'll give you some fish...lord know's you'll go hungry waiting to catch one yourself.

I am upset because every day, sunny gives me the 75 / 100 / 85 fish reports, and everyday, I am stuck here in the office, or have to get home too early to make the 1+ hour drive each way. Plus, I really want to meet you. You are the only one that has made sunny laugh with your uncoordinated antics more than I have.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Kings over Queens

Thanks...I think.

I must admit that I do look funny in those waders. Suntzu and Bob are good sports for putting up with me trailing around them like a lost puppy.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:27 PM

I can't believe this thread has gone on for 6 (and I'm sure soon 7 pages) now. But then again, KMB is probably enjoying it very much since he will be getting his “credit” for all the views and fulfilling his oversized ego.

It's so hilarious that every reply back from KMB, he just seems to dig himself a deeper and deeper hole. Soon, it will be as deep as his eel well!

Anyway, my line of thinking is exactly like RiverShark. I enjoy learning all I can about the sport on my own. I just think it’s more challenging and enjoyable. I myself do not like to post “hot spots” just for the simple fact that if I do; I’m shooting myself in the foot the next time I go there. Lately however, my “hot spots” hasn’t been so hot but I still wake up in the mornings and get all excited on my way there. I don’t use 4 rod, 3 rods or even 2 rods when I fish. I bring my 1 Ugly Stick and stand there sometimes for 4-5 hours (without a spike) and even though most of the time I don’t catch anything, I enjoyed myself. What can be better than fishing off the beach with the wind and waves crashing in front of you just to spend some time alone and drift off?

I’m sure if I wanted to find another “hot-spot” to try out some where, I can reach out to the members here and ask personally with the right attitude and I’m sure I’ll get a reply. Blasting spots to the general public is just not cool. Do you fish for others to witness or fish for yourself for enjoyment? I know why I fish.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:19 PM

I don't get it, so much complaining and not enough fishing. I just signed up for the site, since a friend told me about this. And All I see is people (men) about places where people can get some good fishing in. ( To those that do post spots, I applaud you

I plan to post great spots since I like to share. The Rest of you that don't like it can just be quiet about it.

And if people want to come to my favorite spots, I'll have bait they can use, and a soda or beer for them, because a Hobby is all about having fun and meeting new people

[This message was edited by GERMAN_ANGLER on 10-30-03 at 04:32 PM.]
Old 10-30-2003, 04:49 PM

i have not been surfcasting as long as some of you, but i do put in my time and have learned some lessons about divulging info about fishing spots. For instance one night fishing with a new friend we beached several large fish after many nights of fruitless efforts, one a 63#er, my new friends best ever which he put on the wall. The next day everyone was having a good look at it and begging him to tell where he got it. "in the lip" was his only reply, why he would'nt even tell his own brother, which surprised me a bit. When i asked him why he just said he learned the hard way to keep his mouth shut about such things, so i fugured i'd do the same. Until one night a couple of years ago in october me and two friends had more fish then you could imagine. i had to cut the teaser off of my plug because bringing in two 25#ers at a time was hard work. My biggest that night was 48#. I owed a fishing friend a favor so i told him where we were at. The next night we arrived around 11pm to find the beach looking like opening day of trout season. Buggies with lights all over the water, people shouting about crossing lines, what a mess, but i knew better. The worst part was having to tell my two fishing partners what had happened. i learned my lesson the hard way, and will not make the mistake again. I'm not against sharing techniques and what not, but after you've had people tail you to fishing spots, etc, it just doesn't pay to share spots, unless theres no fish there.

MNSHDW
Old 10-30-2003, 05:07 PM

Original Quote: "If you ask me reading SS and getting locations is just outright cheating. I find hot spots and fish by doing my homework; talking the shops, talking to friends, following historic info, talking to other surfsters I meet. Going on SS and reading a spot and then fishing it is BS. You go to that spot, with 50 others, put up a good catch, then start bragging about it you did NOTHING to earn it. I could go into K-Mart and grab the stock boy take him down to the hotspot and put him into fish. He would be the next surf guru? I don't think so.
The lowest kind of scummer is the one that goes on-line, finds where fishing is hot, goes there and scores and then, of all things thinks that he/she is the Big Doo Doo."

Isn't this site SS part of the fishing community? Aren't most people on here "seasoned" anglers? Aren't these the same guys who talk in the shops and share on the beaches? Then isn't your statement a little hipocritical? I guess I am one of the Idiots then and a gagoon or something you guys (moderators) like to use, since I usually fish down south but have read reports about "North Beach" oops I gave away a spot...sorry!! I took the trip up North and walked into a blitz, forgive me for not being a great angler...actually I am the lowest scummer right? So when I got there I let one of the sharpies cast my "yellow" yazori out and catch me some blues, then I told him hey I have read that they are catching bass as well "can you catch one of those for me too"? That is what you make us feel like who are not in your inner circle. I fish hard all the time and have been learning a lot since I started this sport in 99' I have fished all my life but really start surfcasting 4 years ago. I have a lot to learn...However, just because I went to a spot that this week is considered a "hot spot" I still had to do the fishing. Read the water look for bait to optimize my chances of catching fish and present my lure. If you don't think that this will help me catch fish in the future I totally disagree with you. I have never experienced the blitz' that I have heard of from generations before me and to have a chance to get into fish I took the chance of going to that spot and it payed off. A memory that will last a long time. After all isnt that what "our" thing is all about. But I guess I am not in "our" thing in your mind.

So, I will be heading to the hotspot again soon this time I will wear a big scarlet "L" on my jacket to let you know I am a scum Lurker!!!

Old 10-30-2003, 05:17 PM
sun tzu

quote:
Originally posted by GERMAN_ANGLER:
I don't get it, so much complaining and not enough fishing. I just signed up for the site, since a friend told me about this. And All I see is people (men) about places where people can get some good fishing in. ( To those that do post spots, I applaud you http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/image...ies/cheers.gif

I plan to post great spots since I like to share. The Rest of you that don't like it can just be quiet about it. http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/image...squintfawk.gif http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/image...ies/screwy.gif

And if people want to come to my favorite spots, I'll have bait they can use, and a soda or beer for them, because a Hobby is all about having fun and meeting new people

[This message was edited by GERMAN_ANGLER on 10-30-03 at 04:32 PM.]

You like to share? Give me $1000. What you don't realize is when you post a specific spot you are screwing over a bunch of your fellow anglers
Old 10-30-2003, 05:22 PM
sun tzu

quote:
Originally posted by tmccarth:
Original Quote: "If you ask me reading SS and getting locations is just outright cheating. I find hot spots and fish by doing my homework; talking the shops, talking to friends, following historic info, talking to other surfsters I meet. Going on SS and reading a spot and then fishing it is BS. You go to that spot, with 50 others, put up a good catch, then start bragging about it you did NOTHING to earn it. I could go into K-Mart and grab the stock boy take him down to the hotspot and put him into fish. He would be the next surf guru? I don't think so.
The lowest kind of scummer is the one that goes on-line, finds where fishing is hot, goes there and scores and then, of all things thinks that he/she is the Big Doo Doo."

Isn't this site SS part of the fishing community? Aren't most people on here "seasoned" anglers? Aren't these the same guys who talk in the shops and share on the beaches? Then isn't your statement a little hipocritical? I guess I am one of the Idiots then and a gagoon or something you guys (moderators) like to use, since I usually fish down south but have read reports about "North Beach" oops I gave away a spot...sorry!! I took the trip up North and walked into a blitz, forgive me for not being a great angler...actually I am the lowest scummer right? So when I got there I let one of the sharpies cast my "yellow" yazori out and catch me some blues, then I told him hey I have read that they are catching bass as well "can you catch one of those for me too"? That is what you make us feel like who are not in your inner circle. I fish hard all the time and have been learning a lot since I started this sport in 99' I have fished all my life but really start surfcasting 4 years ago. I have a lot to learn...However, just because I went to a spot that this week is considered a "hot spot" I still had to do the fishing. Read the water look for bait to optimize my chances of catching fish and present my lure. If you don't think that this will help me catch fish in the future I totally disagree with you. I have never experienced the blitz' that I have heard of from generations before me and to have a chance to get into fish I took the chance of going to that spot and it payed off. A memory that will last a long time. After all isnt that what "our" thing is all about. But I guess I am not in "our" thing in your mind.

So, I will be heading to the hotspot again soon this time I will wear a big scarlet "L" on my jacket to let you know I am a scum Lurker!!!

You didn't see me type "North Beach" anywhere. When I am a moderator you will not see a location posted anyone. You will actually have to go find the fish yourself instead of trolling the internet looking to get "lucky" off of other stupid people's work. Anyone with half a brain does not post spots, does not talk to tackle shops, does not have his picture in anything, and lies through his teeth if anyone is so stupid as to ask him if he is "catching anything".

Its is not "sharing" it is selfish, stupid, bragging my insecure little men who never catch any fish and want to be internet heros. I fished North Beach every day for two weeks, I caught a ton of fish every day, just me Bobp and a couple of others. You didn't read about it anywhere. Then, some idiots stumbled on to a good thing, posted all over the internet about north beach. last Monday there were 10 of us, by friday 200 with guys coming from as far as PA and Conn. We still caught fish, but you had to fight through yahoos, tangled lines, meat men, etc. You see people who chase down internet reports are generally very lazy, they sit there fat arses in front of their computers and wait to read about where the fishing is good. Then they rid down to that spot, squeeze their fat arses into a pair of orviz waders till yjey look like a hairy sausage, pull out their VS's and run up and down the beach like blithering idiots chasing birds. They kill the first bass they catch (they always take as many fish as the law allows to show the folks back home) and then stand in the parking lot talking about what heros they are. pathetic.

so, when you "share" a spot here on the internet what you are doing is screwing over those of us that fish 100 beaches through 100 tides to find the one that is producing. I am not your be-atch.

For all you idiots looking to glean some info so you don't have to move your fat arses, while missing my point, understand that one fish has been caught at NORTH BEACH ion the last two days. The bait has moved. Don't believe me? Feel free to go waste a day there.

[This message was edited by sun tzu on 10-30-03 at 05:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by sun tzu on 10-30-03 at 05:33 PM.]
Old 10-30-2003, 05:39 PM

You are right that wasn't your quote...it was bassin13's, that I responded to. I guess what I am trying to say is that I didnt go liter anyones beaches or act like an idiot. I didnt cast over anyone's shoulder or walk into someone's spot. I understand the etiquette of the sport, and trust me I put in my time and have gone up to that "spot" in the past and have both caught and got the skunk, so it's not a secret! I happened to do very well that day, if I offend some of the ellite by showing up from word of mouth, I am sorry. I understand about the masses' showing up, but I just don't get the "stay away from my haunts" attitude. So when you track the migration down south, none of you head down our way? If we had fish busting on bait for a week straight I would just expect numbers of anglers showing up. By the way I met some real nice gentlemen up there and they were local sharpies that didnt seem like they had an issue. It just reminded them of Hatteras.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Redbone:
Who cares about your gear or your car. Hopefully you will get laid off and we won't have to hear from you anymore, because you'll be to busy selling all your junk to buy food.

Nice fish, you are obviously a Googan or you wouldnt post such a pathetic picture.

99 mountaineer rods and reels.

What I mentioned was not bragging. Just wondering how I can afford such toys working at toco bell you moron.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 PM
sun tzu

Your reading me all wrong. I am happy you walked into a blitz, I hope you find one every day. If you met me on the beach I would help you out anyway I could. Enjoy your good fortune, enjoy the ruits of hard work, luck, skill, whatever. All I am ssaying is that there is absolutley no good reason to post on the internet that you caught fish at XX location. It serves no legitimate purpose, and it does a desservice to yourself, and those that fished that beach.
Closed Thread