Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:11 PM

I PICKED UP A CALCUTTA 401TE . IM LOOKING FOR A 7' PLUGGING ROD ANY SUGESTIONS
Old 03-07-2005, 09:06 PM
SS/Veteran

yeah ive caught them off the 69st pier on small tiny tins & used em for bait on the party boats for ling & whiting but never "sought" them out exclusively for striper bait.

hoping to make this year the 1st. got a good idea of where to start. going to have to probe a bit more for some more info. frank's insider article was also another good start.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:26 AM

If you guys can find a Tractor Supply or Central Tractor or Southern States or some other Ag or horse supply place,you can get a 10 gal or bigger water bucket. You will need an aerator pump that operates on DC/cig lighter plug. If you can find an insulated bucket the better. It has to be ROUND or they will die and it will have to be covered or they will jump out. If you can't find aerator, you can try a couple of aspirin and about 1/3 the volume of the bucket in ice. The chlorine is mostly out of the ice when you buy ice more than a couple of days old. This is for short term use only at most a couple of days. If longer term storage for home I would get one of the big rubbermaid horse or cow tanks. 50+ gal with a big 400 gal per hour aerator/filter. Use rock salt not iodized salt. This works on shiners and shad
The bigger the bait the more gal per fish. 24"
shad you want 3 gal per fish,etc. Don't worry about feeding them BUT if no filters you will need to change out the water every hour or so for the first 2-3 hrs as they eject all their waste when they are scared. If they get red spots on their noses from bumping into the walls/corners, you might as well cut them up for bait as the bigger stripers won't touch them. Good luck
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 AM

Leroy, check out the new GLoomis Pro Blue PBR 843C or 844C.... either should be a perfect match for your new Calcutta.

Give a man a fish & you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:55 PM

RobSWitzer:

I just saw your comment about Lamiglas rods...
last summer I bought the BL6640 for $118 in a Sheepshead Bay for $118...call up some local tackle stores and see what happens.

mudman
Old 03-10-2005, 11:05 PM
SS/Veteran

My new Tica Libra SA4000 and Tica 9' UEHA TC2 arrived today two days after ordering them from Digital Dagger for $127.

Man, that reel feels solid and very smooth and does look very braid-friendly. The rod is so light I could hardly believe it has the backbone to bring in some big bass yet I have to believe comments I read that it will.

I can't wait to try them out for real but I have a good feeling I won't be sorry it didn't cost me a leg and arm.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
SS/Veteran

What you guys need for the herring is a livewell set-up. The entire system is a lot of work and maintainence, but if you have Herring in June it is deifnitely worth it. One herring equals one bass. (Good ratio!) The pump, you hook up to you car/truck battery (or cigarette lighter), you can use tap water but need to let it set for a couple hours to de-chlorinize, and then you need some de-foamer, and some Tranquil to help keep the fish calm there little jets until you are ready to use them. You need to keep the water cool by putting ice in the well ocasionally, too warm...dead herring.
I don't use the standard live well that most guys use, I use one that I got from Cabela's several years back and it works great and I love it. I have had no problems with it. Herring are delicate, not like the hardy bunker, so a small battery operate air pump won't cut the cheese. It has to be fairly big, round, with real good circulaion and oxygen flow. I will try to post a picture of mine (Lord give me patience).
Old 03-15-2005, 11:49 AM
SS/Veteran

I picked up some Tuf line for a plug set up...going to give that a shot. I have heard its basically powerpro, but a tad cheaper.

GT, you have to see what else I got up my sleeve.

4 custom bent butt 50# class rods

got wasabi?