Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Default Spring fishing tactics - Southern Jersey shore

Hey guys, I was new to fishing the jersey shore last fall, was late to the game but got out twice at the end of the fall and fished some artificials around north Ocean City. Ive been reading all winter about spring jersey striper fishing and am coming back to all you experts out there since the forum was so helpful back in the fall when i started.

How should I go about this spring when I get a weekend here or there to head to Jersey? Should I concentrate on artificials (bucktails and soft baits) off jetties, etc. Or should I work on bait fishing? Clams or Bunker? I see people saying clams but I thought spring was all about the Bunker run out of the rivers?

Any help on a young newbie this spring would be awesome. I didnt hook up my first time out this past fall so Im counting on spring for my first striper, just need some guidance so Im not wandering around aimlessly. Thanks so much for the tips, anxiously awaiting spring. Cheers.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: Spring fishing tactics - Southern Jersey shore

My few years of experience tell me some general points; early spring is focused on bait, clams, bloodworms, chunks. As the water warms and the fish get more active, artificials step in, with plastics, bucktails with curly tails, sluggos, etc leading the way with plugs following, esp when the bunker do show up. Can you get a group together and go out with a captain either from an inlet or from raritan bay or you can check with Shore catch and get a beach guide. You will not only catch fish but I rely on them to teach me something every trip. And keep your eye on water temp..and your first one is out there waiting and it will be such a rush...good luck
Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

March and early April, think back bays and inlets. As the water warms you can move to the outer inlets and Ocean. They do well at corsons and the rocks along the north in OC in the spring though locals fish the backwaters hard.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Guys, thanks so much for the advice so far. Im going to keep picking your brains, since Im unfamiliar with the concept of back bay fishing, I attached a google map picture of the bay behind Ocean City with a bunch of numbered push pins. Can anyone give me some guidance on where in these bays one should target? Is anywhere as good as the other? Im not sure what kind of access there are to these places outside of the beachhome communities but I will be sure to drive around when I get down there this spring.

My girlfriend has a beach home in OC that I can use so I consider it my home base and want to learn that area. Ive also seen the boatramp area at Corsons Inlet, is that considered back bay even though its only just inside the mouth of the inlet? It sounds like bait fishing should be my priority in early spring.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 AM

I can only say a couple of things.

1. The locals who do fish down in OC guard their spots, their good spots by season, very closely. I've never seen them posted anywhere. Not even Frank's book has them outlined.

2. Access to backbays anywhere in NJ requires local, current, scouted knowledge due to changing access from construction, regulation and ownership. Case in point the construction on the Rt 52 causeway into OC and the closure of the other north end bridge (#1 above) (edit: now I'm pretty sure the north end bridge is closed.... I'm getting that and the beasely point bridge mixed up at the moment, either way.. one of those bridges is permanently closed the other was/is temporary... I think )

3. I fish the 2 islands NORTH of there (Absecon and Brigantine islands) and hence couldn't really help much even if I wanted to

4. Lastly, I do know of a public, fishable spot just at the outlet north (in your picture) of #4. There is a public pier next to the offshore side of that bridge fondly called the "Queer Pier". That is a good spot for kayaks, there is a lighted pier that sometimes produces, public parking and foot access to the sods if desired. Just ignore strange parked cars and vans (seriously) but NO ONE fishing there has had any problems, and families do fish the pier during "normal" hours so it's not all that bad, but that's it's name
Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 PM

Rob,

Thanks alot for the input, I understand noone wants to give up their spots. I was just trying to figure out a general strategy for the types of places to target stripers in the spring. I basically plan on wandering around myself with a rod and maybe some clams and figure out where I can park and/or fish. I have driven by that pier that you mentioned on the north side of the inlet, maybe ill head there and see what happens when I drown some bait. I remember the route 52 bridge being under construction last summer but have no idea what has transpired since last september.

In addition, if anyone plans on heading out any of the upcoming weekends and doesnt care that a young newbie tags along, let me know when and where, Ill buy bait! Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Just like anywhere in the spring think about putting a bait on a warmed flat near the top outgoing. I do know the inlets get hot around april though.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 PM

52 is undergoing construction again this year. They decided to *not* close it, but there will be major construction going on into the summer.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauthk141 View Post

How should I go about this spring when I get a weekend here or there to head to Jersey? Should I concentrate on artificials (bucktails and soft baits) off jetties, etc. Or should I work on bait fishing? Clams or Bunker? I see people saying clams but I thought spring was all about the Bunker run out of the rivers?

Here are a couple of tips..

Number one, I would stick to throwing the baits on the beachfront either just south of Great Egg Harbor Inlet or just north of Corson's Inlet.. Clams will work but early in the year like March and April BloodWorms are killer on any Bass cruising the surf line looking to eat.. Warm/Calm days are your best bet there.. The bunker run will come a little later like sometime in May into June...

Number two, if fishing the backbays go artificial all the way. Small presentations like bombers and yo-zuri's which are hard plastic swimmers work great during moving water and run high up in the water column. The number one lure in my book to use on hungry bass and especially during the early spring are soft-plastics like Fin-S-Fish and multiple other brands.. Small like 4 & 5" ones rigged on a lead/jig head in sizes going 3/8oz and 1/2oz. The fish this time of the year are still holding deep and you want to get your lure down to them, and work ( jig/retrieve) them slow.. During the first few days of late winter and early spring time your trips to the afternoons when the sun has been shining on the water and warming it up. This is also the time you want to concentrate on the flats of the waterways where the water temps are heating up faster then the deeper holes as the fish will be more active. And when you are talking backbay fishing think Out-Going Tide, you can catch on the in-coming but if you really want to increase your chances of success look for times around a ebbing tide...

Good Luck and Enjoy.. Pick a spot that looks good to you first hand , not just off a map ( which is a good starting point ) but you really want to hit a area hard and get to know it . Don't try to learn every spot all at one time...