Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 05-31-2003, 08:48 PM
SS/Veteran

A LITTLE INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ON THE FOLLOWING:
1. I KNOW MV/NT HAVE BEEN SLOW GETTING STARTED BUT HAS ANYONE GOTTEN ANY REPORTS FROM THERE OR RELATED AREAS.
2. IS BASS FISHING STILL REAL GOOD ON THE CAPE DURING THE SUMMER? IS IT WORTH AN EFFORT TO GO THERE IN THE SUMMER? HOW DO YOU FISH IT? AND MORE IMPORTANTLY IS THERE ANYWAY POSSIBLE FOR SOME POOR OLD BASS FISHERMAN TO GO OUT THERE IN THE SUMMER AND STAY FOR RELATIVELY CHEAP (CAMPGROUNDS, ETC. ???)
Old 05-31-2003, 08:48 PM
SS/Veteran

A LITTLE INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ON THE FOLLOWING:
1. I KNOW MV/NT HAVE BEEN SLOW GETTING STARTED BUT HAS ANYONE GOTTEN ANY REPORTS FROM THERE OR RELATED AREAS.
2. IS BASS FISHING STILL REAL GOOD ON THE CAPE DURING THE SUMMER? IS IT WORTH AN EFFORT TO GO THERE IN THE SUMMER? HOW DO YOU FISH IT? AND MORE IMPORTANTLY IS THERE ANYWAY POSSIBLE FOR SOME POOR OLD BASS FISHERMAN TO GO OUT THERE IN THE SUMMER AND STAY FOR RELATIVELY CHEAP (CAMPGROUNDS, ETC. ???)
Old 06-01-2003, 12:23 PM

I don't fish the islands but I fish in the bay and on the backside. The cape is known for its striper fishery from May to Oct. Your best bet from shore is from Chatham to P-Town fishing all of the backside beaches. Or if you want to charter a boat...try theJanine B . That is the boat that I work on and we consistantly catch fish all summer. For lodging arrangements. You can camp at Nickerson State Park in Brewster. You better call soon if you want to reserve a space because it fills up fast. Or if you have an RV you can take it on the beach at Race Point but I do not know who you contact about that. Hopefully the info helps. If you need any fishing advice feel free to reply.

Tight Lines
viamarij@union.edu
capecodsportfishing.com
Old 06-01-2003, 12:37 PM

if race point or outer backside beaches are your place, then N. Truro has two campgrounds right at the water at coast gaurd and head of the meadow, and ptown had dunes edge about 10 seconds from nelsons bait and tackle, and a mile from race point and herring cove. Most will openly agree the fishing is the best here.

What the hell is a Pirke Jig?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:54 PM

All the permits for Race Point have been sold out. Including self contained vehicle. They sold out in about 3 weeks.... I know alot of angry fishermen....
Old 06-20-2003, 07:35 PM
SS/Veteran

So if I fished up there after Labor day, working the beaches front and back, what approach would I use as far as plugs....or bait...I would assume that there is a difference between front and back?

What is the deal w/beach access.. I don't mind walking, but if I could bring the buggy on... do they have 3 day passes?
Sorry I have so many shotgun-type questions.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:22 PM

backside is the ocean side, front is bayside. bayside is mostly boat action or near estuaries and harbors (ptown harbor, wellfleet harbor, pamet river, rock harbor, etc., backside is race point through monomoy, better surf fishing than the bayside. But jigging is outstanding off wellfleet in the bay, on billingsgate shoal. Different types of fishing generally, but you never know where the fish are and so the methods flip flop...but generally that is right.

What the hell is a Pirke Jig?
Old 06-22-2003, 03:30 PM

Try Balliston or Head of the Meadow (or any near there) with an on-shore breeze. Jigs worked slow (more waves=more weight) or sand eels on the bottom, or eels have worked great for me. Get ready to walk since the closest holes to the parking lot are most often crowded.